Half Life best game ever?

Gordan Freeman

Headcrab
Reaction score
Half life is defintly a revolutionary game for its time and still is good enough for modern game standards.
Half life feels like no other game presenting its plot really well why not losing concentration on the plot.Half life is an instant classic.The astmosphere of the game makes you feel alone and hopeless while escaping the black mesa facility.The game acutually makes you feel like your underground because its enclosed spaces and level design.You feel a sence of achievement when you reach high ground.Overall half life is one of the first games i ever played but now still 15 years later since it came out it still beats todays games and dominates my all time favourite game list! [Tell me your thoughts on half life 1]

I feel a lot of what you said is true in the eyes of most people, especially the likes of @Hectic Glenn.

I've said this a bunch of times in the past, but I personally feel Portal 2 is my "favourite" game of all time, even though I view Half-Life 2 as Valve's "best" game.

I feel a lot of what you said is true in the eyes of most people, especially the likes of @Hectic Glenn.

I've said this a bunch of times in the past, but I personally feel Portal 2 is my "favourite" game of all time, even though I view Half-Life 2 as Valve's "best" game.
Yes portal is a masterpiece for its humor and cleverness but for me half life is the best game but i agree portal is great.

But there is one thing we cant deney without half life valve wouldnt be the same.What i dont get is how a 15 year old game can top most games today.In pop culture gordan freeman is a game industry icon!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, it's also a master piece for its graphics.
Textures & lighting are well adjusted: Images have a "low frequency" and are very smooth. This is really pleasant and relaxing for your brain who can easily decide what you have to do, who you have to shoot. You just have to focus on the gameplay.

To illustrate that let me ask you:

Would you prefer to shoot monsters with those graphics:
halflife2.jpg

Or those graphics:
crysis-005.jpg

HL2 & Portal have also the good cleaned graphics spirit of Half life, in a more modern way.
I really hope that the Source 2 engine will not fall into the trap of over-realism graphics that could be good on an E3 presentation powerpoint, but that totally break the gameplay.

Textures & lighting are well adjusted: Images have a "low frequency" and are very smooth. This is really pleasant and relaxing for your brain who can easily decide what you have to do, who you have to shoot. You just have to focus on the gameplay.

halflife2.jpg

Or those graphics:
crysis-005.jpg

HL2 & Portal have also the good cleaned graphics spirit of Half life, in a more modern way.
I really hope that the Source 2 engine will not fall into the trap of over-realism graphics that could be good on an E3 presentation powerpoint, but that totally break the gameplay.[/QUOTE
they should bring out a half life package with half life original,hl2 and the episodes with the option to switch between halflife orignal graphics and a remake for pc and consoles now that is valve masterpiece.

they should bring out a half life package with half life original,hl2 and the episodes with the option to switch between halflife orignal graphics and a remake for pc and consoles now that is valve masterpiece.
Half-Life Collection: Source 2.0? Oh God, please. Gaben do it

halflife2.jpg

Or those graphics:
crysis-005.jpg

I really hope that the Source 2 engine will not fall into the trap of over-realism graphics that could be good on an E3 presentation powerpoint, but that totally break the gameplay.
Is that a custom crowbar skin? That looks too detailed to be vanilla. Or was it PS2?

I'm the same way. Team Fortress 2 is my favorite game of all time, but Half-Life 2 is the best game of all time to me.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I dont know what it really is, but Half-Life 2 and even Half-Life 1 still look good today. When you have a game like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 ,or go even further, Halo or Jedi Knight 2 you think "omg this looks so ugly", but when I see Half-Life I think "this looks old, but good". I think its mainly because both games are just designed so well.
Art Design > Graphics. Another game like this is Metal Gear Solid, imo it still looks "good" today.
You took a picture from Crysis to illustrate this, but a better game would be the new Shadow Warrior game. I think that games looks so UGLY. There is that Bloom effect all over the place, some animations are clonky and bad, everywhere is fire, it was just hard to look at that game. The funny thing is, there is that easter egg in the game where you can find a room which is from the first Shadow Warrior game. Suddenly everything looks smooth and nice, you go outside that room and everything looks dark again and there is so much "noise" in the picture.

Shadow-Warrior-02.jpg

shadow-warrior-review-screen-4.jpg

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are also masterpieces for their sounddesign. Really, every sound in the game is unique and I could immediately tell that its from Half-Life if someone didnt tell me.

Yes portal is a masterpiece for its humor and cleverness but for me half life is the best game but i agree portal is great.

If you like Half-Life so much, you should know that you write Half-Life with a "-" and not "Half Life" :)
(and you wrote "Gordon" wrong)

my list:
1. Half-Life 1/ Half-Life 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Deus Ex

Dark Souls is for the Action/Adventure/RPG genre, what Half-Life is for the FPS genre. They have sooo many similarities in my opinion.

Last edited:
Personally, I think saying it is the best game ever might be a bit of a stretch; but only because pitting a series like Half-Life against (say) Shovel Knight doesn't really work. They are both completely different games, and what works in one may not work in another. Half-Life is certainly the best FPS action game, but it's because people say things like "Call Of Duty is the best game ever!" that we get a billion mediocre Call-of-Duty-Best-Game-Ever wannabes instead of people just trying to make the best game they COULD make.

Unless we are talking about "favorite game of all time". Then everything I just wrote is meaningless because that would make this about opinion and not genuine quality (Not that there isn't an overlap between opinion and genuine quality).

well while playing Half-Life 2 for the first time I did have way more fun than playing Shovel Knight for the first time. I impressed me more than Shovel Knight. You can compare those kinda things. (I dont want to say Shovel Knight was bad, I absolutely love it!!!!!)
hmmm maybe you´re right

Personally, I think saying it is the best game ever might be a bit of a stretch; but only because pitting a series like Half-Life against (say) Shovel Knight doesn't really work. They are both completely different games, and what works in one may not work in another. Half-Life is certainly the best FPS action game, but it's because people say things like "Call Of Duty is the best game ever!" that we get a billion mediocre Call-of-Duty-Best-Game-Ever wannabes instead of people just trying to make the best game they COULD make.

Unless we are talking about "favorite game of all time". Then everything I just wrote is meaningless because that would make this about opinion and not genuine quality (Not that there isn't an overlap between opinion and genuine quality).
Well in genral Half Life is the best game of all time to me because it gives you a storyline and atmosphere that no other game has had.As soon as you get into half life you began to know that it is a special game.Half Life struck me on how special and unique the game is with its design that is original and not just anothers FPS game.

What is it that struck you with portal?

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I dont know what it really is, but Half-Life 2 and even Half-Life 1 still good today. When you have a game like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 ,or go even further, Halo or Jedi Knight 2 you think "omg this looks so ugly", but when I see Half-Life I think "this looks old, but good". I think its mainly because both games are just designed so well.
Art Design > Graphics. Another game like this is Metal Gear Solid, imo it still looks "good" today.
You took a picture from Crysis to illustrate this, but a better game would be the new Shadow Warrior game. I think that games looks so UGLY. There is that Bloom effect all over the place, some animations are clonky and bad, everywhere is fire, it was just hard to look at that game. The funny thing is, there is that easter egg in the game where you can find a room which is from the first Shadow Warrior game. Suddenly everything looks smooth and nice, you go outside that room and everything looks dark again and there is so much "noise" in the picture.

Shadow-Warrior-02.jpg

shadow-warrior-review-screen-4.jpg

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are also masterpieces for their sounddesign. Really, every sound in the game is unique and I could immediately tell that its from Half-Life if someone didnt tell me.

If you like Half-Life so much, you should know that you write Half-Life with a "-" and not "Half Life" :)
(and you wrote "Gordon" wrong)

my list:
1. Half-Life 1/ Half-Life 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Deus Ex

Dark Souls is for the Action/Adventure/RPG genre, what Half-Life is for the FPS genre. They have sooo many similarities in my opinion.
Yes i get what you mean by genre differences but genraly half life is my all time favourite and conquers all other genres to me.

i'm really glad the OP condensed all of his thoughts into one post instead of shitting up his own thread

thanks mod

do I think half-life is the best game ever? no not really. do I think opposing force is the better half-life game? hell yeah

Last edited:
I have never played opposing force or blue shift are they good i saw videos of them a bit
Yep, but I personally prefer Opposing Force, than Blue Shift. Both introduce some new enemies, locations, characters, weapons and gadgets ( Snarks FTW ), like stand-alone expansion packs should do. Also their stories are quite nice, introducing new plot elements that sadly are not considered canon by Valve. OF is longer and bigger than BS, btw.

I don't think a HL1 remake will ever be done by valve, though i wish they would with how bad BMS screwed up.

That being said i would love a collection of Half-life games running on source 2. Just have HL1,expansions and DM upgraded to source 2 and have their HD pack. upgrade HL2 to source 2, combine HL2 and the episodes to make 1 giant game, throw in DM as well, upgrade the soldier AI to be the one used in EP2 if it isn't already. and I'd also love it if portal and portal 2 were thrown in as well. Just name it the "Half-Life Universe collection"

I don't think a HL1 remake will ever be done by valve, though i wish they would with how bad BMS screwed up.

That being said i would love a collection of Half-life games running on source 2. Just have HL1,expansions and DM upgraded to source 2 and have their HD pack. upgrade HL2 to source 2, combine HL2 and the episodes to make 1 giant game, throw in DM as well, upgrade the soldier AI to be the one used in EP2 if it isn't already. and I'd also love it if portal and portal 2 were thrown in as well. Just name it the "Half-Life Universe collection"

Black Mesa was great and with the Steam Release there will be a major overhaul. The only serious issues were some weapon animations and sounds which made the weapons less fun to use, but aside from that it was great.

I love and Half-Life and all, but I don't think its even the best shooter. I think that title belongs to Doom.

Yes doom is good i own it on my 360 it is a classic but to me half life started 3D 1st person shooters,quake was good too but half life story was epic.

I love and Half-Life and all, but I don't think its even the best shooter. I think that title belongs to Doom.
Hey nice batman picture, i collect comics and play the arkham games animated series too

After playing Half-life 2 and it's episodes recently, I must say...
Half-Life 2 is the greatest game ever. Half-Life is pretty much second place. (HL was the best game until HL2 came out; HL2 has the makings of a perfect sequel.) It retained elements and mechanics from HL1 that made it so good, improved things, added groundbreaking mechanics, and just blew everyone away. I mean the game got an 11/10 from Maximum PC

I loved black mesa and finally reaching the surface. It felt like such an accomplishment.
HL2 is different though. It's much more expansive. There was a lot of large terrains, not just in the driving sections too. Lots of city to walk around, lots of underground. Very little back tracking. I think HL2 covered more ground (literally) to show as much of Earth as possible to the player after the resonance cascade. You got to see secret rebel camps, zombie infested cities, antlion infested prisons and caves, combine ruled streets and apartments, and what not.

So yeah HL1 was lke an 'escape the claustrophobic underground facility' while HL2 was more like 'travel miles underground or via vehicle etc. to meet with characters or accomplish something for the rebellion."

I did not like the black mesa mod at all anybody else,it didnt feel right.Oh and mookbi you should play the original not BMS.You get the real feeling and get the full game.BMS doesnt have the xen or xeon ending.(alien planet)

I did not like the black mesa mod at all anybody else,it didnt feel right.Oh and mookbi you should play the original not BMS.You get the real feeling and get the full game.BMS doesnt have the xen or xeon ending.(alien planet)
Oh yeah, I played the original Half-Life back in 1999-2000 on the CD before Steam. :) Masterpiece

Back