Half-Life 2 on X360 - Video

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
From Microsoft's X06 event, EA did debut Half-Life 2 for the Xbox 360 as I had promised. I'm not entirely sure if there will be videos from different levels, or if there will be direct-feed footage, but the only one I've found so far is from IGN. It's a shaky-cam video of a familiar scene in Half-Life 2 wherein you are trying to avoid annihilation by outrunning a hunter chopper in your airboat. Available streams from IGN.com:[br]High-Res[br]Low-Res[br]

From what I can see, HDR and phong shading are present. Not sure if the environment has been upgraded, I get that feeling.

P.S. Whoever is playing is either crap or doesnt want to show something.

With any luck, they'll implement all those nice effects in the PC version.

With any luck, they'll implement all those nice effects in the PC version.

I can't see why not, STEAM is great for dishing out updates, it would be a really nice upgrade, only if the new settings are optional though, of course.

Yeh, HL2 needs HDR and phong shading. It was easy to implement phong shading in mods (or so I've heard), so why wouldn't it be possible in regular HL2 ? Although I realy cannot believe they kept that fugly swamp-toxic-like-texture in the first part.

Who's playing ? My grandma could beat this guy.

They wasted an X360 video on that? I don't believe it.

From what I can see, HDR and phong shading are present. Not sure if the environment has been upgraded, I get that feeling.

I have the same feeling. I think all the original textures have been upgraded in response to Ep2 (If you've seen the vids for Ep2, you will notice textures have had an upgrade.

And yeah, will we have to wait to get a HDR pass on the original game before or after Ep2 is released?

I can't wait to get a DX10 card and sampling the goods at full power :D

What a lame player... :]

Thats the effects of palying with a joypad ;)

I'm hoping Valve will make an announcement about the HDR and Phong shading in the original game after X06

I believe that the textures look slightly better, unless the colour correction is messing up my eyes.

yaay

a port of a 2 year old game on the 360

they should just spend more time getting ep 1 and 2 both ina single package for 360 packaged with some sort of mp like tf2. that would be worth 60 bucks. you can get hl2 looking that good or better for 20 bucks on the pc.

they should just spend more time getting ep 1 and 2 both ina single package for 360 packaged with some sort of mp like tf2. that would be worth 60 bucks. you can get hl2 looking that good or better for 20 bucks on the pc.

Nice try with the trolling Polyguns, but I'm afraid you've fallen a little short! Do try again next week though, or take monthly gaps like you have been doing.

Shaky cam video of a game I've already played, played on a system with a much lower resolution and less powerful CPU and graphics card than my system?

I think I'll pass. :)

Shaky cam video of a game I've already played, played on a system with a much lower resolution and less powerful CPU and graphics card than my system?

I think I'll pass. :)

Ahh, but have you played it with HDR and Phong Shading ;)

Wow it's like you actually tried to own yourself as hard as possible.

I think it looks awesome. I'm going to be purchasing it anyway for EP1/2 and the others, but I always enjoy going through Half-Life 2 again, so win.

Can't see a lot different tbh, apart from the HDR lighting. I wonder if PC users will get HDR upgraded HL2.

Can't see a lot different tbh, apart from the HDR lighting. I wonder if PC users will get HDR upgraded HL2.

Yeah I agree with you. I can tell it has HDR, but the phong shading, not seeing that really.

I hope PC users get this at some point as well. :)

IGN also typed up their impressions for everyone to read. Also, they've bundled up their preview of Portal in there as well.
...The next station over, however, the team showed of Half-Life 2 on the 360, calling it the best looking title yet. High-dynamic range lighting has been added, as well as some excellent reflection effects. We only saw a minute of the Canals level. The sky was simply amazing, brighter and more colorful than ever, and it had already looked damn good. The Combine chopper was reflected in the ripples of the water, its shadow looming ominously on the canal walls. It was only a few seconds, but it looked wonderful...
You can read it all here.

Did the guy not play HL2 for PC? The chopper reflected off the water and it's shadow was cast onto walls and such.

Anyone else think the 'hdr' may actually just be from the camera shooting the video adjusting to the light. Funny, it might be fake hdr produced from a real lense.;)

Anyone else think the 'hdr' may actually just be from the camera shooting the video adjusting to the light. Funny, it might be fake hdr produced from a real lense.;)
I chuckled... I think.

why dont the put a nice grass texture in or higher resolution skybox textures ? or something that will actually improve the graphics insted of this post process bs.
I love post-process stuff like hdr and color correction plus stuff like phong shaders for models, but the game itself is ugly... its like playing donkey kong on the snes with color correction, depth of field, hdr, etc...

-dodo

Long, long time ago, when Steam was something new, Valve promised that Steam enables them to release higher quality content for HL2 when hardware allows for that. So far, we've only seen a techdemo with new technology (Lost Coast), but I really think (or hope) that HDR and stuff will come as an update to all HL2 owners.

Ahh, but have you played it with HDR and Phong Shading ;)

Yeah because the graphics are the most important thing in a game :p

OMG THEY ADDED, LIEK, HDR BDR HSPD AND, LIEK, 2 MORE ACRONYMS TO A 2 YEARS GAEM LETS WASTEE 50 BACKS MOAR!

2 years later...

OMG STAEM AND VLAVE LIEK UPGREADED THE OUTDOR TEXTORES ON HLAF-LAEF2 IM GONA BUY DIS LOLZ AND PLAY IT ALL OVAR AGIAN!!1

Yeah because the graphics are the most important thing in a game :p

OMG THEY ADDED, LIEK, HDR BDR HSPD AND, LIEK, 2 MORE ACRONYMS TO A 2 YEARS GAEM LETS WASTEE 50 BACKS MOAR!

2 years later...

OMG STAEM AND VLAVE LIEK UPGREADED THE OUTDOR TEXTORES ON HLAF-LAEF2 IM GONA BUY DIS LOLZ AND PLAY IT ALL OVAR AGIAN!!1
U FERGOT 2 TALC BOUT HOW ITZ A NEXT GEN GAEMZ LOLZZ<~~~~HAH

why dont the put a nice grass texture in or higher resolution skybox textures ? or something that will actually improve the graphics insted of this post process bs.
I love post-process stuff like hdr and color correction plus stuff like phong shaders for models, but the game itself is ugly... its like playing donkey kong on the snes with color correction, depth of field, hdr, etc...

-dodo

HDR, color correction and phong shaders arn't post-process stuff.
The current source versions of motion blur and depth of field are, though one day we'll see them in realtime aswell.

Why did they waste a HL2 video on a scene that shows almost nothing with a player about as good as a rotting piece of turd, since when do you fall of that ledge, and turn around to try and go back up it, when you have a hunter chopper peppering you. Plus, 360 games NEVER stutter in the final product, with the power it has it just doesn't happen, that is just a very early demo with a shacky camera. Still good to know it has added graphics effects over the PC version.

Back