Half-Life 2 Feature in UK's PC Format

rec

Reaction score
For those of you reading this from the United Kingdom, be sure to head down to your local news agency and pick up the December edition of PC Format!

You'll be pleasantly greated with a 6 page article on Half-Life 2 including detailed Source information, hardware notes, a Doom 3 vs. HL2 comparison and even boasts a "Gordon Freeman Look-a-like" piece. Thanks to Shade for the heads-up!

I can't believe that there hasn't been a post by a whining, disgruntled 13 year old fanboy complaining that "you can't trust anything valve says" or "HL2 is a POS coz i've seen the code and I'm a l33t programmer".

And a lack of such messages is a good thing :)

Oh - its a good article as well.

Originally posted by supermeerkat
I can't believe that there hasn't been a post by a whining, disgruntled 13 year old fanboy complaining that "you can't trust anything valve says" or "HL2 is a POS coz i've seen the code and I'm a l33t programmer".

Don't tempt them, quick, knock on wood!

I don't mean to be a jerk, but this lack of "important" news is driving me insane. I guess this is the best news we can get at this moment, and I'm not even from the UK, lol. Are the Valve people still alive? If you don't know, try poking them with a stick.

Why the hell was the thread locked in the Half-Life II forum, with a link directing me to the comments page of a news post which was composed from the beforementioned locked thread?

Ugh.

Must find some scans ;) but on second thought, I might actually buy it :D

Any word on whether this thing has any interesting new information?

I'm getting a little tired of seeing "Half-Life 2 exclusive!" on magazines only to find that they know and have nothing that wasn't available right after e3. Fragmaster is also right: magazines are a very important bellweather of what the outlook on the game's release is, because they have to plan to do a big review months ahead of when the game is actually going to be released. The fact that even the latest mags are not promising to have HL2 reviews or articles in upcoming magazines is very troubling in this regard.

Originally posted by Apos
Any word on whether this thing has any interesting new information?

I'm getting a little tired of seeing "Half-Life 2 exclusive!" on magazines only to find that they know and have nothing that wasn't available right after e3. Fragmaster is also right: magazines are a very important bellweather of what the outlook on the game's release is, because they have to plan to do a big review months ahead of when the game is actually going to be released. The fact that even the latest mags are not promising to have HL2 reviews or articles in upcoming magazines is very troubling in this regard.

According to Shade70uk, who originally posted the thread, the magazine details "...both games feature self shadowing models and dynamic shadows."

So, HL2 has self shadowing, which, last I checked, is news :)

Originally posted by Eternity
Why the hell was the thread locked in the Half-Life II forum, with a link directing me to the comments page of a news post which was composed from the beforementioned locked thread?

Ugh.

rec was just doing his job, cleaning up the forums :)

Originally posted by Eternity
Why the hell was the thread locked in the Half-Life II forum, with a link directing me to the comments page of a news post

Our news items gain more exposure than our forums specifically. People can read the news page, regardless of if they're a forum regular, and choose to reply or not. Hence, it's better to try and keep discussion regarding certain topics trapped in news comments when the news is posted, rather than have it spread across multiple threads, some of which some people may never see.

Originally posted by rec
Our news items gain more exposure than our forums specifically. People can read the news page, regardless of if they're a forum regular, and choose to reply or not. Hence, it's better to try and keep discussion regarding certain topics trapped in news comments when the news is posted, rather than have it spread across multiple threads, some of which some people may never see.

Yep, and you best not step on Rec's Shoes, dis be his turf.
:)

I have the mag in front of me and it is an interesting read... but like other people have said, it's just repeating old news with new words. I was amused by the whole "Everything you need for a pimping half-life 2 system" box out; I can't wait for the first person to ask if their mouse will be compatable with the game ;)

Does it list the requirements of HL2, specifically does it say that a "Net Connection" is required?
--
Grumps

Back