Half-Life 2 to be released on Playstation 2

Axyon

Reaction score
Half-Life 2 to be on Playstation 2

Gaming site IGN questioned VALVe's marketing director, Doug Lombardi, during the ECTS last week about rumours that Half-Life 2 would be ported to the Playstation 2. Doug confirmed:
"...Valve's director of marketing Doug Lombardi confirmed that Half-Life 2 would be making its way to the PlayStation 2 sometime in the future."
Half-Life 2 is already scheduled for an X-Box release, so it was fairly inevitable for the game to be released on Sony's console.

I'm just curious how on earth they gonna fit every tech detail on a PS2 :)
I doubt people want to play it at half the beauty of the PC version.

I am guessing the game will be toned down for the PS2 with crappy graphics and smaller levels, but that little black box is pretty capable of playing a game of HL2 calibur, look at Splinter Cell. :)

But in all honestly I would hope they would wait til the PS3 comes out since it will be much more advanced then the current one and would show HalfLife 2 in all its glory.

No console can match a PC though in FPS because using a mouse/keyboard is sooo much easier then a bulky controller. But that's another debate altogether.

and this isnt the place to debate that. I am suprised its even able to play on a PS2.

The PS2 doesn't support DX8 pixel shaders does it? So no bump mapping or fresnelwater on the PS2. Will look like you're playing it on a Geforce 2 if I'm right.

And guess what planethalflife thinks.......yup they state that half-life2 is going to xbox only among the consoles..

Originally posted by EVIL
and this isnt the place to debate that. I am suprised its even able to play on a PS2.

And you're not surprised that it'll be playable on a 700 P3 w/ a TNT2?

WRONG WRONG WRONG- stop posting this stuff its spreading rumors- IGN MESSED UP- DOUG LOMBARDIS quote was actually that it will reach xbox 2004 and THE NEXT sony and nintendo consoles. guess more disappointed players are abound when they learn the truth...

ROFL LOL !!!!!!

Half Life 2 on the PS2 yeah whatever ...

they might release something on the PS2 but it sure as hell wouldn't be Half Life 2.

edit: thats the funiest thing i've heard since the "i like crosshairs like in CS they're small and realistic". rofl

Originally posted by kinggi
WRONG WRONG WRONG- stop posting this stuff its spreading rumors- IGN MESSED UP- DOUG LOMBARDIS quote was actually that it will reach xbox 2004 and THE NEXT sony and nintendo consoles. guess more disappointed players are abound when they learn the truth...

Any evidence to back this up?

im pretty sure the ps2 can handle hl2 fine... its what a dual 700mhz processor. and im sure they will tone down some for the ps2.

if this even makes it to the ps2 i dont really give...i just want my pc version on the 30th of this month :D (which aint even all that long away)

We should get this cleared up and correct it if it's wrong. IGN may be right, but given that Lombardi elsewhere said "next" consoles, they may well have just been confused about the ps2. They didn't include a quote with their report, so in a sense it's only a rumor.

I don't know what the hell you guys are thinking, the PS2 is just as capable of handling Half-Life as your X-Box. X-Box might just load the levels a bit faster, and that is as far as the difference would go.

Originally posted by Marauder
I don't know what the hell you guys are thinking, the PS2 is just as capable of handling Half-Life as your X-Box. X-Box might just load the levels a bit faster, and that is as far as the difference would go.

No, as far as I know, the PS2 is direct X 7 compliant. For all I know, it doesn't support DX8 per pixel shaders so no bump maps or reflective/refractive water.
To back that claim up, I have never seen any PS2 game with DX8 shaders.
Besides, the PS2 has 4 MB of videomemory, not that much when you're talking about 2048x2048 textures eh?

PS: It's Xbox , not X-Box...

lol, thats like saying:
"the Super Nintendo is just as capable of handling GoldenEye as your Nintendo 64."

Lets be honest here, XBOX can out perform the PS2 in every way. I'm sure they will tone some things down for the console version but you have to remember something. A TV can only support a resolution of 720 x 540, this means that you do not need as good of hardware to play the game. However, XBOX supports a HDTV resolution so it would be cool if they made it support that, which they probably will.

Back