HDR back in HL2!! \o/ \o/ \o/

Kouler

Tank
Reaction score
If you watch the new CS-Source footage (the one in German) it shows a room with little arched windows everywhere. That looks like HDR to me the way the light shines through it. :bounce: :cat: :imu: :cheers: :cool:

THATS GREAT!! Now someone tell me what HDR is and ill be really happy!!!!

Yeah, or it could be an imitation of HDR. If you look at one of those screenshots that they released some time ago where there's a Phoenix Connection model, there's the sun and it's HDRed.

This should really go in Spec... I believe that HDR was never pulled :S

:hmph: Haven't seen any new CS:S footage, any links please?

HDR = High Dynamic Range
HDRR/L = Rendering/Lighting

Anyhow, we've seen NO HDR in either CS:S or HL2. It's not enabled, what you see in the tunnels in dust is not HDR.

yea, that's what i said ;)

(sai feels like and idiot) :(

Dont forget HRDI - High Dynamic Range Imaging, used in movies such as Star Wars II

HDR is just a way of adding realistic *looking* lighting effects.

Coolhead2100 said:
Dont forget HRDI - High Dynamic Range Imaging, used in movies such as Star Wars II

HDR is just a way of adding realistic *looking* lighting effects.

oh crap, that's what I meant by HDRL, I just made up a new acrnoym/lighting technique

/me whistles

/me coughs

Uhm, I meant.. HDRI :)

bah, who cares? :)

So many things are more important - like the guns sounding right when you shoot them \o/

Was this conclusion reached from watching a shaky cam video? If so, HDR wasn't enabled. :rolleyes:

We've been through this HDR fiasco before with the E3 2K4 footage. People thought HDR was enabled in the game even though it wasn't.

It's cute when people don't know what something is and declare it to be present.

I don't think that that's HDR, it's just like a dynamic glow effect in my opinion.

Please find me where the said HDR was not going to be in HL2? I have looked everywhere and the most I could find was "IF for some reason it doesn't get in by release, it will be added shortly after".

Firstly, I think that kind of effect can be achieved without the use of HDR. In that case it's made with a simpler lighting technique. Of course, it can be done with the implementation of HDR also. So it could be anything really.

Having said that, I hope they put HDR in the game for release, or in on of the first updates via steam. I recall reading an interview with Gabe last year where he was asked what things he thought would've been cool to put in the game but they didn't have the time to implement. He said that HDR was one of those things.

Now, I don't know if he meant they didn't implement HDR at all or if they did put HDR in the game, but not fully (only the kinds of effects that were seen in the HDR demo). Also, after the delay, they may well have had the time to put it in the game... after all, the HDR Source video shows the effects to be pretty much working correctly, so there would be no reason for Valve not to put it. Plus, after a year's delay, the community's hardware tends to be a bit better, so I guess now a considerable portion of us would be able to play HL2 with max effects, HDR, AF and AA on. So I hope they get it in, I think it's one of the things that makes the graphics look really really better.

Sorry to dissapoint guys but by the looks of it on that video its nothing more than a variation of glow sprites. Other than the DX9 bink there's been no real sight of HDR or any of the fancy shader effects beyond the basics seen the other year in the first E3 vids, in any of the video's since then.

I think its safe to say its being geared to the low end market and to hell with all those who bought decent cards. Shoulda kept your geforce4mx's as thats what its turning out to be made for*

*unless someone at Valve proves this isn't the case, but thats about as likely as a solid release date :p

Back