HELP again! Black screen on HL, I and II!

XenoBuzz

Reaction score
Hey all,

Deeply hoping one of you digital rangers will have some suggestions for how to solve this issue.

I bought the DVD version of HL2 a few years ago and played it quite a few times without any problems. Although I wasn't so keen on the majority of the action consisting of urban warfare instead of more puzzle solving and exploration as in the original.

Despite that, I wanted to check out Episodes I and II. I bought them a couple weeks ago and had no problems downloading, installing or running them. I also tried the Unreal Tournament 3 demo, no probs. I got Lost Coast when it was first released and it also played fine. Encouraged by that, I also downloaded Source and Deathmatch: Source.

In my first game of Deathmatch: Source I played for a few minutes until (I think) all the other players switched to a new map and the current game quit and I was back to my desktop.

HOWEVER, after that all my Steam games load to a black screen. I can tell that the game is running because I can move the mouse around and hear the highlight noise for the menu buttons.

Neither rebooting the game or comp worked. I deleted Source and Deathmatch: Source (and Unreal Tournament 3 because it didn't interest me) and that didn't work (also rebooted after deletion). Looked online for solutions but couldn't find anything except something about a DirectX button which I don't seem to have with my version of the program (I have DirectX 10).

My PC specs:

Intel 2 Duo
Vista SP2
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

I've checked that all my sound, video and monitor drivers are up to date and have made no software or hardware changes of any kind. I don't mess with my comp if it's workin'!

I gratefully look forward to your assistance!

Dave S.

Back