half life 2 question

CMoon2040

Reaction score
i cant afford to buy a 360 so in a couple days when i get some money im going to buy hl2 all episodes for my pc. Im running a high quality intel and 2 monitors, and 18 inch and a 22 inch widescreen. Would the game look better than it would if it was on 360 or PS3? Do you have any tips for me on good gameplay or strategy?

From what i've seen HL deffo looks better on the PC, also it was made for the PC and should be enjoyed with a mouse and keyboard. Tips on gameplay? Take your time, really take your time. There's alot of awesome sights to be seen in these games. Small and big. Everything from cool dialogues between random NPCs tying in to the story, to details such as a human corpse with a blown away face and a shotgun lying next to the corpse's hand with the door to the room barred from the inside with furniture.
Don't miss things like these, they really make the game as awesome as it is :)

From what i've seen HL deffo looks better on the PC, also it was made for the PC and should be enjoyed with a mouse and keyboard. Tips on gameplay? Take your time, really take your time. There's alot of awesome sights to be seen in these games. Small and big. Everything from cool dialogues between random NPCs tying in to the story, to details such as a human corpse with a blown away face and a shotgun lying next to the corpse's hand with the door to the room barred from the inside with furniture.
Nope it should be enjoyed with a pad i prefer a pad to a mouse and keyboard its just you pc fanboys who say a mouse and keyboard. and yes before you say it i own a pc.

Keyboard and mouse offer much better manipulation of your character, as well as giving a more realistic feel to aiming and obliterating the enemies. Definitely get it for the PC, the console versions don't even come close to doing the game justice.

Mouse and keyboard offer a hell of alot more controll , game pads have clunky controls imo.

Nope it should be enjoyed with a pad i prefer a pad to a mouse and keyboard its just you pc fanboys who say a mouse and keyboard. and yes before you say it i own a pc.

Dont use a PC if you dont like them then , simple.

Keyboard and mouse offer much better manipulation of your character, as well as giving a more realistic feel to aiming and obliterating the enemies. Definitely get it for the PC, the console versions don't even come close to doing the game justice.

Yes they do and how exactly does a keyboard and mouse offer "a more realistic feel to aiming and obliterating the enemies"?

Gameplay and strategy ? Savor each area's unique characteristics without rushing-through them. You can rush-thru 'next-time'...

I think that the most satisfying strategy is firing bullets into the numerous red gas-barrels 'n cylinders... letting their explosions 'do your dirty work' while saving your ammo-supply, which you'll probably deplete at certain points.

Mouse and keyboard offer a hell of alot more controll , game pads have clunky controls imo.

Dont use a PC if you dont like them then , simple.

I do like pcs its just that this thing that its harder to control with a pad is very untrue im actually better with a pad that with keyboard and mouse and all those people that say a keyboard and mouse is better have probaly never used a mouse before so what would they know. And by no means is a keyboard and mouse a "a more realistic feel to aiming and obliterating the enemies" i had to laugh at that one lol

It's a matter of choice. I for one find graphics on PC to be a bit too pale while 360 can be a bit too glossy. Either way the graphics should be around the same level, unless you have a really fantastic computer.

As for the whole gamepad vs keyboard/mouse argument boiling up here:
Gamepad: control+ aiming-
Key/mouse: control- aiming+

Which isn't to say that you can't be fantastic on either of them. Now shut up and get back on topic

It's a matter of choice. I for one find graphics on PC to be a bit too pale while 360 can be a bit too glossy. Either way the graphics should be around the same level, unless you have a really fantastic computer.

As for the whole gamepad vs keyboard/mouse argument boiling up here:
Gamepad: control+ aiming-
Key/mouse: control- aiming+

Which isn't to say that you can't be fantastic on either of them. Now shut up and get back on topic

Dont tell me to shut up.
And that doesnt change the fact that keyboard & mouse is not "a realistic way of aiming".
Do you aim a gun with a mouse in real life?no you do not so therefore it cannot be realistic then can it?

Dont tell me to shut up.
Do you aim a gun with a mouse in real life?no you do not so therefore it cannot be realistic then can it?

I guess not, and so neither is using an xbox controller.
Shut up, now.

Also, OP, I'd vote computer, but you've already decided.

Dont tell me to shut up.

crying_baby.jpg

Welcome to the internet

I do like pcs its just that this thing that its harder to control with a pad is very untrue im actually better with a pad that with keyboard and mouse and all those people that say a keyboard and mouse is better have probaly never used a mouse before so what would they know. And by no means is a keyboard and mouse a "a more realistic feel to aiming and obliterating the enemies" i had to laugh at that one lol

anyone not understand what the hell he just said?

Welcome to forum feud where instead of families... were a forum

You have more control over your crosshair with a mouse. If you were to play CS:Source on an XBox (or any other FPS for that matter) against someone using a computer (me, for example) the person on the computer you demolish you. Why? You can control the speed you move your crosshair, you can counter-recoil better, and instead of "holding" your joystick to the left to move left, you actually move your hand the distance you want to aim.

Basically. you have much more control & accuracy over your player, therefore you are able to have a more in-depth feel for the player, therefore it's more 'realistic'.

Mouse wins, lol.

Anyways, all I know is that if you ever walk into an FPS made for PC with a controller pad, you will get destroyed by the players on a mouse. Point and click is deadlier than push-joystick-pull-trigger.

EDIT: Pretty much exactly what the guy above me said.

Take your time, really take your time. There's alot of awesome sights to be seen in these games. Small and big. Everything from cool dialogues between random NPCs tying in to the story, to details such as a human corpse with a blown away face and a shotgun lying next to the corpse's hand with the door to the room barred from the inside with furniture.
Best advice is this thread. +100!

I have never really liked video game controls, maybe i'm just bad at using them or whatever but i was pretty skilled at Halo on the xbox and i still always let out a huge sigh when i got back to the computer after a game on the xbox. It's just easier using a mouse and keyboard.

Yea, I kinda got depressed when I found out Half Life 2 was on consoles. :hmph:

Sorry, I got The Orange Box on the Xbox 360, as I'm too poor to shell out several thousand dollars on a gaming rig. :LOL:

Commence ****in' flamin' and shit. :E

(and counter strike)

...What the hell? :LOL:

all those people that say a keyboard and mouse is better have probaly never used a mouse before so what would they know.

your arguing against the keyboard and mouse but calling people who like pc ignorant...

augh i cant even argue with that whole post, the grammar is to poor.

Ok he bought the game and now nothing, whats the point of this thread now???

Right, to actually help the OP...

i cant afford to buy a 360 so in a couple days when i get some money im going to buy hl2 all episodes for my pc. Im running a high quality intel and 2 monitors, and 18 inch and a 22 inch widescreen. Would the game look better than it would if it was on 360 or PS3? Do you have any tips for me on good gameplay or strategy?

It will look better on a good PC than on the Xbox 360. However, you haven't really told us what your PC's spec is. If it's a few years old, the games might look better on the 360, especially if you have an HD tv to plug it into.
But if you can't afford a console the question is pointless anyway, stick with your PC until you can afford a console.

And re controllers... CombineHunter, you're plain wrong. Controlling FPS on a console pad is much less fluid and satisfying with thumbsticks than a mouse. It is more realistic, using a mouse moves your view round in any direction at any speed you desire, not possible with a thumbstick, which limits you to the acceleration of the stick movement.
I speak as a long-time PC FPS nut who has finally moved to a console ....and is almost exclusively playing FPSs...including HL2 etc.
If gamepads are better for controlling FPSs, why do competitive gamers use mice instead?

I have both, 360 and PC version.

PC version is superior in everyway. Apart from the fact that I can play the 360 version in bed :D, thats the main reason I got it.

Right, to actually help the OP...

It will look better on a good PC than on the Xbox 360. However, you haven't really told us what your PC's spec is. If it's a few years old, the games might look better on the 360, especially if you have an HD tv to plug it into.
But if you can't afford a console the question is pointless anyway, stick with your PC until you can afford a console.

And re controllers... CombineHunter, you're plain wrong. Controlling FPS on a console pad is much less fluid and satisfying with thumbsticks than a mouse. It is more realistic, using a mouse moves your view round in any direction at any speed you desire, not possible with a thumbstick, which limits you to the acceleration of the stick movement.
I speak as a long-time PC FPS nut who has finally moved to a console ....and is almost exclusively playing FPSs...including HL2 etc.
If gamepads are better for controlling FPSs, why do competitive gamers use mice instead?

Will you people stop saying its realistic,because no matter how much you want it to be it is NOT would you be able to instantly go and turn round and aim that fast in RL would you balls.

Back