Half-Life 2: Update Modification has been Released

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
hl2-update_banner.jpg

A project developed by Filip Victor and in collaboration with some other contributors from the community, Half-Life 2: Update aims to give the original game a modern polish while retaining Half-Life 2's style and gameplay.

Half-Life 2: Update features many graphical improvements and overhauls. Included is better lighting (HDR, shadows, interior lighting, light rays), enhanced fog, prettier water, and detailed scenes with more props and further draw distances.

hl2-update_2.jpg

hl2-update_3.jpg

hl2-update_1.jpg

In addition to the graphical improvements, Half-Life 2: Update aims to fix other game-related bugs and glitches. Bad event triggers and strange character animations that break immersion are a main focus.

New Advanced Features
Detailed Shadows
Light Rays
Particle Effects
High Dynamic Range​
Improved Features
Water Detail
World Reflections
Collision System
Scripted Sequences​

Finally, Community Commentary has been added. Written by Zachary Howlett and other members of the community, there are over 100 commentary nodes that contain information about Half-Life 2's design and development. Those resources were pulled from various Valve interviews, videos, and other literature like Raising the Bar and their development papers. The commentary is narrated by Ross Scott from Freeman's Mind and other community members.

You can download the game from Steam right now!

Last edited:
Another reason to replay hl2.
Ok fine,i'll do it :D
This will be my 13th time yay :D

I'm noticing lots of really cool things.

- Music fades out right before loading screens
- Game seems brighter and more colorful
- Props being picked up interact a lot smoother with walls and surfaces and don't freak out as much as before
- Commentary mode is actually really interesting
- Explosions look better

Seems that valve has been part of the developement, but I can't figure out in what way....Any ideas?

Seems that valve has been part of the developement, but I can't figure out in what way....Any ideas?
what makes you think that? For me there is no indication that Valve did anything, I mean this Update isnt THAT big of a difference and I think the guy who made it worked on it for a long time now. Only thing is that its available on Steam and that its name sounds like its an official thing.

I think they put Valve on the developers list simply because it's Half-Life 2 and the modders only really changed a few things.

I think I'm the only person here who hasn't played HL2 more than once. I will be playing through again with this, though. Best game.

no valve saw it and i think thats how its on the steam store guys

Valve working on a HL2 mod?

I'm calling it,
Half-Life 3 cunfirmud!

I think I'm the only person here who hasn't played HL2 more than once. I will be playing through again with this, though. Best game.
Nope, It's going to be my second playthrough as well :)

I really want to see Ravenholm again, but I am in no way looking forward to "Follow Freeman". I thought it was just too long and the strider battle was boring, but it might just be me. After all,
I liked "Water Hazard".

I'm going back to my warm hole in the ground, where I can dream about cheese all day and night. I'll wake up whenever it's needed, god bless necromancy.

Been playing HL2: Update and the difference is so subtle yet the experience feels a lot more refreshing. The eye candy is more vibrant but not overdone.

The developer said Valve only helped him with putting the game on Steam. He's the sole developer on the MOD and Origin and nVidia supported him with optimisations and backing. And the community contributed to the commentary.

I'm noticing lots of really cool things.

- Music fades out right before loading screens
- Game seems brighter and more colorful
- Props being picked up interact a lot smoother with walls and surfaces and don't freak out as much as before
- Commentary mode is actually really interesting
- Explosions look better

The reason the music fades is probably because Source has never handled transitioning well when music has played - it would repeat the same damn section over and over. Not sure if the commentary mode is any different but its also available let in pretty much every Source Valve game.

Now I hope Valve does this (or supports a team doing this) for Source 2 as well.

the mods store page says : developer: Filip Victor, Valve http://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/
Probably because all the previous work is Valve's and it helps give exposure to the mod if its listed under Valve's developer page on steam.

I just completed my Half-Life 2 Update Playthrough. You know, it always was self-evident for me that Half-life 2 the best game of all time, and because of that I kinda forget what actually was so great about it because I stopped thinking about it (cause its self-evident). And because of that I just remembered and realized how ****ing good this game actually is throughout my playthrough. The first 5 chapters or so were fun as always but you know I completed it like 15 times or so so nothing special for me, but as I kept going, especially the last chapters, I kinda got an epic feeling.
Before I never realized how big a thing the uprising by the resistence fighters actually is and what kind of symbol Freeman is for the people. OH and the dialog at the end with Dr.Breen SOO GOOOODD!!! And after that you see him talk with an Advisor! And then when you drive down the elevator and Alyx tells you to take care and the music pumps I got goosebumps and I got goosebumps many many times and THAT ENDING GUYSSSS
I think this is also because in my previous playthroughs Half-Life 2 was so fresh and so much fun that I kinda rushed through it, I played around with stuff but I still want to make progress as fast as possible, because you know I wanted to see what happens next. But this time I played much more relaxed and stuff.
I wish it was 2004 and i could start a completely fresh playthrough :S

or just give me HL3, thats fine too

I love your post lol. You make it sound like you beat HL2 for the first time.
That just goes to show how awesome HL2 is where you can still get goosebumps and everything from playing it again after 11 years. Just imagine how people felt back in the day playing it for the first time.

Back