Half-Life 2 Steam Offers Ready Thursday

wow, this really makes me question whether i still want to purchase in a store. i have a pre-order for the CE, but i might want to switch that over to the gold package. Hell, even the silver package is looking good, i know that ill be buying dod:s so i might as well use steam. but that vision i have of going to the store and picking up a physical copy is so tempting.

You can play Couter-Strike:Source, but all the other goodies are unlocked and shipped to your door when Vivendi releases the game officially in stores.

Edit: Argh, can someone delete this post?

Ah.. ok, I was wrong. You CAN play Counterstrike Source. It just won't be beta any more. Hmm... I think that means there'll be new maps available.....

I think I'm feeling a bit under the weather and won't be able to go to work tomorrow.... <cough>

I am SOOOO torn now!..... do i get (a) Gold (b) Silver (c) Retail Standard?

Each has it's own pros :

(a) Gold
--Chance to go to valve
--HL2 hat
--HL2 Soundtrack

(b) Silver
--$30 less than gold :p

(c) Retail Standard
--No downloading needed, physical discs in hand, so no need to burn steam's cache on a disc and then hack it toghether into some autorun thingy that installs HL2 :sleep:

I CAN"T DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

/me is conflicted

So with international shipping we're looking at $100 for a game. OK, so it's THE game, and a bunch of other stuff... I wonder if we can get it without the strategy guide, what was the point in that?

Steam Users = people who like games = people who have internet access

So we like getting through games ourselves, and if we get stuck can just download an FAQ or something for free.

EDIT:
Turin said:
Is there sales tax on these?

good point... americans and their damn hidden taxes... or worse, would British people have to pay british rip off taxes? How does it work with other steam purchases?

LeXo5 said:
I am SOOOO torn now!..... do i get (a) Gold (b) Silver (c) Retail Standard?

Each has it's own pros :

(a) Gold
--Chance to go to valve
--HL2 hat
--HL2 Soundtrack

You can scratch off "Chance to go to Valve" as one of the reasons to get Gold. You can just send them a postcard with your info (read the rules).

If I bought the standard version from a store (css and hl2) i would get it for 50-55$.
I don't know what percent valve gets from that.
But they sell for the same price online, and get the whole pie.

I am going to be lynched for this, but if I was associated with Vivendi I would be a tad miffed that Steam went from a form of distribution to wholesale.

It's like working in a buggy whip factory when the car gets invented. Noone needs buggy whips anymore. Publishers are the buggy whip factory owners. Valve would be Ford.

The publisher made a deal with a company to produce a product and split the earnings. With steam they were effectively cut out of a lot of money. If Valve led on that steam was just for content providing, and not for selling, Vivendi would snap up the deal in a heartbeat.
But Steam isn't trying to make the same amount of money for valve that they would have been selling thruogh hard copies (ie cheaper for consumers). They want teh money : /

Can't blame them : /

finally!!
details on the pricing :D
nothing has changed for me, still getting the Gold package and the CE afterwards.

Do they send you product keys in the mail after you pre-ordered on Steam? How does it work? Lets say I want to play Half Life 2 on a new computer in a year, can I still download it and register it even though I don't have a physical copy? If that made sense...

Bob Bean said:
You can scratch off "Chance to go to Valve" as one of the reasons to get Gold. You can just send them a postcard with your info (read the rules).

werd....... thx for info ....... looks like it is just between Retail Standard and Silver now

Am I to understand that all the stickers/posters/prima books and cd soundtrack stuff is sent off as soon as you order? It doesn't indicate that you will be getting it later like HL2 etc.

Sed Bratton said:
Do they send you product keys in the mail after you pre-ordered on Steam? How does it work? Lets say I want to play Half Life 2 on a new computer in a year, can I still download it and register it even though I don't have a physical copy? If that made sense...

the way i see it, you wouldn't need any physical contact (cd key) from Valve... they'd just update your steam profile to say that you've paid for half life 2 and give u access. In two years time you'd just log onto Steam, download the game files and play it.

will we be able to play the custom mods with the bronze account?

Dammit, that Gold package looks very promising! Lots of stuff with it!

I planned to buy HL2 in my local store. But i guess there will be no
package with HL2, CS:S, DOD:S & HL:S in the stores. So think
about buying the silver edition :] But i would like to have some CDs :/

What about the Gold editon. How do you get all these books, stickers and stuff. Do you download them over steam? :stare:

The gold package does look very nice, unfortunatly I am going to be forced to buy from retail due to limited bandwidth by my cable internet company. I'm also prone to formating my comp so with that, and the limited bandwidth im pretty screwed with purchasing through steam.

If you buy silver....can we still get half life 1 source off of steam or somethin?

cause i really want that, i cant ammigin theyll make us pay for it

It seems this time everything is on track for the game's release to the store. November 2 looks like it will be the release date so far, hopefully it is. :borg:

skull24 said:
It seems this time everything is on track for the game's release to the store. November 2 looks like it will be the release date so far, hopefully it is. :borg:
november 1
i saw that somewhere

Geez, the Gold package will set you back a lot of gold! Looks like Silver for me.

Silver for me - you got all the *new* games you get with gold without the extra merchandise.

Blad3 said:
Silver for me - you got all the *new* games you get with gold without the extra merchandise.
I'm going gold I tell you...

... Gold Gold GGGOOOLLLDDD!!!

Same price as a retail hard copy?? And Valve getting all the $$$
Sorry, but this IS a rip-off. Instead of making it cheaper for the consumer, by eliminating the extra cost of cd pressing and packaging +++, they take the same price as retail and stuff a shitload of money in their own deep pockets..

I'm pretty sure that this lawsuit will end up with VU getting some of the money Valve are making with steam... It would only be fair.
You have to think of all the expences VU has on marketing and stuff. (That's a SHITload of $$$) wich Valve through their Steam campaign get's for free. Remember that Steam also benefits from VU's marketing, but VU wont earn a dime from Valves Steam offerings.)

Whee silver costs me the same as the regular retail edition here, nice! Saving 10e and getting HL:S and DOD:S on top of that sounds like a good deal to me. :)

NB. said:
Those prices are a complete rip off imo
They're cheap if you live in Europe. :)

perrkele said:
Whee silver costs me the same as the regular retail edition here, nice! Saving 10e and getting HL:S and DOD:S on top of that sounds like a good deal to me. :)

They're cheap if you live in Europe. :)

Yeah i live in UK so the price compared to a retail game isnt terrible or anything. Its more the fact that your not actually getting anything other than the gcf's for your cash. I thought the point in steam would be that they could sell the games a little cheaper and still make more money, ie=everyone wins. But to me it looks like Valve/VUG win, and we get charged the same price but we dont even get a box or anything.

Ahh well im still going to buy thegame, i just think its cheeky.

I can't wait to play HL2 and gonna have to wait for this one, but I'm also a great fan of CS, HL1 and DOD so having them on the new builder is a very great news for me...
but I can't figure out why people would pay 30$ for strategy guide and bunch of crap. Theres the soundtrack CD that seems nice but I'll wait to get the files with the game or get them on the internet.

Silver for me!! Don't care about the crap I want to play the god dam game already hehe
;op

Sorru if this is covered in a post between 30 and 112, dint feel like catching up at the mo, got kids to throw into a kindergarden, run home and read some more...

if i buy the bronze pack let say, then later want the silver, can i upgrade via steam and just pay the diff?

RRunner said:
if i buy the bronze pack let say, then later want the silver, can i upgrade via steam and just pay the diff?

I believe so

how very nice :cheers:

Just bought a new mouse and icemat, for the oncoming event... dont want to further test, the economic limits of my marriage at the present time :rolleyes:

lol

Nice sig btw, thats my favourite line from Fear and Loathing, always creases me up :D

Back