Has the HL2 update been cancelled?

Reaction score
I remember hearing that after the Orange Box launch that we PC owners would get the same update our console counterparts got. I'm just wondering are we still going to get HDR and achievements in HL2 and Episode 1. I've heard nothing since about this, and Valve do seem to be taking a long time if we are getting it.

I'm assuming it's Day of Defeat: Source, then Counter-Strike: Source, then the single player games.

Seems strange though. I mean they already have all the content for HL2 and Ep1, so why do them last?
With DOD:S and CS:S they have to make these new achievements and content. Surely it's easier to do the one they have content for already.

Seems strange though. I mean they already have all the content for HL2 and Ep1, so why do them last?
With DOD:S and CS:S they have to make these new achievements and content. Surely it's easier to do the one they have content for already.

well quite a few users still have DX7 cards, the new engine doesn't support DX7, that will eliminate some of their user base

ive heard that you will have the choice if you want the update or not.

It seems to have taken a backseat to L4D and Episode Three.

I'm just content with them doing it, I really don't care when, but just make sure it's not buggy as hell.

I remember hearing that after the Orange Box launch that we PC owners would get the same update our console counterparts got.
Where did you "hear" this? Was it a rumour or was it from the horse's mouth? (Source please)

What a shame.

I remember the ep1 recap in ep2, it had dynamic shadows and I was like "hurr wat" :hmph:

How hard could achievements be to add? It's not like they have to start from scratch. Just take what's on the consoles.

I love Valve, but sometimes they truly baffle me.

Where did you "hear" this? Was it a rumour or was it from the horse's mouth? (Source please)

I can't remember where i heard it, it could possibly had been from a rumor. But when i E-mailed you guys about it i got this

"Don't have a definitive date for you right now. We're just now coming out of the post-shipping haze" -Erik Johnson

I've also had another that said that all the old source games such as HL2 will be brought onto the new Source engine, can't see to find that right now.

This person got an E-mail from you saying we will get it. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj124/anisotonic/tehgabeemail.jpg

I'll see if i can find more, but the general feeling is that we would get it based of your guys E-mail responses. Just look at your very own Steam forum and you'll see.
I would appreciate it if you could tell us if we are getting it or not.

Closest I got:
Valve said they were going to port HL2 and EP1 (and their MP games) to Source 2007 and all the features from the Xbox release (i.e. HDR in HL2), So that should mean achievements as well.

Apparently Valve are now going to port all of their Source games to Source 2007 (so Half-Life: Source is getting a new flashlight and particles) DoD:S is the first MP game of theirs to be ported (not counting TF2, even though it started off back on "GoldSrc").
Valve's been saying that for a couple of years now, though.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=639859&pid=589454716&st=0&#entry589454716

Damn, i'd really like this. It's been getting slightly more difficult to enjoy playing through HL2 recently, and i'm sure this would bring a new lease of life to the game.

Back