HITACHI Deskstar HD32000

VirusType2

Reaction score
EDIT: never mind. The reviews are terrifying, talking about hearing it other rooms and shit. I'm getting something else.

I want a 2TB HDD drive to put my TV shows on (because right now, the TV shows have completely taken over my gaming HDD). So, it's not mission critical data, but still, I'd really not be happy if I lost 2 terabytes of TV shows.

Anyone have this bitch?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145276

+ $20 mail in rebate

Reviews consistently indicate it is loud and hot. Not too worried about heat, since I have drive fans. Still, that heat will be cycled in my case and out the back, and into my room...

People say the seek is really loud. Now, seeking is: head moving to the right place to read or write; so, I'm thinking once I start a TV show, it will be relatively quiet while reading. ???

The noise is a big factor for me. I don't mind as much if it's loud while searching, but I don't want it to be loud while watching a show.

What do you think? Spend $20 or $40 more for a different one?

It's not for nothing that they've always been known as "Deathstars"...

Get this.
I heard lots of good experiences with Samsung Spinpoint F1/2/3's(including my own).
This ecogreen editions are slightly slower than the non-ecogreen ones, but for storing multimedia it should be more than enough. Also, quiet as hell.

Yeah, thanks. I've got that one in the basket. I've actually had my eye on it for several months. I'm going to get it on sale somewhere else probably.

A lot of people are weary of the 1.5/2TB drives. At the beginning they were more failure prone. Maybe they got pushed to market too quick (covered all brands). Maybe that is why most are 5400rpm?
But at the same time people are buying them and most do not have issues at all. It is probably just a slight rise in the failure rate enough to get the complaints on msg boards.

Obviously you will want to get one with less platters for less heat/noise and probably more reliability.
The paranoid are going with 2 1tb drives. (would be more noisy than a single 2tb drive)

Yeah, I have been thinking all the same things. I have been watching these 2TB drives for a long time.

It's tempting to get a Samsung F3; those things are awesome 1TB drives. But that's not the application I need right now. I need the most space, and you can't beat the price per GB for those 2TB drives. But just as important is the amount of HDD slots I have. My smallest drive in this computer is 750 GB and so a 1TB drive to replace it doesn't do a whole lot. I could put one in an external drive enclosure (thus gaining a full TB).

Still, I think my best bet is to get something massive; otherwise I'll be needing to buy another drive shortly down the road.

Also considering the Samsung F3 is nearly a year old, I think. Knowing my luck, if I got the F3, a newer faster 1TB drive would come out shortly after, and so I'd want to get it for my OS or my games, and the F3 would just end up as a storage drive anyway!

I've never trusted anything but WD myself. I've had a Samsung crap out on me after a couple months, but it was just one, so I suppose that's largely circumstantial.

I keep seeing the thread title as Dekstar.
fffffff

Just thought I'd mention that.

Back