Half-Life 2: Episode One Released!

Finished it just a couple of minutes ago ****ing awesome but I only wish it would have been either longer or had few new enemies and weapons. Can't wait for Episode 2, that new mini-stalker is the coolest thing I've ever seen in a game :O

Au-heppa said:
With SiN Episodes: Emergence you got SiN 1 and SiN 1: Multiplayer, with Half-Life 2: Episode One you got Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life Deathmatch: Source. If you don't get anything extra with Episode Two it might be cheaper.

Nooooo, you got those for free with the purchase of the product.

Au-heppa said:
With SiN Episodes: Emergence you got SiN 1 and SiN 1: Multiplayer, with Half-Life 2: Episode One you got Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life Deathmatch: Source. If you don't get anything extra with Episode Two it might be cheaper.
Doubt it. Its like the 1st issue of any magazine. Charge half price and throw in freebies. Get them hooked so they pay the normal price without all the frills the next month on.

Not saying there will be a price rise but dont expect a stack of goodies.

Smigit said:
Doubt it. Its like the 1st issue of any magazine. Charge half price and throw in freebies. Get them hooked so they pay the normal price without all the frills the next month on.

Not saying there will be a price rise but dont expect a stack of goodies.

The stack of goodies will be consistent updating and implementation of new engine features and used to there full potential in every new episode!

Well, i loved, it actually surpassed my expectations. It took me about 6 hours( so 18 hours for 60 bucks all together) I think thats very fair, most games are that length right now anyway and arn't nearly as good.

I just finished it, and I guess the experience could be summarized as "Short but sweet!"
It was incredibly intense though, one of the most intense games I've played recently. I love when games get really intense, like CoD2, F.E.A.R, ect.
I do agree that it was quite short... but in that short time, it managed to be more crazy-awesome than a lot of games.

I just have to add, I loved the "van-ride" =D

Played it through today. Started playing at around 13:45 and stopped at 16:30. That's a bit short of 3 hours but the content was nice. The start was a bit dull, running around in the dark and not seeing much which took some time. Could've been longer but ok anyhow. We'll see what they make of the next one. Probably "you're with barney now!". What got me was that I didn't see any chapter titles anywhere, so I thought the game was going to be longer as I waited for the chapters to change.

"you're with barney now!"
hehe hope not, I dislike barney as a character. Hes ok but I find him somewhat dull. Certainly doesnt have the personality of say Alyx or charm of Eli

ANyway there were chapter titles. They werent in your face so maybe you missed them?

No, they didn't pop up. I would've seen them, because I saw the first one. They just weren't there for me. Just the maps changing, no titles until the game ended.

Odd, well I duno. They should be there so perhaps something got muddled up

Finished it yesterday, playing through commentary now, worth every penny...any idea when the next one is coming out?

The chapter titles were all caps in HL2 and HL1... they weren't in Episode One (sometimes they didn't appear at all like "Exit 17")... they should change that.

played through in 4,5h and loved everything about it :) can't wait E2

Amazing game, If they could pump out episodes every 6 months on the dot...I'd definitely rather have this than one huge game for quite a while...though I don't doubt I'll want HL3 eventually. :)

Just the fact that we can analyze each episode bit by bit instead of taking a huge game like HL2 as a whole chunk makes it more interesting each time around--you get to cram much more story into a shorter time span, and thus we can examine it closer as well!

Great great great.

Just finished it myself. I loved the length of it, but won't mention how long it took me.

But I am starting to tire of certain aspects. One of which is always having to switch to the gravity gun or crowbar to smash open the thousands upon thousands of boxes. I'm sick of walking into a side room that has a couple of enemies and just endless boxes.

Overall, I rate it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

wormstrangler said:
Just finished it myself. I loved the length of it, but won't mention how long it took me.

It's okay, this forum is safe. Took me ~8 hours on my second playthrough.

wormstrangler said:
But I am starting to tire of certain aspects. One of which is always having to switch to the gravity gun or crowbar to smash open the thousands upon thousands of boxes. I'm sick of walking into a side room that has a couple of enemies and just endless boxes.

A level without boxes/barrels is the holy grail of FPS design :p

wormstrangler said:
Overall, I rate it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Let me guess - you deducted points for value? That's just unfair.

99.vikram said:
It's okay, this forum is safe. Took me ~8 hours on my second playthrough.

I don't know for sure, but it was around the 3hr mark I'm guessing. Spread over two nights.

Let me guess - you deducted points for value? That's just unfair.

Nope. Like I said earlier in this thread, I ride my dirt bike for about 4hrs max a week. I just had to pay $736 AUD for repairs on that thing. If I don't bitch about the crappy value in that, then I'm definitely not going to bitch about the value for a 3 hour game.

I don't rate like game sites or magazines, where an average game receives a 7, a good game gets an 8 and a great game gets a 9 and anything below 7 is classed as crap.

I rate using the whole range. An average game would be a 5 - so a 7 for EP1 is 'good'.

I just got bored in a couple of areas (running hostages to the train station stands out as a low point). And I'm really getting sick of those damn boxes and having to break them open.

A level without boxes/barrels is the holy grail of FPS design

Well then that must make Serious Sam the best FPS series EVER...

wormstrangler said:
Well then that must make Serious Sam the best FPS series EVER...

You mean it isn't :eek:

I meant in addition to good story, gameplay and level design.

Back