HEY PLAY THIS GAME. IT'S FREE AND NOT HORRIBLE.

Higlac

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey, I'm slightly intoxicated. You should all try out League of Legends. It's free(ish), it's fun, and penny arcade even made a comic about it.

Blah blah, Game is a dota clone, persistent stats and bonuses based on experience. Try the damn thing, play games with other .netters.

Dat hl2.net player list:

Higlac89
ThrowinShapes - Schall
Loopdeswoop - Letters
Rico The Mad - Rico, Happy now?
Voiper - Viperidae, even though he didn't post his username. He's probably too busy kicking ass to play with us scrubs though.
Numberslaands - Numbers
Endyo - Starbob
Hazar

No it's a terrible game based on a bad custom map with a terrible community.

Started playing last week, shit's cash.

Name: ThowinShapes

Add me, I'll play with you.

No it's a terrible game based on a bad custom map with a terrible community.

True.

Never cared for DOTA-esque games, mainly because I sucked and had no chance of getting better because the entire community of those games dedicated their existence to flaming players on both sides.

I've been playing this a bunch lately... I'm level 14 and about to graduate from coop vs. bots to playing normal games I think. My summoner name is Loopdeswoop if anyone wants to play!

No it's a terrible game based on a custom map with a terrible community.
Pretty much. I actually enjoyed and was quite addicted to DotA back in the day. As it is now it's too limited by the platform and the spinoffs are much better...LOL being the worst though.
I was excited for Dota2 for a while but I'm done playing those kinds of games.

I enjoy Heroes of Newerth and am looking forward to DotA 2 because they are gud competitive online gaems.

Community is ballsack, though.

I might get into DOTA2 if I can start early enough that people don't know the classes(?) yet and I don't just get continually flamed while trying to figure it out.
I was 2 months late on LoL and could never get into it for that reason

I might get into DOTA2 if I can start early enough that people don't know the classes(?) yet and I don't just get continually flamed while trying to figure it out.
I was 2 months late on LoL and could never get into it for that reason

Well, I don't think that's going to happen to be truthful. Most heroes will pass from DotA to DotA 2 and I'd be certain most players would have the gist of it.

Now that I think about it, I know the community is ass, but I find it funny how people don't expect to get flamed if they start the game, enter a match and get abused because they are shit. Tell me a team based RTS where this is not the case? Do you honestly expect to hop into Starcraft or Company of Heroes with no experience, lose the game for your team and not expect a backlash? I don't think so. You gotta do your homework first. The issue for DotA based games is that it's hard to do that. Whilst RTSes offer you a singleplayer training ground or skirmishes that luxury isn't exactly there for these types of games. You have to look up tactics, watch some gameplay videos and if the game has a training mode, go in there to get the feel for at least 2 or 3 heroes before you head into the multiplayer arena. Try some "Beginner's Only" games and ascend from there. I lost many a time before I started to get a feel for the game, but that's precisely how it is for most games in the genre. Honestly though, when everything starts to make sense in your head and you start snagging kills, the game is loads of fun and you get a great sense of achievement.

You can't expect the community to be the greatest. It's a free RTS, what are you expecting from it. There's not near as much flaming on LoL, since it uses a matchmaking system to keep the individual players and the teams as even in skill level as possible.

That being said, I almost never play a game without having at least one or two competent friends with me.

League of Legends isn't too bad. Nothing too special. It's annoyingly frustrating sometimes how teams are stacked and how little anyone can do about it. I actually like Monday Night Combat (though I haven't played it in a long time) because of the DOTA style gameplay with shooterishness mixed in. The new map is a horrible waste of time, but the game itself is a pretty well made and fairly innovative.

I've been playing this a bunch lately... I'm level 14 and about to graduate from coop vs. bots to playing normal games I think. My summoner name is Loopdeswoop if anyone wants to play!

When we starting playing bots were not even an option. We are now level 30 and beginning to play ranked games. As the PvP places you against players of a similar level and players are a lot (and I mean a lot) better than bots, good luck to you starting at level 14.

And DOTA 2 looks good, but until that's released I see League as a happy waiting station.

I'll be on later tonight, around 8pm central time. We'll have to get a hl2.net game going.

Is everyone on the U.S. servers?

I just got into LoL a couple of weeks ago. Never liked DoTA games, but I'm warming up to this game. Definitely the worst online community I've ever been a part of though (not that I have been in many). You dont even have to be terrible to get flamed, many people will blame their own failures to tower dive or gank on a team that "wouldn't back them up".

I am disappointed my name is not on that list, nubcakes.

I guess I could play with you scrubs... I was never all that great but decent with the right character. I'll have to go find out what my username is again though since it's been months since I played.

Gave this a go, and I found it actually quite fun.

I've played DOTA and DOTA-esque games a bit before, and I suppose that's why I got 14 kills and 0 deaths on my first game with all human players lol.

The people.... well they certainly don't take losing very well though.

My ID is Numberslaands on the US servers, though you might experience horrific ping playing with me, if you ever wished to do so.

I've played DOTA and DOTA-esque games a bit before, and I suppose that's why I got 14 kills and 0 deaths on my first game with all human players lol.

Numbers, as a Korean you're automatically not allowed to gloat over your skills playing any RTS, or any game derived thereof. It's like a professional golfer gloating over winning a minigolf competition against five year olds.

Starcraft/RTS skills do not translate to MOBAs, sorry. Previous DOTA and other minigame experience would.

Starcraft/RTS skills do not translate to MOBAs, sorry. Previous DOTA and other minigame experience would.

Questionistical - How does fast paced precision movement of isometric characters and using coordinated keyboard skill bindings NOT directly translate to League of Legends? Same basic principles and gameplay. The difference lies in overall strategy and RPG equipable elements. I mean it was borne from RTS games...

...sorry

Added Numbers to the list.

We need to set up a time when we can get everyone in on a game. Also need some kind of voice chat system, either vent, mumble, or steam. I'd prefer not to use steam.

My name on there is Endyo. Let me know when you do that thing you do with the people that do this thing we're talking about and I'll come along and stink up your team.

Normally I play about 8:00ish central time. Rico and Viper are on then sometimes.

so how this works? like the other that you download and play? only paying for special items right?

also the dam thing looks too warcraft/blizzardy,I will give it a try just cuz you play and I want to play whit da hl2.netters :L

so how this works? like the other that you download and play? only paying for special items right?

also the dam thing looks too warcraft/blizzardy,I will give it a try just cuz you play and I want to play whit da hl2.netters :L

You'll feel like they ripped it straight out of Warcraft 3. Doesn't make it less interesting though. I only stopped playing because Monday Night Combat was all over my face and a solid chain of quality games have occupied my time since.

Been playing since beta too, summoner name is Hazar. It's one of the few games I've played for a long time since you can just play a ~40 min game and be done.

Questionistical - How does fast paced precision movement of isometric characters and using coordinated keyboard skill bindings NOT directly translate to League of Legends?
Nope. Being the best Company of Heroes player in the world will not translate at all to MOBA skills. Clicking units around an isometric space? OK, sure, but that's like saying being used to the pov in FPS games will prepare you for first person racing games.

Being the best WC3 player in the world? I guess that would help for the interface and the stats system. Still wouldn't prepare you for 80% of the game mechanics.

Same basic principles and gameplay.
tHtcu.jpg

I honestly don't know what you've been playing. If you've played some high end Warcraft 3 micromanaging your hero, you have the core competency for LoL. I don't even know how one could get the chain of thought to put the two on completely separate types of gameplay. They LOOK the same, CONTROL the same, VISION is the same, ATTACKS are the same. The only differences is the basic hotkey control and overall strategy. I feel like I'm being trolled this is so crazy...

Yeah, it's kinda like micro with 1 unit instead of a dozen and with multiple skills.

I need to work on my timng, though. I keep missing kills with only a fraction of the enemy's health left.

I think I'm getting better at this lol.

fvbsxj.jpg

Now that I'm playing more regularly, I should add you guys.

Yeah, I know I'm playing with all the newbs like myself.

Yeah I like this game because I never played DOTA, I like the art direction, and the gameplay is hard but you can learn how to play it. It's not hard like your StarCraft RTS but it's fun. I'm hool10 as usual. Also Mordekaiser-on-a-roll is the best hero ever:
mordekaiser1_1.jpg

Doesn't use mana but gains it so he just barrel rolls through stuff. He is less forgiving if you Leeroy too much or get too close to a tower.

Yeah I like this game because I never played DOTA, I like the art direction, and the gameplay is hard but you can learn how to play it. It's not hard like your StarCraft RTS but it's fun. I'm hool10 as usual. Also Mordekaiser-on-a-roll is the best hero ever:
mordekaiser1_1.jpg

Doesn't use mana but gains it so he just barrel rolls through stuff. He is less forgiving if you Leeroy too much or get too close to a tower.

Oh yeah he's definitely one of my favorites. I played him the best of any of the heroes I tired.

I like my selection of champions, though I'm only truly competent with three of them. Sona, Shen, and Mundo ftw.

Nice game we just had :D

I have to go travel 150km to get home though, and I thought I better start now. :eek:

Back