Half Life 3 (FM)

BadWolf

Headcrab
Reaction score
Hi all,

Yes, the title say Half Life 3, because that is. I'm a fan of Half Life since it appeared on the market for the first time, and like everyone else, even though the years pass and pass, I'm still waiting to see the end, or at least so far. Over time I have become one of those fans who begin to believe that the third installment will never see the light and then I thought:

What if we do not expect it to come out? I say, we have seen do real wonders with mods, even a very good recreation of Half Life 1 using the Source What if we make ourselves an Half Life 3?

I am a professional screenwriter and fan of Half Life, the perfect combination. I created a script where I continue the plot abandoned by Valve, where I explain certain details of the plot (in my own way) and create new story lines ... but although i work on 3D design, I do it from the point of view of the special effects, and this idea requires a group of fans who know how to handle the tools of Half Life 2 (and all we can reuse).

What do you think of my proposal? We say finish what it Valve started, to give a good ending to Gordon Freeman.

PS: sorry for my english

What if we do not expect it to come out?
Given certain departures from the company and the sheer length of time it's been since we've seen anything truly new, I'm mostly in this camp at this point.

The question is that we can do a good sequel, and for that purpose we need a great story and maps.

Well my mapping skills are probably rather average, but if you are really doing this I'd love to help. I have a few concerns that make me sceptical though. Can you really assemble a skilled, trustworthy team? How high is the budget? Won't there be problems with copyright? etc.

Hello UshankaCat;

First of all, there is not a budget. I do this for love of the game, and the copyrights only affect to this budget. As a fan made game, we dont need pay to Valve anything, but neither we can make money with the game. I understand that this may be a problem for some people. There isn´t a budget.

On the other hand, i will need modders, but i think that there are many competent people, and that together we can make a great game, we just need to organize ourselves.

For now, i have a musical composer, obviously, a work mate, and artistic designers.

I hope this can answer all your questions.

I am not trying to be rude, but rather than have a pretender to this franchise, I would rather not have a sequel at all. I saw a lot of better studios ( better than a few fans, I mean professionals ) that failed at making games. So if you want to do a sequel, it will have to be better than what Halo is right now, which I doubt a hand ( or more hands and a few legs ) of fans can do. If you just want to make an end to the story, it will be fan made, which is not appealing to many other fans. Anybody can have a story idea. I personaly ( and many others ) prefer the canon stuff, done by professionals, than getting so desperate to waste time for anything less.
I appreciate what you try to do, but... get real. With your talent, try to make some new titles, and you could have some success that could also bring you some money. This is the logical strategy, whether you want to see it or not.
Best of luck in any path you choose to follow.
Also, are you sure that you can make a mod called HL3 without any legal consequences? Just asking....

Thanks for the answer TigerX;
The law allows to make a game like this if we dont make money with it . As I said, a fan made.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about what is better or not, I just look for people who want to do something interesting.

Just my opinion, but if a sequel is made by the community, I would rather see an HL2 episode 3 rather than an HL3.
I mean, a new HL3 would mean a new game engine, with lots of new features never seen in current AAA games. This requires the skill of several very good Physics / Graphics / Sound.... programmers that would dedicate their time during several years. Hard to imagine...
If the aim is just to do a HL3 on Source engine.... it's rather a Mod than a new game.
...Or maybe you could wait Source 2

Well, im not a modder, this is another reason why we need modders. I don know if it is better with source or wait for the source 2 or what... or if it is called mod or game... I do my job... write a great story.

I'm starting to get into the screenwriting business myself, so if you need any help or critiquing of the story or dialogue you wrote, let me know. This sounds like a really cool project.

Hi all,

What if we do not expect it to come out? I say, we have seen do real wonders with mods, even a very good recreation of Half Life 1 using the Source What if we make ourselves an Half Life 3?

I am a professional screenwriter and fan of Half Life, the perfect combination. I created a script where I continue the plot abandoned by Valve, where I explain certain details of the plot (in my own way) and create new story lines ... but although i work on 3D design, I do it from the point of view of the special effects, and this idea requires a group of fans who know how to handle the tools of Half Life 2 (and all we can reuse).

1. We are not completely sure that Valve will never release HL3.

2. Creating a new HL game or any new game (as 10n02 said) requires a new version of it's current engine or a new engine , even if we get a new one , can we create a complete new HL ? All the sprite designing , physics , AI , etc requires a studio and a big game designer team. (Also the new game should offer better graphics , gameplay , etc)

3. Valve must give the permission to that studio. Will it ?

These are the simple problems...

Back