Half-Life 2 Hitboxes

Deacon

Reaction score
i been playing Half-life recently and i noticed it seem to take ages to kill the soldiers
maybe its because i am use to playing counter-strike
but i was wondering if anyone knew weather hl2 would have hitboxes simlar to couter-strike
so that you can kill people with 1 shot to the head where as in half-life it did'nt seem to matter where you shot them it still took so many bullets to put them down :afro:

It should have headshots....its next gen tech we are talking bout here :)

i wonder if you will kull it if you hit them in the heart or any majour organ. i hope the damage point's are calculated @ where you hit someone. like the stomaugh is 50% healt off.

yeh would be real cool but chances are your gonna hit a major organ unless ur a barny bent eye ;)
then the game would be so easy if u could hit them in a viotle organ if this was it would have to work both ways so if they hit you in a viotle organ u die
sorry about spelling at terrible :D

Half-Life had hitboxes... Try useing the revolver. Headshot = death on human soldier. Not headshot = not death. Your probbly confused because if you use the SMG. It's so inaccurate your not going to hit the head. You can also notice hitboxes on the alien grunts. They have armor over most of their bodies (you see sparks) but shoot their belly and you see blood (also does more damage).

-Straylight

in HL2 i'm gonna shoot a sci in the foot, I wonder what it will do ? :D, will he limp around ? who knows.

be class if he tuned round n smacked you reet on teh nose :D

Originally posted by Majestic XII
Doom 3 have per polly damage...wonder if HL2 got the same?

whats per polly damage mean m8???

Originally posted by Deacon
be class if he tuned round n smacked you reet on teh nose :D

Think that a wittle too "good" for HL2 ? lol, it would be so kewl to see the fear in the sci's eyes after he reliased he just punched you, say hello to my little friend... lol

that you get a wound exactly at the place that the bullet hits the model so you can practicly make a wound on every pixel :)

Originally posted by Deacon
whats per polly damage mean m8???

Polly is short for polygon. The engine can detect exactly where the bullit hit. No hitboxes :)

Geeze I have been playing DoD and whenever I play CS I think it has incredibly unrealistic hitboxes as it takes like 10 hits with the TMP in the chest to kill someone.

Originally posted by Belisarius
Geeze I have been playing DoD and whenever I play CS I think it has incredibly unrealistic hitboxes as it takes like 10 hits with the TMP in the chest to kill someone.

But then again....CS isnt realism.

(and cs is so uncool it can be)

aye but cs has always had funneh hit boxes and they've changed them so many times

Originally posted by FiShEh
aye but cs has always had funneh hit boxes and they've changed them so many times

Hitboxes are history now, no new games will use those crappy things anymore....thats teh win.

I used to play CS.

I liked it too.

It was fun for a bit. But then 1.0 came out. Fools. Fools! Damn them all to hell!

Anyway. Hitboxes are funny, if they arent any good, you can shoot someone in the neck like 10 times and it thinks its the torso, so they are fine.

Really more of a game design choice than a technology problem at this point. A certain degree of body specific damage is nice, but when it gets out of hand, it can be wrong for certain kinds of games. HL certainly had some degree of specific damage, and actually, I don't think much about it needed changing. Unless you're going to have severable body parts, or disability damage (i.e., shooting someone in the leg will not kill them no matter how many times, but they wont be able to walk anymore), having damage areas for like, every other finger is silly. You need extremeties, torso, and head areas to be realistic.

FAR more important to gameplay is making sure enemies respond to being shot: the grunts were great, but if you shot them in the arm from around the corner, and they couldn't see you, they'd just stand there, confused. Taking damage should not only get them alert, but searching out where the attack came from.

Haha... if you shot someone in the leg "no matter how many times"... they would die from blood loss and shock.

And planet side doesn't have any bitboxes because it's MMORPG, and also because it's gay. 1.4 gig beta for about 5 days play, THANKS SONY. fags

I thought goldeneye had good enough hitboxes... and that game is like 5 years old too, if not more.

so what will they use instead of hitboxes cause i don't really know how it works wif out em???

Originally posted by Wesisapie
Haha... if you shot someone in the leg "no matter how many times"... they would die from blood loss and shock.

And planet side doesn't have any bitboxes because it's MMORPG, and also because it's gay. 1.4 gig beta for about 5 days play, THANKS SONY. fags

I thought goldeneye had good enough hitboxes... and that game is like 5 years old too, if not more.

Did you download that off fileplanet when they released it for free?

You cant complain, they were letting people get a free taste of the game. They pent lots of money making it, obviously they arent going to let people play for months, without wanting money back.

Originally posted by Wesisapie

Yes, how very homosexual.

Now, if you put some thought to it - take many thousands of people on the same server, the PS team have done all they can to keep the netcode stable and pings down; a hitbox system would decimate that totally... the information transfer would be many, many times higher than if you had one hit model.

If they had hitboxes, people like you would say the game's "gay" because of the lag.

you guys do know that the coder can determine what happens when weapon X hits hitbox Z and weapon X hitting hitbox Y :p

I think in Half-Life 2 they wont have hitboxes - they've coded the models so damage only occours when it hits the actual model, not an imaginary square box around that body part. Pretty cool if you ask me.

As for damage, I'm gonna guess it will depend on the difficulty level, but still be pretty realistic - body and head shots doing far more damage. But we'll all find out in a couple of months..

I hope HL2 has fatal and non-fatal damage types. Example:
-(HL) Shooting an unarmored guard in the foot does 10 dmg, shooting his foot 10 times kills him.
-(HL2) Shooting the (unarmored) guard in the foot does progressively less damage, maybe 10-(number of foot hits times 2) to a minimum of 1 damage. A headshot/neckshot = instant kill.

Originally posted by stigmata
I hope HL2 has fatal and non-fatal damage types. Example:
-(HL) Shooting an unarmored guard in the foot does 10 dmg, shooting his foot 10 times kills him.
-(HL2) Shooting the (unarmored) guard in the foot does progressively less damage, maybe 10-(number of foot hits times 2) to a minimum of 1 damage. A headshot/neckshot = instant kill.

That actually sounds like a really good idea.

If they want to keep bandwidth low for multiplay then they are not going to be able to do perpoly damage.

Originally posted by The Mullinator
If they want to keep bandwidth low for multiplay then they are not going to be able to do perpoly damage.

Maybe his suggestion could be for SP, and a hitbox system for MP.

lol.. I think scamp shots (or how you call them) would be nice. so you need to hit the surface off the skull withing a certain amount off degree's or else the bullet just scamps the skull or whatever :x

Unfortunately, gameplay probably demands that all hits be able to kill eventually. If not, then they are going to get people screamnig at them complaining that it's a bug, or the engine has hit detection issues, just because their scattered fire only hit feet and arms instead of fatal torsos, heads, or necks.

The damage seen so far in the videos (zombie which had its legs blown off by the exploding barrel), shows that body part-specific damage will have its effect. It was able to crawl forward on its torso.

Keep in mind though, that this is an action-oriented first person shooter. Most people don't stay standing even if they get shot once in the foot (I'm sure I'd be screaming my head off and weeping like a girl). But it wouldn't be any fun to have that realistic weapon damage in the game. Keep in mind too that a lot of the baddies are non-human types, so it's pretty academic what "realistic" damage means for made-up alien creatures.

Originally posted by Apos
Unfortunately, gameplay probably demands that all hits be able to kill eventually. If not, then they are going to get people screamnig at them complaining that it's a bug, or the engine has hit detection issues, just because their scattered fire only hit feet and arms instead of fatal torsos, heads, or necks.
Well yeah, but in my example, the damage goes down to 1 or 2 per foot hit, so eventually they will die. Also its not likely that scattered fire would hit *only* appendages, but it could happen. (right... :rolleyes: ) :D

Still not fast enough for most gamers, and neither is it realistic. I mean, how many bullets can you put into the same foot before there's no foot left? :)

Still not fast enough for most gamers, and neither is it realistic. I mean, how many bullets can you put into the same foot before there's no foot left? :)
i hope how it works is that you shoot at a foot 10 times in hl2 won't kill a combine.. but will leave him limping or on the ground footless.. but also don't know how you'd expect to be able to sit there and shoot at his foot without getting killed.

Hmm. Good point, but you will probably be able to take out body parts, as seen in some HL2 vid where a zombie is dismembered at the waist, yet can still crawl using his arms. I think. I haven't seen that particular vid, so I'm only going on what I've heard in the forums. Plus, when the enemies get shot, they'll react, so you won't be able to hit the foot many times without a Footshot aimbot :E

If they do implement this, hopefully the amount of body destroyed will be accurate with the caliber of the weapon. For example, a .50 cal rifle or machine gun should be able to rip apart limbs in 1 shot, but a 9mm round would take say, 10 or 20 shots before something falls off.

Theres a point where realism becomes too much. Besides this is a game about aliens invading the planet, originally controlled by a giant baby that can fly. You are wearing a suit that can fix broken legs with morphine (Which by the way it never runs out of).

I seem to remember in one of the old TF2 articles. (yes its not really HL2 but nevermind) They said something about wanting a realistic game but not go overboard where people die after one shot. Theres also the fact that you cant ever make a game real because everyone reacts in a different way to different things. One person gets shot they might die of shock, another person might be able to carry on, if not a little hindered though. Realism in a game is fun, but its nice to be able to get shot more than once and not die and stay dead for ages waiting to get a chance the play again. (obviously thats not singleplayer)

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
One person gets shot they might die of shock, another person might be able to carry on, if not a little hindered though. Realism in a game is fun, but its nice to be able to get shot more than once and not die and stay dead for ages waiting to get a chance the play again. (obviously thats not singleplayer)
You bring up a good idea for HL2 single player. I wonder if the AI of the the humanoid NPC's (both bad and good) will be slightly randomized to reflect different personalities. For example some combine soldiers might run away scared while others will stay and fight on even if they have been shot several times.

They have gone to great lengths to randomize characters looks, why not try and randomize their AI to an extent as well?

Back