Halfe life 2 (Episode one and Two) stops responding in windows 7 PLEASE HELP

RussianBear22

Reaction score
Hello, I have all half life 2 games and they all have the same problem. As soon as I lunch the game the game stops responding during the initial cut scene then recovers immidiatly and goes to the main menu. Everything runs fine for a while then the game stops responding again randomly through the game. Sometimes in recovers sometimes it crashes. If I run full screen then I also get a looping sound and I can't minimize the window or even use task manager to end the process. The problem still happens in Episode two but less often. Here are my specs

Windows 7 64bit Home Edition
Q9450 CPU
GTX 275 SLI
P5N-D Mother Board
Corsair TX 950 non modular PSU
Antec 902 Case
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

This problem also occured before with my old processor (e5300)

Sorry foe the late rsponse, but I remember having this same problem on my old computer. The problem for me was a crappy graphics card, because the problem went away right after I got a new graphics card. But the gpu that you have is more than good enough to run hl2.

So what could be a problem is your CPU. Dual Core cpu's like yours have a bad habit of getting really hot, and if your cooling system isn't working right, this could easily cause the problem that you have. I'd try getting a program that tells you your CPU temp while you play, and if it's high, then getting a new cooler will be the solution.

If the temp comes up normal, than I'd try verifying integrity of game cache, but I doubt that you have any missing files since this problem is in more than one game.

P.s How do other games run?

They run really well. I get similiar error when I play black ops sometimes but it doesn't happen often. Now that I think about it i do get the kernel driver failer often when I play however some games do it more then others. I have after market cooling on my cpu and its a quad. There should be no performance issues at all and drivers are always up to date. I think its my mother board.