Half-Life 2: Episode One Gold!

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Episode One's gold, and it's coming to us in only a week, on June 1st.

"Given the rapid changes in PC gaming, we expect episodic games will have the same impact on single-player gaming that Counter-Strike had on multiplayer," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "The frequent releases of upgraded technology and new content works better for both consumers and developers, and is one of the key reasons Counter-Strike grew to be 80% of the online action market. We decided that a follow-up to Half-Life 2 delivered in 18 months with our first episode was more in tune with what our customers want than waiting 6 years for another monolithic product."

Not long to wait now! I know that most of you are preloaded and ready to go, like I am, and drooling in anticipation for these next few hours of orgiastic bonafide Half-Life 2 goodness!
[br]
Edit: I've also just stumbled across this brand new Episode One video on Fileplanet. Thanks to DisturbedofX1 and my little brother on the PC next to me. It's not much, but it's labeled #1, so it's safe to assume we're going to see more before June 1st.

Gabe Newell said:
Given the rapid changes in PC gaming, we expect episodic games will have the same impact on single-player gaming that Counter-Strike had on multiplayer
F***.

Pre-ordered and pre-loaded.

It means buckle your seatbelts Dorothy, because Kansas ... is going bye bye.

I can't wait!! Please give me another video or best yet, a pre-load and video. PLEASE?!?!? :dork: :imu: :dork:

great news, but..

"We decided that a follow-up to Half-Life 2 delivered in 18 months with our first episode was more in tune with what our customers want than waiting 6 years for another monolithic product."
i would rather have the last one i think

I would jump off a bridge if I had to wait six more years :|

I would probably wait 6 years if I had to wait 6 years. Or do something else in the meantime.

Oh Yes! Pre-loaded ready for picking up the retail cd-key :D

Ennui said:
"We decided that a follow-up to Half-Life 2 delivered in 18 months with our first episode was more in tune with what our customers want than waiting 6 years for another monolithic product."
Valve shouldn't pretend that it would have taken them six years to create a "monolithic" expansion pack. Save the analogy for Half-Life 3.

*In the meantime, demands a midnight release.*

But wait, what does the success of Counter-Strike have to do with episodic games? CS simply nailed it first try and became extremely popular even before Steam.
"The frequent releases of upgraded technology and new content works better for both consumers and developers, and is one of the key reasons Counter-Strike grew to be 80% of the online action market.
Err?
They are saying that one of the key reasons CS became so popular is because of frequent upgrades in technology. Wtf are they talking about?

Can someone explain how these relate?

In the oh so famous words of Kupoartist, it's gone Spandau Ballet!

They're comparing the impact, not the two different things.

Add me to the list of people who would jump off the bridge if we had to wait for six years.

Ennui said:
They're comparing the impact, not the two different things.
Read what I quoted.. They are saying directly that one of the key reasons CS became a success is because of frequent upgrades in techonology. Which makes absolutely no sense and has nothing to do with why CS is popular.

Apparently CS "transformed" multiplayer so Ep1 is supposed to "transform" single player. I'd beg to differ with cost and all but all the mods here are episodic fanboys. :cheese:

vegeta897 said:
Read what I quoted.. They are saying directly that one of the key reasons CS became a success is because of frequent upgrades in techonology. Which makes absolutely no sense and has nothing to do with why CS is popular.
You're reading it wrong. He's saying that episodic gaming will be as influential as Counter-Strike because episodic gaming adapts to frequent upgrades in technology and all that; he wasn't saying CS was a success because of that, only that episodic content will be for that reason.

Edit: updated the post with a link to a new trailer that both Disturbed and my little brother (trapped at HLF) just tipped me off to.

Apparently it's a new trailer, I haven't checked it out yet though.

Ah, ok, I knew that they were relating it to CS with regards to success, but that one line just sounded odd.

Thanks for the mirror btw!

Edit: I'm sorry but I still can't get over this. "The frequent releases of upgraded technology and new content works better for both consumers and developers, and is one of the key reasons Counter-Strike grew to be 80% of the online action market."

I can't figure out how this is relating the successes. They are saying it directly. They describe 'frequent releases of upgraded technology and new content' in two ways, seperated by the word and, which is 'works better for both consumers and developers', which does make sense, but also that it's why CS was a success. They don't say "just like how CS became so popular, this will too" anywhere.

It's just really bugging me :p

It's on www.filefront.com. No waiting in damn lines. It's also only a few seconds long.

edit: Well, it does have some new music.

I think I'll wait until all three episodes are released then buy them all at a discount. I'd feel cheated if I paid $20 for a game which I then finish in one night.

36 minutes to go.....36 mins to go...35 minutes to go...

Alternative link?

Harryz said:
36 minutes to go.....36 mins to go...35 minutes to go...

Alternative link?
Check the former page :D I'm updating it in the news post too.

Back