Reaction score
Did you check this E-mail lately?
Couse I didn't get any replies from you guys.... :|

Valve don't reply to emails sent to that address :)

*If* what I hear among the forums is true, then this is the BIGGEST mistake VALVe has ever made in it's history... I just hope it's not true - it'd be better for them to really have a hacker who got in and stole the sc&misc. If not, then I don't really believe that many people will continue to buy soft created by liars. However, I don't think that we will ever know the truth - I don't think that afterwards VALVe will 'go clean'. I don't mind delaying the release of a game - if it's supposed to be good, it may need more time. But waging a IIIrd World War around it ... baad, dudes, baaaaaaad. I'm sure that if this is just some crap made up by the VALVe team to cover their ass, it'll surely get out of their hand quick, and a REAL hacker will get into their system to find out what REALLY is going on. And *then* - R.I.P. VALVe's authorit&respect.

That's what I want to say.

You send them anything you know, sites letting you download the beta, conversations you hear, irc servers, channels, urls, tid bits of information.

They go through it, research it, decide what's crap and what's useful and use it to peice together some sort of picture of what happened :)

and then when they know "what has gone on" what can you do?

I for one think this is just reactive foot-jerking.

The reality is that if the cracker was any good, then its going to be impossible to ever catch anyone or even see how it was done - using this method.

Most ISPs / public proxies will delete their logs (and if you have ever tried chasing down a cracker you will know that it takes MONTHS to get user info from a ISP in another country) and all this information will be useless.

Im not sure if anyone related to this will even read this, but. If you want to catch the villian before he releases the full shabang or additional content, then you need to create a network of people "in the know" share knowledge and act on "What will we do now" - not "how did they do it?".

If you want the answer, heres how they did it

IF SMART --> created chain of public proxies/zombies etc.
Scanned the network
Enumerated the network
Penetrated the network
Pilfered the network
IF SMART --> Did some housekeeping
Left the system.

probably then did some housekeeping on whatever routes they used.

Im not trying to be a clever sod, just trying to Strongly emphasise that I agree with the chap who thinks that they should be responding.

Asking any internet community for help is just pointless anyway, because its far to diverse not to have your time wasted.

My 2 cents

MY RANT >>> while im at it I may as well finish

And for all those shouting at Valve saying "its your fault, why cant you have a secure network, are you stupid etc etc" - stop talking of what you dont understand.

NO NETWORK / COMPUTER SYSTEM is 100% secure, there is ALWAYS a way in. ALWAYS. The fault lies with the scum that attacked them, not the developer.

This is a sad time for me, as we see the 1st generation of children who grew up with the internetwork abuse so much of it and others. The internet used to be full of people who wanted to take time to share knowledge and help new people . Its now turned into a world where children gloat at others who havent got their knowledge and people who wish to replace true life achievements with some bogus social status, by destroying communties and businesses, just as this cracker has.

the thief will be caught, they'll want to brag about it eventually, or they'll slip up at some point, maybe not for a while but it'll happen eventually

Back