have I encountered my first Steam phiser?

Reaction score
Just got this IM a min ago. I dont know this person, and of course, it looks really suspicious. I didn't realize that this stuff was happening in Steam. Or am I wrong?

steamwtf.jpg

Yep, this happens all the time

That attempt is more transparent than most, even.

wow I have been (more or less) logged in to steam since since Half-Life 2's release and never came across this kind of thing. weird. Reminds me the first time I came across a phiser when I was but a wee lad using AOL. Of course I gave them my password, since Mr. Thompson was doing routine checks through my aol accounts and needed to verify said password. I should have been tipped off with the SX7df5ehDM-esque screen name but oh well, I was friggin 12. Mom was plenty pissed at me though.

phisher without a doubt, one of the least inventive to boot

The thing is the website looks just like the real steam homepage.

BEWARE.

what the hell! i never got one of these steam phis IM's before, and now I get two in one night! even the steam ID is would be somewhat legit looking to the naive.
steamwtf2.jpg

what the heck did I do?

You should have a privacy setting on Steam which asks if you want person x conversation box to open, which you can choose yes or no.

We get 3 or 4 of these people coming into the HL2.net Steam Community chat room daily spamming similar phishing sites. If curiosity gets the better of you, click 'block all communication from this user' after opening the chat window. I don't know why you are getting targeted specifically now...I think their targets are random.

You should have a privacy setting on Steam which asks if you want person x conversation box to open, which you can choose yes or no.

We get 3 or 4 of these people coming into the HL2.net Steam Community chat room daily spamming similar phishing sites. If curiosity gets the better of you, click 'block all communication from this user' after opening the chat window. I don't know why you are getting targeted specifically now...I think their targets are random.

Better yet, be sure to click the 'Report Violation->User misconduct' in their Steam profile and let Valve handle them.

Better yet, be sure to click the 'Report Violation->User misconduct' in their Steam profile and let Valve handle them.

Do Valve acutally do anything about that? Because i and several others reported this guy and Valve never took any action against him. How can they without proof.

Do Valve acutally do anything about that? Because i and several others reported this guy and Valve never took any action against him. How can they without proof.

If enough users report him Valve will take action for sure.

Back