Half-Life 2 not to port to Playstation 2

Axyon

Reaction score
As you may remember a while back, rumour abounded that Half-Life 2 may have been porting to the Playstation 2. However, Doug Lombardi shattered this information earlier today when computerandvideogames.com asked him:

Speaking to the developer's Doug Lombardi, he initially re-confirmed that Half-Life 2 has been announced for Xbox, then went on to clarify the PS2 situation, saying that: "At this point, there are no plans to publish a version [of Half-Life 2] for either of Sony or Nintendo's current systems."
However, Lombardi did go on to say that VALVe is interested in looking into Sony and Nintendo's next generation consoles for future ports of the game, but how far away that may be, no-one knows...

Both confirmation and denial of the port comes from Doug Lombardi, which I find odd. Hmm.

lmfao hl2 on ps2....yeah ok!....LOL...ps2 cant even handle halo ...and ps2 made half life 1 shite ...fps + consoles = shite

Originally posted by ||Diablo||
lmfao hl2 on ps2....yeah ok!....LOL...ps2 cant even handle halo ...and ps2 made half life 1 shite ...fps + consoles = shite

Agreed

Er, Lombardi never said that Playstation or Gamecube were prospective ports in the first place. He said that they were looking at the next generation consoles for those companies. It was IGN (I think) that mistook what he said (which was accurately reported elsewhere) to mean the CURRENT Playstation2, which he never said anything about. So blame IGN (or whoever it was) for the confusion.

Well it was a wise decision in doing so...playing Half-Life 2 on PS2...not bashing the system, but we would have to take out so many visual effects...like refractive water, everything would be totally downgraded...

It wouldn't even be worth it to port it...

The whole Valve staff is on a mission to confuse the heck out of us.

Maybe in December they'll go all silent for the month then on Christmas Eve release info saying. "There never was a HL2, where did you hear such rumors?"

I of course HOPE that I am joking... but one never knows.

Another bad decision by another company.

Why can Blizzard make a FPS for all 3 platforms and these folks can't.

:angry:

Current consoles are too weak (including Xbox) for HL2 graphic levels. I think only Gamecube 2 could handle it, it will be probably released long before xbox2 and ps3.

HL2 needs more then a PS2 to make it run nice. I even doubt PS3 could handle it unless Sony want to put the best hardware in it and charge loads of money, But i dont think they will be doing that ether. Consoles are for the brain dead.

But ... I thought the Xbox was more powerful that the gamecube, though the gamecube is more powerful than the PS2

If it runs on a Xbox, it will run on a PS3, no doubt.. The reason it doesn't run on a PS2 or GC might be that it's a DX9 game, and DX = Microsoft..

Despite the fact I have an Xbox and enjoy it, I will only buy HL2 on PC offocurse.. Gameconsoles are more for racing, sports, adventure/rpg & fighting games, not really for FPS (if you also have a good PC) imho..

The whole Valve staff is on a mission to confuse the heck out of us.

Again, as i said, Valve never said anything about PS2. That was a misread by ONE sloppy gaming site.

anyone who was thinking the PS2 or Gamecube were up to this were fooling themselves. Xbox is that much greater, but it does have a lot more horsepower and bandwidth to throw around.

bah, it should be made for Gamecube, screw PS2 and XBox!:cheese:

Originally posted by Apos
Again, as i said, Valve never said anything about PS2. That was a misread by ONE sloppy gaming site.

anyone who was thinking the PS2 or Gamecube were up to this were fooling themselves. Xbox is that much greater, but it does have a lot more horsepower and bandwidth to throw around.

I know, my jab was just a pathetic attempt at humor.

granted Xbox is mor powerful than the PS@ but Xbox is weaker then the gamecube by far.

Weaker than the GC? I own every single console out there. My personal favorite is the GC since I grew up on Mario and Zelda (like most people). But I can't see how the Xbox is weaker than the GC. I know MHZ doesn’t matter but you can see a difference visually.

On another note doesn’t this all seem weird? Gabe worked for microsoft, microsoft makes the xbox, xbox is supposed to use ati graphics in its next gen console, ati and gabe are in cahoots.

All I say is they better get it right with the xbox I’m growing tired of crappy ports.

I think you'll still see this game on ps2, its a very underestimated machine, only now are they starting to get the best from it. And how long has it been out, have u seen the ps2 water effects, splashdown, etc. and the water effect, lmfao. Ps2 can do that. I actually think the gamecube water effects in bluestorm are nice.

xbox could easily do it yes.

But i do agree with u guys, fps is for pc's

I heard that they may port it to the PS3 and to what ever Nintendo's next console will be called.

Consoles were a good Idea back in the early 1990s when computers cost $3000 for a cheap one. But now you can easily buy a computer double that of any console for the same price.(without the monitor)
First Person Shooters are meant for computers because they have a keyboard and mouse.
The Xbox is by far the most advanced console to date. PS2s run at a clock speed of 233mhz. GC run at 333. Xbox runs a Celeron at 733, bouble that of the other two. Xbox also has the best video card.

Back