Half Life 3 !!

Hey that's pretty stupid since Valve used the words "Half-Life 3" even in the very first HL2 article back in Mars/May 2003... So how can it be leaked NOW? They CLEARLY stated that stuff that got cut from HL2 for various reasons would be put in HL3... I mean come on.

Well maybe not but they still said it in the very first HL2 interview ever. That's gotta mean something at least.

Yea, the idea that HL3 is in the planning isn't exactly big news. But, I sure hope that the "playable Alyx" is bogus...I'm having Max Payne 2 flashbacks.

Playing Alyx? I love the character, but playing it is a big no-no imo.
Lets stick to good ol' Gordy.

Yea you gotta go gordon.
The game wont feel so atmospheric with another character i dont think.

I think this is a misunderstanding. Gabe referred to making an Alyx-Backstory expansion ages ago. We've known about it for a while. And they said "All the things we're not putting into Source now are going to be in Half-Life 3".

Of course there will be Half-Life 3, but I don't think you will play as any other than gordon, other than in expansion packs like opposing force and blue shift.

I thought that everyone at valve would either be working on HL2 bugs or on a long vacation.

cool i hope it true.
i still hope valve also planning on something new maybe a new story :)

Play as Gordon in HL1, 2 and 3 thankyou very much. Alyx should be a expansion pack thingo and unless there is some weird body swap shennanigans I will be horribly annoyed to play as Alyx in HL3.

I won't play HL3 if Alyx is the main character either ... Gordon or bust! lol

I doubt it'll be Alex you play for several reasons. An expansion featuring Alex is just bound to happen (which is probably what Gamereactor confused for Half-Life 3). Alex has already spoken in Half-Life 2 so it won't have the same effect, and Gordon's story isn't over yet, we still haven't got a clue about who the G-Man is or know anything about Gordon's role in the grand scheme of things.

will hl3 be the end? if not, it's kinda lame to stretch it out but no more half life = :(

Valve isn't going to make Alyx a playable character in HL3. Their big thing about both Half-Life games is to create a seamless experience, where you ARE Gordon Freeman, and no cutscenes or glaring level changes would take you out of that experience. A change of character would totally destroy that.

I think playable Alyx as an expansion might be okay... maybe...

I mean we got to play as Barney Calhoun in Blue Shift so it's not unprecidented.

Mattigus is right. Aside from expansions, you will never be anyone except Gordon Freeman.

Anyway...old news is so exciting. ;) I'm just razzing ya, Lemming. Let the wild rampant speculation on what HL3 is going to be like begin!

HL3 you say...

Alright see you guys in what, 6 years?

/chu goes downstairs, "Bippity Boppity"

I'm pretty sure the Alyx thing would have been a misinterpretation. Valve have said that they'd like to tell Alyx's story (ie you play as Alyx) in an expansion pack. They probably mentioned this at the time that they also mentioned HL3, and a journalist put the two together.

I'd say HL3 is only a couple of years away (three at most), since they don't have to create an engine from scratch this time, they already have the base technology, and probably a lot of assets that can be re-used.

chu said:
HL3 you say...

Alright see you guys in what, 6 years?

/chu goes downstairs, "Bippity Boppity"

Wont take that long, they already have the engine done :)

3 hours a month for 5 months, 7 months testing and finalising. We will have it in a year! :D

Logic said:
I'm pretty sure the Alyx thing would have been a misinterpretation. Valve have said that they'd like to tell Alyx's story (ie you play as Alyx) in an expansion pack. They probably mentioned this at the time that they also mentioned HL3, and a journalist put the two together.

I'd say HL3 is only a couple of years away (three at most), since they don't have to create an engine from scratch this time, they already have the base technology, and probably a lot of assets that can be re-used.
Yeah i strongly doubt the reliabillity of Gamereactor.

A "quick" overview:

They are directly translating other sites articles, then claiming them as their own.
They don't give any source to their articles or news.
They don't respect copyright, as in pictures and movies exclusively released to other parties.(They did it with some exclusive shots of ours, we branded them with a very hard to see logo, and even when it was resized it was obvious it was still there). Then there was a couple of videos pulled down because they were "Testing their download-servers". However i sat with a BCC'ed email from Epic saying they were not allowed to post that movie yet.
Restricting the download to paying users only is also illegal due to the copyrights of free material(it's not illegal to have a free service and a service you pay for for the material, just as long you have the alternative to get it for free). Let's just say that the parties involved were considering legal action.

They also made a similar article earlier this year stating that Half-Life 3 was coming, that is also true.

But what's disclosed today seems more like copying and pasting various interviews, articles and such. They were at Seattle once, where they were told Half-Life 3 was coming(And i believe it was even "announced" before).

Then there's the interviews stating that they want to play a bit the thought of including other characters in the game experience(i.e an Alyx Expansion of some sort). And then there's the interviews stating they will be using a lot of stuff that missed the Half-Life 2 deadline and reuse it in Half-Life 3.

Back