Half-Life 2 Pre-Release Hits the Scene

Why did Valve keep the game so deathly secret for five years only to reveal its existence before the game was ready to launch when promised? It just doesn't make sense.

Well, it dies if you add one word.... hype.

I believe all this is hype. ALL of it. They know that anyone who downloads either the source or the leaked beta would also download the final warez so they are not really losing out.

It's all a ploy to get the game onto the news sections of all games sites.

I wont lie im dlin the beta as we speak but its impossible to resist.... and plus ive already paid for my copy of hl2 so i see im doin nothing wrong

I agree with pooley, for gods sake. Valve have proved that they themselfs are extremely good at getting people to talk about their games. Im not trying to be some huge conspricy nut but I believe we'll se HL2 befor 2004 (I hope and pray)

Weedums: Downloading the beta is ILLEGAL even though you pre-paid for the full game! Even if you have the game in your arms it's not the same version and it's leaked, meaning this:
YOU BROKE THE LAW YOU F***ING IDIOT! YOU SHOULD PAY VALVE FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING! That's all...

Oh my fuc<ing god. I dont feel well. Jesus...
What the fu<k was this about they only stole a 3rd of the code ?
I realy dont know what to do.
Iam just sad.

Umm I don't know about the legality. But think for a moment that it is perfectly legal to own the ROM of a game that you already own, since not everyone has access to backup equipment. It is perfectly legal to make backups of games you own actually as long as they are for personal use. It doesnt matter if you copy a game you have to another CD and play it. So being that he is already buying the game, and not actually causing any monetary damages in doing so. I believe what he is doing is perfectly legal no?

So isn't someone going to make an Information Minister video of Gabe or Valve saying "there is no beta?" It wouldn't be funny, I'm just shocked it hasn't happened yet.

Now they are saying that "only 1/3rd of the source code was stolen." Why are we supposed to believe that? It's not like Valve has this long history of being honest with the people that play their games. Ugh. :(

Valve needs to stick to the standard practice of "no comment" instead of just trying to mislead people. They're in enough crap already with the source code theft, the delay, and the negative reaction to Steam.

YOU BROKE THE LAW YOU F***ING IDIOT! YOU SHOULD PAY VALVE FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING! That's all...

I ****ING DID U RETARTED ASSHOLE I bought the game pre order when valve had promised and backed a sept 30th release

Originally posted by KaneRobot
So isn't someone going to make an Information Minister video of Gabe or Valve saying "there is no beta?" It wouldn't be funny, I'm just shocked it hasn't happened yet.

Now they are saying that "only 1/3rd of the source code was stolen." Why are we supposed to believe that? It's not like Valve has this long history of being honest with the people that play their games. Ugh. :(

Valve needs to stick to the standard practice of "no comment" instead of just trying to mislead people. They're in enough crap already with the source code theft, the delay, and the negative reaction to Steam.
You obviously havn't heard anything of what Valve has said. They never ONCE said that only 1/3 of the code was stolen (that was another website) and they never said there was no leaked beta. In fact Gabe stated that it was quite possible that more than just the Source code was leaked.

Originally posted by hell_on_toast
This is gonna sound stupid, but this would not have happend if they released it on the 30th. :flame:

it doesn't sound stupid your pretty much right. i feel bad for Valve i am d/l it right now but this is no way is gonna stop me from buying it even if it comes out next month or in april Valve has gone through alot and as much effort they put in it they do deserve my money. anybody who tried this hard deserve some good reprocussions.

"Weedums: Downloading the beta is ILLEGAL even though you pre-paid for the full game! Even if you have the game in your arms it's not the same version and it's leaked, meaning this:
YOU BROKE THE LAW YOU F***ING IDIOT! YOU SHOULD PAY VALVE FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING! That's all..."

Okay everyone now read this one

"Weedums: Downloading the album is ILLEGAL even though you pre-paid for the album! Even if you have the CD in your arms it's not the same version and it's leaked, meaning this:
YOU BROKE THE LAW YOU F***ING IDIOT! YOU SHOULD PAY THE MUSIC COMPANY FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING! That's all..."

Okay we all know most of you steal music and / or movies.

Hypocrites.

same here, beta this isnt the FULL game doesnt even have ne new weapons from the e3 demoes hell it doesnt even have the flare... (so ive heard havent played it yet)

what is going on whit the world

this sucks man... valve people should hv been more careful
now HL2 will be like nothing:borg:

ok.
#1: It is more than true that if the postponement had not occured, there would be no problem with thievery since the thieves are facing some SERIOUS consequences if caught. When you tell people that a game they are drooling over will be out on a certain date, then postpone the release, OF COURSE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO RESORT TO DRASTIC MEASURES!!

#2: Thus, a further postponement is only going to cause a DRAMATIC decrease in sales and, above all, is a huge steamy pile of bullcrap. It serves absolutely no purpose. They are just trying to punish the people who released the code by causing them to be looked down upon. Just how public school teachers punish the whole class because one kid messes up. This draws hatred for the person who did the wrong and he/she becomes ostracised (until the kids forget a week later).

#3: I have been keeping up on this whole thing and the word on the streets is that this "beta" or "prerelease" or whatever you want to call it is basically just a playable demo. It may entice some people to buy the game, but if they postpone the true release again, so many people are going to be angry that they will not buy the game simply out of protest. Mark my words, when the full version of HL2 hits filesharing, it will be almost be the end of Valve's sales. Anybody who has been anticipating this game is going to hate Valve!

To Valve: For the good of your company, DON'T postpone the real release!! All this leak stuff is just people playing around because they are impatient. Do not be suprised you further postpone the release and by doing so lose all of your supporters. There are still people (as seen earlier in this forum) that have enough respect for you to wait until November and buy the game. You have one chance to do the right thing - Don't screw it up.....

SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE ME THE E-MAIL ADDRESS OF SOMEBODY AT VALVE WHO MIGHT LISTEN TO ME!

P.S. (If I were ATI, I would do anything to get HL2 released with their video card BEFORE the newly postponed release. They would sell SO MANY cards, it would not even be funny. (besides, ATI is the best anyway)).

Shocking news

I hope the people involved with leaking the sourse code have good layers becasue they are going to need one...

It makes me sick to the stomach that there are always people out there ready to spoil it for all the general gamers out there who are willing to pay for the software and not dowload it from a cheap and nasty low life warez site... :flame:

It really £$"*^%! me off big time...

Look, if your going to buy the game (as pretty much all of us are) then were going to be supporting Valve. The fact is when the game comes out if will completely overshadow anything thats happend here and I bet everything in the community will be fine. Obviously there's going to be ripped versions of HL2 when it's released thats to be expected. We here represent a small fraction (the Uber hardcore fraction maybe) of people who will buy the game. A lot of people will hear about it through friends/agazines when it's been released and people will just buy it. What i'm trying to say is that it may seem like a massive thing at the moment but really it's a small bump in the large scheme of things. Just wait till after release, I bet everyone pretty much forgets about all of this...

Yeah ive seen several sites stating that it has been leaked.rofl
Wtf's going on with valve?Now it seems to be delayed again till april 2004.This is just getting more ridiculous every damn day. They really need to get their act together before its too late.Delaying a game to a certain date is one thing,but ****ing with us around and keeping us in the dark for several months is just plain offensive.OK,they told us that the ati cards were better then nvidias and we accepted the outcome and bought a new ati card right away after it.But here we are, still after all the time and wasted money we still keeping scratching our heads and wondering if this thing is ever guna come out and if this was just another marketing ploy so that ati and other hardware companies could make more money of us idiots.:flame:

Originally posted by The Mullinator
You obviously havn't heard anything of what Valve has said.

Yeah, obviously. How do even know about the theft of the source code then? Or the "beta" leak? Come off your high horse, Dr. Doom, your talking down to people doesn't impress anyone.

Halflifesource.com said "direct from Gabe Newell" (and they did talk to him yesterday) that only a portion of the source was stolen. Why would anyone have reason to believe that is false?....well, besides the fact that Valve has a habit of misleading people.

I can't be arsed to check the boards every hour anymore. I've lost that excitment to get HL2 and now it's just another game i'm waiting for. Bah. :(

Originally posted by Mint_Sauce
I can't be arsed to check the boards every hour anymore. I've lost that excitment to get HL2 and now it's just another game i'm waiting for. Bah. :(

I'm starting to get the same feeling. I'll likely buy it when it comes out or shortly thereafter, but I couldn't really care less about the game at this point. If the April delay is confirmed it's almost half a year away still. There is plenty of other stuff coming out between now and then to focus on.

Yeah, I'm going to *try* and forget about HL2 as much as possible to regain my brain back. :) Bah, what a screw up :(

Man, i'm such a Geek. I literally NEED this game, sad eh?! :D

no panic! :afro:
trust me ppl and dont be too dumb: this is one of the biggest and clever advertising campaign of the vg history...you'll see hl2 out at holidays time, no matter if the world collapse it will be delivered in time

HAHAHA...of course that's what we all hope. But what gives you the confidence to post such a thing? Do you actually think they are going to do a surprise launch of the game?

God i feel bad for valve. Think of all the tiny bells and whistles (guns/physics/etc) that they put in that are going to be experienced before the game is bought.

half the excitement killed :'(

HAR HAR HAR

That had better be a fake quote...we ALL know the SOURCE was leaked, sans content

Yes this is a very poor show. I was starting (like many) to get buzzed about HL2's release but now it seems like one problem after another.

I whole heartedly support Valve for their inovations and dedication to the games industry but believe they should have taken more care. In what form is not for me to ponder.

As far as HL2 goes, well, if it is going to take until April to change the game then I am all for it. Atleast the code will be improved (they may discover hidden bugs). They will have more time to put together a better package. Newer GFX cards

As for sales:

I believe Valve will sell massive numbers of HL2. As already stated, the game has hit websites all around the world, gaining excellent coverage. This coupled with a new launch plan should turn this confussion at the moment into one for the history books and not because of the source leak but because of the recovery that will happen.

There are only two that can make HL2 into an even more massively successful game... Us! and Valve.

I hope you morons realise you could delay the game even further. If a company's Game is leaked before release, what do they do?
1: Get more security for there Network
2: Add more security to the game itself
3: Maybe re-write the code

= Delay

Would you in-patient morons think before you act for once. Good grief, I've never met a bunch of immature, inpatient, brainless morons like this group here. Get a life guys, you seriously need one

Cannot join channel (+r)

Thats what I'm getting when trying to join #halflife2

Waddup, am I a persona non grata or what ;)

technicalities

True, you can legally back up software you own. However, software companies quit actually selling software a while back. Unless I'm hugely mistaken, what you now pay $50+ for is just a license for the software. You pay money for the privelege of using the software, you don't own diddly squat. So even if you did put down more than your $5 pre-payment on HL2, you don't own the game, therefore you're not allowed to have a backup, and the argument that you should be able to download the leaked version is complete bunk.

and if I have to wait until April, this is going to blow horse cock ...

... and I was doing so well with censoring myself ...

Im still really hyped for the release, I've pre-ordered it over at amazon.com. I think it sucks hard that the source was leaked, this game was going to be groundbreaking. Stuff so advanced that no-one had ever seen it. This so called "beta" is probably a piece of sh*t, I've seen some screenshots and laugh at the people who consider playing it. Error messages, debugging code, missing objects, unskinned items... the list goes on and on. If anything they have ruined the sweet ass effect that the real game will have. I can't wait and nothing is gonna change my attitude toward it.

Re: Hack

Originally posted by strahdvon
For me this hacking thing sound like valve his not in the major league.

I thought this was kind of funny... Valve really isn't in the major leagues yet. People put them up there with, say, id...but how many blockbuster releases has id had? Quite a few - the Dooms, the Quakes, Wolfenstein...didn't they put out Hexen and Heretic too?...or Bungie, who made the Myth and Marathon titles - which were (despite the closemindedness of PC zealots everywhere) hands down THE BEST FPS's of their time.

Valve has had... Half-Life. That's it. They have yet to build another actual game after that. People forget so easily...Valve has ONE title under their belts.

We'll see what happens after they ship.

I ****ING DID U RETARTED ASSHOLE I bought the game pre order when valve had promised and backed a sept 30th release

SO if I pay for your mom and go down on your sister that's ok?

Valve don't owe you shit man, get yourself together.
They have worked on this game for what, 5-6 years? I don't believe they have planned to make you angry. Noone wants to do that since the universe revolve around you.

How pathetic...

Oh, no, a gaming company is h4x0red! Oh, no, a source was stolen! Oh, no, a beta version was leaked! Aah, the game is delayed! So shocking! Such an unheard-of event! What a loss for the world! Cry, humanity! Despair, Man, for surely with a leaked and delayed Half Life 2 thou art doomed! 160000 years of human advancement since the appearance of the first homo sapiens just ended in early October, Anno Domini 2003!

The only genuinely bad thing from the point of view of the REAL WORLD and HUMANS is that this proves how many worthless fools there are - it is enough to read some of the posts here. "I am so sad for Valve, I will send them flowers", "I can't live anymore", "Oh, no, this cannot be true!", "I will give Newell my sister for consolation" - blahblahblahblah. All this posted by a bunch of idiot underfanturds (aka subfankids) whose reactions to other leaks in the competitive industry would be "woohoo, Doom 3 is leaked, the better for my beloved Half Life 2!" and many of whom reacted to the Windows source leak with a cackle "yeah, Microsoft is screwed now!".

Those who seriously say something like "this is the end of the world", "my heart is broken", "I'm sad and desperate" with regards to this no-news - kill yourselves. Cut your wrists, choke yourself, drink bleach, jump from a building - just do the world and the DNA pool a favor and commit suicide.

if someone follow your advice and really do that you will be in BIG trouble.

Originally posted by Aethaecyn
Umm I don't know about the legality. But think for a moment that it is perfectly legal to own the ROM of a game that you already own, since not everyone has access to backup equipment. It is perfectly legal to make backups of games you own actually as long as they are for personal use. It doesnt matter if you copy a game you have to another CD and play it. So being that he is already buying the game, and not actually causing any monetary damages in doing so. I believe what he is doing is perfectly legal no?

Originally posted by Weedums

Look you both, this is another ILLEGAL version of the REAL GAME! THESE ARE NOT THE SAME VERSIONS SO YOU DID BRAKE THE LAW!
Downloading an ILLEGAL version is also illegal because they didn't make this version for sale, and it's not the same version as the futuristic FULL, FOR SALE version OK?
SO U STILL BROKE THE LAW U RETARDED ASSHOLE!

BTW what's so special with the leak? Wait for the full game because leaks (from what I heard) are ALWAYS buggy and if it wasn't for you CRIMINALS(!!!!) the game would've be released as the Game of The Year for another 2 or 3 years! darn criminals.

Back