Half-Life 2 Pre-Release Hits the Scene

rec

Reaction score
As most of you in IRC and on the forums already know, a pre-release version of Half-Life 2 has found its way onto Peer-to-peer, IRC, and web warez networks around the globe.

We ask all of our participants of our community, both in our IRC channel (irc.quakenet.org #halflife2) and our forum, to remain as sensible and calm about the situation as possible. We will not hesitate to ban users posting screenshots of the source, where to get the source, code from the source, the file name of the Half-Life 2 pre-release, where to get the pre-release or any content remotely similar to this likeness.

If you do insist on discussing the pre-release (in an appropriate, and legal manner), we would prefer you do it in our IRC channel (irc.quakenet.org #halflife2) rather than in our forums, for moderation related reasons.

and to think, Rec was the biggest skeptic of us all about this whole beta thing ;(

It's not a beta as such, it's the source compiled with resources, put together by people who had both the resources and the know-how. I called it a pre-release for a reason, instead of labeling it an alpha or beta.

This is gonna sound stupid, but this would not have happend if they released it on the 30th. :flame:

The VU release was saying that only a third of the source was leaked... or did they mean a third has been released on the net by the thieves?
Once those bastards had access to Valve's resources, I don't see why they would not have/could not have stolen the whole thing.
Such a shame.

ironic isn't it?

your IRC channel's topic saying "THERE IS NO BETA"
members flaming other members when they said there's a beta/pre-release

reminds me of the pre-delay days!

Technically there wasn't a beta, then. ;P

So is it just a couple maps and the E3 demo? Boring.

This is no good, i was ready to spent atleast 60 euros for HL2.

no fair :(

Things keep going from bad to worse.

It's interesting that Valve could have easily had the most successful product launch of all time had they kept their promised release date of September 30, but now with the delays, rumor of delays, leaked source code, rumored beta release, and who knows where it will end, this could go down in gaming history as the most troubled and disappointing product launch ever.

The sad thing is, I'm not sure who deserves the blame for this fiasco.

So you can create mods from this pre-release or what?

well i know that half life was delayed because bandwith problems with steam but whos's listening :x

Erm i think its a bit more than a couple of maps and the E3 demo. Seeing as i cant post links ill just say that "the chosen 9" seems like it is true. There are new in game shots and pics of ALL the modles from the game.

Truly a sad day for half life fans ;(

What would really piss me off is if this was one big publicity stunt, thank god it isn't for valves stake! they'd probably get hunted down and killed by the HL2 community if it was!!:)

maybe the hacker is using this demo to put some kind of virus or trojan horse to a LOT of computer?

don't you guys get it, if they would of release the game on 30th this all wouldn't of happened, look hacker got the sourescode and game on 19, when he or they saw that game is delayed he released the sourescode after 30th, right. now when game got delayed to next year he or they released the pre-released game. i bet if game get one more delay hacker will release the full game (if he got it, which i think he is) or something els.

please don't mind my english

I`d like to say it again here. I am very concerned about the actual size of the code altough I have not seen it:

160Mb of Sourcecode is much. And with much i mean about as much as I expect a large program or even a Windows could have. The source for 10Mb products like FTPs and else goes around 200-300kb. The source of programs within the 50Mb barrier are around 10Mb when it comes large. What does this tell about 160Mb of source where people claim to see TF2, Physics, Source and Hammer in it.

As sad as it may be, I say that the whole engine + editing software has been leaked. I am not talking about content because I have no idea of what is there or not. I have not even an idea what the source looks like. But there is definately potential to get mods or maps running. And until 2004 there is potential to get it running very good.

This is sad news....
Shurakai

I dont think you understand. ALOT of the game is out there. I have 5 pics on my harddrive that i KNOW have not been seen ANYWHERE before. The supposed fake buggy shot??? i tihnk it was real, because i also have another 50 shots of game models, the buggy is EXACTLY like the one in the 'fake' shot. Jet skis, hovercrafts and monsters like you aint seen on any screenshots!! Models that you have only seen concept art for!!!! Heres a quote from who calls himself 'Anonymous Leaker':

October 7. 2003 ]____________________________________________
/ \
| |
| Half-Life 2 - "Chosen 9" release |
| |
| Company: Valve Corporation ( http://www.valvesoftware.com ) |
| File size: 100 x 15MB |
| Release: November 2003
Quote from http://www.planethalflife.com/ : |
| "There were a ton of rumors the past couple days about the |
| existence of a leaked, playable Half-Life 2 beta, but |
| thankfully those stories have been confirmed to be completely |
| false." |
| |
| Well, I hope nobody believed this rumor. Who would actually be |
| good enough to get the source, but forget the game ? |
| |
| To *****: this is too big for you to take credit :p |
| |
| - Anonymous leaker
Minimum system requirements: |
| + Windows98/2000/Me/XP |
| + 700 MHz CPU |
| + 128 MB RAM |
| + DX6 compatible video card |
| + ~3 GB free hdd space |
| |
| Recommended system requirements: |
| + Windows98/2000/Me/XP |
| + 2 GHz CPU |
| + 256 MB RAM |
| + DX9 compatible video card |
| + ~4 GB free hdd space |
| |
\_________________________________________________________________/
| to be leaked! After the source leak, there was no reason for |
| keeping the beta private. |
| |
| - Anonymous leaker

V
So much stuff is flooding the net right now im finding it VERY hard to disbelieve any of this right now!!!

How the hell can you post things like "it's a miracle" and "So you can create mods from this pre-release or what?"

If this rumour would be true, then it sucks.
No ****ing serious modteam would ever had even thought about using a stolen product, and no person with something other than greed behind his forehead would ever consider to download this.
If you do then you're a ****ing dopehead.
Valve is the most honest and communityfriendly gamingcompany ever, so show them some ****ing respect!

If you guys have any respect to the VALVe team, then you DO NOT download this beta/prerelease thingy.... it´s shitty anyway

well, this whole situation is messed up.

if i didn't hear about this new april delay shit, i wouldn't bother - but christ valve - 2 weeks ago we thought september 30'th was still on...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
This is the end of the world as we know it!
So sad, so angry, so depressed ...

Cant really get to grasping how they first had no worried to hit sep 30th accoridng to Gabe, and suddenly it's pushed back half a year ?
I mean seriously i was betting on HL2 to beat Doom3 by a longshot, but if they get into a close release race, HL2 actually got soem competition for the sales i think ...

Originally posted by Spetsnaz
If you guys have any respect to the VALVe team, then you DO NOT download this beta/prerelease thingy.... it´s shitty anyway

what you mean by that,

i think you don't respect valve, cause you said that prerelease it shitty. how do you know unless you played it if you played it then you didn't respect valve. if you didn't play it then how you know it is shitty. i am not saying to download it or not (i can't even find it) or i am not against valve. nobady should say not to download it to other people.

Hack

I don't believe their hacking thing...
They don't know what to invent!

Only some days before the official release date they announce a delay.
ATI already rent Alcatraz and things for the 30/09...

What ? they didnt know that they were not ready before the 30 ?!?
They did'nt tell guys at ATI (poeple they develop with)

'God' Newell use the same strategy as Lucas for star wars movies.
-don't say word
-skate skate skate.
-Think people are stupid

For me this hacking thing sound like valve his not in the major league.

man, the gamesworld is collapsing...;(
it looked like it was realy going very well with keeping it a secret, until the sourche code was leaked. now this is going around.. i'm realy mad at the leakers. i mean, how could anyone ever do something like this?!;(
can it be worse than this?

(sorry for my english:))

VU have something to do in that...

They made HULK the mega super shit pc game.... they lost something like 50M $ in that.

They lost Baldur's Gates

If it continue they will lost HL2

May be the pressure came from VU game to 'God' newell.
Don't say that you'll not be ready for the 30/09.
We at VU will invent something to cover you but we don't have any imagination.... give us time.

Hacking througt outlook... ahhaahahahahah

Valve staff, be aware!

Yo,
look, if it hasn't for the new April 2004 delay, things in the source code wouldn't have rechecked and changed (but what do I know? they probably didn't touch the source code but i hope not, I've seen the 25 min. movie and I do think that the skybox engine should be much more 3D, that would change it all! it will be a one huge cool game!!!! 3D clouds and stuff, oh yeah) AND.... HEAR THIS GUYS......
They'd better check it, because when you hack to a computer you can also UPLOAD.... They can upload stuff to the source code and potentially wreck it, or maybe they can install new viruses in it... BEWARE OF THE VIRUSES, GABE AND VALVE!!!!!!!:borg: Hire some men from Norton to check some stuff seriously, and I mean it!

Moderators:
plz let the ppl read that, maybe even valve staff.

Valve staff:
plz read this message carefully and think about it... (I did like the 3D skybox part :bounce: )

Back