Half-Life 2: Update (Community made mod for Half-Life 2 updates the whole game)

mooki

Tank
Reaction score
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1

So this is pretty interesting.

A completely free and extensive community-developed update for Half-Life 2 featuring beautiful lighting, countless bug fixes, and a brand new Community Commentary Mode. With Half-Life 2: Update, there’s never been a better time to revisit City 17.

Here's the brochure with all of the cool little things they fixed.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...ls/HL2_Update_Brochure_Steam.pdf?t=1427308170[/url

Hopefully they fixed that pistol bug where it doesn't eject a casing.

Also it's pretty funny to see Valve help develop this. They're supposed to be ignoring Half-Life. This is the first Half-Life product they've developed since Episode 2.

I appreciate the bug fixes, but I don't like the visual changes. I think I'd rather play the 2004 version.

I really really think the new shadows look fantastic. I can't wait to see how it is in game. The images look sharper and the fog looks pretty appropriate to me.

Cool I guess, gives me a reason to re-play hl2. I don't however like the ravenholm in the new screens, it almost looks "swampy".

Oh also the changes are so minor they're barely noticeable

I'll front page this tomorrow after I get home from school.

This also reminds me that I need to post the HL subtitles mod.

I really really think the new shadows look fantastic. I can't wait to see how it is in game. The images look sharper and the fog looks pretty appropriate to me.
I agree, but the coloring of the new lights look so orange/yellowish, thats the only downside I can find though.

I think he's referring to the fact that HL2 was updated to the 2007 version of the source engine back in 2010 (coinciding with the release of the Mac version). This update introduced a buttload of bugs, some of which were fixed while Valve fine tuned the Steampipe/Linux stuff back in 2013.

The "2004" version of HL2 doesn't exist, unless you have old data files lying around.

Yeah... how do you even get the 2004 Half-Life 2 retail version without any updates? Doesnt Steam just automatically update it?

There used to be a mod that reverted HL2 to the 2004 engine. I had it, but I believe it was the Steampipe update which made it unusable. Not sure if it's been updated since then.

I think he's referring to the fact that HL2 was updated to the 2007 version of the source engine back in 2010 (coinciding with the release of the Mac version). This update introduced a buttload of bugs, some of which were fixed while Valve fine tuned the Steampipe/Linux stuff back in 2013.

The "2004" version of HL2 doesn't exist, unless you have old data files lying around.

Yeah current version has this weird rainbow colored lightmaps , AI bugs (MarphyBlack has a video of it) and some animation bugs. Steampipe fixed some of it but there was only Alfred working on it... because reasons.

Luckily FV made a fix, I can live with some cosmetic changes.

Back