Half-Life 2 Story

A

apax777

I got this from a very reliable source, you can take it or leave it the choice is yours...

This is what will be in Half-Life 2 game manuals under the "Story" section and will appear on the back of retail boxes:

In the dusty Nevada desert there used to exist a top-secret scientific research facility, code-named Black Mesa, owned by the massive Lamda Corporation, and heavily financed by the U.S. government. It was there that a highly guarded government experiment led by scientist Gordon Freeman went extremely wrong: it opened a gateway for hostile alien beings to enter Earth.

Secret government "clean up" and "cover-up" marine forces attempted to "silence" everyone involved except Dr. Freeman and several others, who's lives ended up being spared thanks to the mysterious enigma the "G-Man" -- the man who hired Gordon Freeman and his team.

Six years have passed since the disaster at the Black Mesa Research Facility. Gordon and his team work for another branch of the Lamda Corporation on a small island off the east coast of the United States.

As Gordon and his team worked one morning, the "G-Man" appeared from the shadows. He pulled Gordon aside and explained the portal his team accidently opened six years ago is starting to open again--but this time on the exact other side of the earth from the original portal, inside of a small town in Europe, a place called City 17...

Now Dr. Freeman and the remaining scientists from Black Mesa must travel to the city that could be the epicenter of a massive alien invasion.

They must race against the clock as it's only a matter of time before City 17 is crawling with international special army forces to exterminate every walking entity.

And it's Dr. Freeman who may be the only one who holds the key to locking the portals once and for all....

well, it sounds cool, but the only thing i dont get it, where it says "six years have past" ppl have been saying 15 or something. or maybe not, though i guess i will believe you considering i like it!

sounds totally bogus since Freeman wasn't in charge at all--he was a nobody. Somehow I would think Valve would know that. mmkay

Originally posted by RoyalEF
sounds totally bogus since Freeman wasn't in charge at all--he was a nobody. Somehow I would think Valve would know that. mmkay

Well just keep in mind they have to sum up the story of the entire HL1 game for people who never played it...I think Gordon will feel "Responsible" for the accident at Black Mesa which is why he's referred to as the "leader"... just my 2 cents..

*ponders what he just read*
Hmmm...since you say it's a 'very reliable source', I'll take your word for it and say it's true. While it doesn't give a *large* amount of new info, the back story is fairly interesting. Now excuse me while I copy this down to a notepad file before Valve comes here and demands you remove this.

-Vert

newb style

this "story" of yours sounds so amateurish and bogus that i laughed while reading it. c'mon now, don't spread stupid shit around, lets be sensible here guys.

the portal his team accidently opened six years ago is starting to open again--but this time on the exact other side of the earth from the original portal, inside of a small town in Europe,
:dozey:

The other side of the world would be the south side of the globe and even if they meant the north side of the globe it would lie somewhere in mongolia or china.

And a lot of other stuff which was explained before makes me think it's bullcrab, sorry!

Originally posted by apax777
I got this from a very reliable source, you can take it or leave it the choice is yours...

This is what will be in Half-Life 2 game manuals under the "Story" section and will appear on the back of retail boxes:

In the dusty Nevada desert there used to exist a top-secret scientific research facility, code-named Black Mesa, owned by the massive Lamda Corporation, and heavily financed by the U.S. government. It was there that a highly guarded government experiment led by scientist Gordon Freeman went extremely wrong: it opened a gateway for hostile alien beings to enter Earth.

Secret government "clean up" and "cover-up" marine forces attempted to "silence" everyone involved except Dr. Freeman and several others, who's lives ended up being spared thanks to the mysterious enigma the "G-Man" -- the man who hired Gordon Freeman and his team.

Six years have passed since the disaster at the Black Mesa Research Facility. Gordon and his team work for another branch of the Lamda Corporation on a small island off the east coast of the United States.

As Gordon and his team worked one morning, the "G-Man" appeared from the shadows. He pulled Gordon aside and explained the portal his team accidently opened six years ago is starting to open again--but this time on the exact other side of the earth from the original portal, inside of a small town in Europe, a place called City 17...

Now Dr. Freeman and the remaining scientists from Black Mesa must travel to the city that could be the epicenter of a massive alien invasion.

They must race against the clock as it's only a matter of time before City 17 is crawling with international special army forces to exterminate every walking entity.

And it's Dr. Freeman who may be the only one who holds the key to locking the portals once and for all....

sounds very sexy

Dukeinaction is right on the location. Opposite of Nevada would be in the southern hemisphere. City 17 is in the nothern hemisphere if its in Europe. Opposite of Nevada for be like around India I would guess. Plus Gordan Freeman didnt lead that experiment and I dont think he felt responsible for it all.

Sounds wrong. Ive read interviews with gabe saying that city 17 is one of the few citys left on earth, and thats the reason for the huge barcades around the city.

I guess someone needs to learn geography before posting worthless crap.

What people pointed out, plus a couple grammatical errors that Valve wouldn't release with, show that this isn't real. Sources are needed.

Originally posted by urseus
Sounds wrong. Ive read interviews with gabe saying that city 17 is one of the few citys left on earth, and thats the reason for the huge barcades around the city.

Those huge baracades are colombine city crushers. Those things crush the city up slowly. didnt you see the videos? the last video you see that big "BARACADE" crushing part of the building slowly. It eats its way through cities like that. kinda sav.

Hmmm, well this is the last time I will refer to this source. He just e-mailed me back and admitted what he sent me was full of shit, so I apologize for this thread.

I can't find the interview, but I will keep on searching!

This future will make the game as a movie, with the perfect sounds and music in right moments!

"gman appears out of the shadows and pulls gordon aside" .. doesn't sound very believable.. sorry.. was an interesting read though.. and whoever gave you this info (if there is an actual source other then your imagination to this) must have been having fun with their imagination and creativity skills.

A friend of a friend type thing worked for PHL some time ago and had some contacts who always claimed to be "close" to the developers. That's where this came from, I was so excited when i read it I posted it immediately for you guys, then I got another e-mail from my friend some time later telling me it is false.

that makes no sense...

seeing that gordon begins hl2 hitting the ground running and has no clue WTF is going on himself.

(me thinks gordon travels 15 years into the future into city17 at the end of HL1, and that is exactly were u begin hl2)

(me thinks gordon travels 15 years into the future into city17 at the end of HL1, and that is exactly were u begin hl2)

That could explain him still wearing his hazard suit.

In my opinion, some of that is probably true, but a lot doesn't make sense with what ive seen. nothing else to say

(i hope they make an ex. pack where you're the combine like OpFor)
:borg: :borg:

Originally posted by subs
that makes no sense...

seeing that gordon begins hl2 hitting the ground running and has no clue WTF is going on himself.

Who's to say that Gordon has no clue what's going on? It's just WE don't know what the hell's going on, at this point.

Also, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense...since Barney says 'Remember when we thought Black Mesa was as bad as it could get?', it sounds as if he's reminiscing, somewhat. He wouldn't have to 'remind' Gordon, if he just got here.

-Vert

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow

That could explain him still wearing his hazard suit.

It's a new Hazard Suit. If you look at pics of Gordon it's changed, plus the HUD is different. :)

uh the hud is not really different by that much at all, explain how you think its changed?

Just becasue the HUD looks slightly differnt doesent really give the impression that it is a new suit. Who wouldent want to be wearing a hev suit in the sticky situations you will get yourself into in City 17? A full suit a extremely tough body aromour.

If you remember the battering you could take with a decent amount of power you could keep it up all day and night. (Im refering to the Suit)

In the movies it says "health", and i think it says "armour" or "power" with the % next to it, and they're in little grey boxes, but in HL1 the health was a cross (I think) and the armour was a picture of a stickman thing.

Also, in the Barney scene you see him change weapons. It's a totally different style to HL1.

Also, if you look at the picture of HL2 Gordon, his HEV is more grey, whereas the HL1 HEV was more orange.

Plus, in HL1 the HEV has a low grey neck thing. In HL2, it's red, a lot higher, and covers his neck. It looks like it's been made more efficient for combat.

ARGH.. you guys all suck.. SUCK I tell yah!!

me wants TF2 very very badly, when hl and tfc came out it changed my life to gaming and how i was addicted to it and brought into the game ...everything around me was space i did not know what was going on except being involved in the game. I dont get like that anymore...ever. I really hope Valve can change this for me for HL2 and TF2 (especially TF2 online, damn it better kick ass....)

Oooooooooookayyyyy....*edges away from EVIL*.
In any case, the 'changed' HEV may have just been changed to look cooler, rather than pertain to any significance to a 'bigger and better' HEV suit for Gordon.

-Vert

I dont think he time traveled. Maybe they got ahold of him and the research guy from old Black Mesa gave him a new improved HEV suit.

It's clearly a different/modified HEV! I don't know if it's any more effective, but it's changed. See! :p

Ok, I'm not saying it hasn't been modified to a certain extent, but I'm saying it might've just been modified by Valve to look cooler...they do that in all sorts of games, and it doesn't mean there's any significance behind it, other than the 'coolness factor'.

-Vert

Yeah, it could have been for the "coolness factor". Also, it would be a bit boring if your HEV is exactly the same in HL2.
I wonder if it has any nifty new features? :p I doubt it, but it'd be kinda cool if it does.

we don't know where gordon was sent by the g-man, maybe he was sent somewhere and decided to modify his HEV suit after all he is told he earned it and can keep it so maybe he figured to upgrade it from any flaws he encounterd before with it to make it more battle hardend, hence the extra armour you see fitted in the new HEV pics

Back