Head/body modelling technique discussion thread

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
This thread is for discussing tefchniqued used to model organic things, specifically bodies

I used to box model (used to,, lol I've only been modelling for 5 months) to make heads, but I've been talking to a guy who was the lead mo-cap, and maya guru at EA and he told me that when he models heads, he uses a stiching technique where you basically start with one polygon and keep appending to it (in maya using the append to poly tool)

I've almost finished one full model and started on a highpoly head with this method and despite the initial difficulties in getting used to this method I've really begun to enjoy modelling this way,,

anyone else have other methods of modelling heads/bodies that differs from this method?

also what are your opinions on box modelling vs knitting vs some other kind of modelling technique?

I've also been told that when you model a head your mesh must look like a spiderweb in order for facial animation to be as simple as possible... I'm currently making a spiderweb type mesh with the head I'm working on,, I'll post some pics in the future when it starts to look like something

yeah i did a high poly head using your 'stitching' method. basically starting with one vertice and extruding the edges around the basic shape of the head. being my first head ( although straight out of a tutorial ) i was quite impressed with the result. ive never tried box modelling, i wouldnt know where to start and i think itd be an ugly mesh in the end. ive heard from another person that 'stitching' at first may seem long winded, but after a while you get faster, and eventually it become quicker than box modelling and you finish with a cleaner mesh.

with bodies, im not as experienced, i havnt finished a full body yet, but ive had a few tries, getting stuck on the muscle forms and stomach area :(. and it doesnt help i have to look at Ichis first ( yeah right :p ) player model and give crits...:dozey:.

;)

heh I remember when ya'll was saying that method was too much trouble when I was saying you should give it a go. See, I was right, told you it was a good method :p

I must have not been there when you suggested it

so fen, you think knitting is the best way too?

I managed to do a model of the thing which I expected to be around 1800 quads,, it ended up being around 400 quads,, so yeah I like knitting/stitching :D

Shinobi said:
I must have not been there when you suggested it

so fen, you think knitting is the best way too?

I managed to do a model of the thing which I expected to be around 1800 quads,, it ended up being around 400 quads,, so yeah I like knitting/stitching :D
I prefer the terms point by point or polygon modeling. Knitting and Stitching sounds a bit, well, yeah :)

what's your opinion on the spiderweb head modelling technique? think it makes that much of a difference when animating?

Shinobi said:
what's your opinion on the spiderweb head modelling technique? think it makes that much of a difference when animating?
Well if your animating a head you want the polygons to "flow" along the shape of the head/face, muscles, so when you move the mouth, eyes, nose, cheeks and so on, there's no tearing or popping and creases remain smooth, thats why modeling point by point or poly by poly is best because your completely in control over the model.

Hmm, I know what you're talking about, I saw a great tutorial for that a while back... It did seem very complicated and time consuming, I thought..
Guess I'll just have to try it.

If anyone knows of any tuts (stitching, point by point method), please let me know, otherwise I'll just have to fool around, I guess (couldn't find any good tuts myself).

I use the stitching method sometimes :), using a few templates help indefinately, imagination and understanding of shape also help. Making sure extruded polygon faces are shaped roughly on your low polygon model to the shape of the sockets, cheeks, nose, and mouth ready for further manipulation with insetting and extruding. But Definately id say most importantly is a quality template/templates.

Seriously, expecting to create a perfect head of any kind with a scanned drawing from several views of your own design, or other peoples, is going to be far more accurate and have more pleasing results. trying to make it up as you go along is tough. and a few hundred attempts are probably needed to even get close to anything you might be thinking of,

near as damit, :) or using a solid polygon object shaping from the middle and extruding and shaping outward..

I pretty much did it like that only I had more emphasis on the facial features (eyes, nose and mouth)

and yeah reference pictures are pretty much essential,, once you realise this, you also realise that you need to have good drawing talent to truelly model well

Modelling bodies, I usually use side and front references, begine with a cylinder about 8 sided, and get the basic form in. Then you go in and cut the peaks and valleys that really make the model pop, and I almost always have done heads the poly by poly way, its just easier for me.

Back