Help.

Reaction score
I have my C drive partitioned to only 10 gigs. I put all of my data and settings in the other partitions. It is about 8.4 gigs full. The new BF2 patch assumes that my C drive is my whole hd, and sees that it doesn't have the 3 gigs needed to unpack (or whatever it does) to C. I have deleted everything I can think of that I don't need, but it's simply not enough.

I'm thinking of doing something about program files. Is there a way I should go about compressing some its contents? Or will that completely ruin my settings? There are programs out there that can supposedly move the contents of program files while preserving the settings and the registry, like this one, but I've read that some of them have horrendous results. It's really frustrating, because all I want to do is move the files, install the patch, and then move them back.

Tech gurus, save me.

I wouldn't trust one of thoes prog's, cause they're bound to screw something up.

The bf2 patch won't let you unpack on another drive? interesting...

you might have luck with either:
repartitioning your drive
uninstalling a bunch of stuff
using the windows compression system

Find where the patch downloaded to and move it. Since it most likely got downloaded to the C drive it will unpack there then move so move the patch then un pack.

I had the same problem, however I got round it by deleting junk. . . it's a major flaw in the BF2 patch.
My Windows is installed to the K: partition and BF2 to the L: partition. I guess your gonna have to move some big folders away, patch up BF2, and put back all the big folders. It's the only solution I can think of

furiousV said:
My Windows is installed to the K: partition and BF2 to the L: partition. I guess your gonna have to move some big folders away, patch up BF2, and put back all the big folders. It's the only solution I can think of

Problem is, the 'big folders' are Documents and settings and Program files. There's no single file or folder within them that contains a large file; it's just the sheer number of programs and files that fills the folders up.

Since it most likely got downloaded to the C drive it will unpack there then move so move the patch then un pack.
I have BF2 on E partition, and I downloaded the patch to it also. I tried moving the patch to an old FAT32 hd, but still no luck. The game is absolutely convinced that C is my whole hd.

Another thing to try is to move your Temp folder somewhere else:
Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced, Environment Variables, and edit the TEMP and TMP options. Theres the ones for User and the ones for System.

The BF2 patch program is probably extracting files to the temp folders, which will most likely be on the C: partition - the same as your OS.

Well, I seem to have fixed it. It involved moving a lot of files in safe mode, installing the patch, then moving them back. So far so good; nothing has screwed up. The whole process took a very long time, however.

Back