HL2 and Forum FAQ

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still in process of writing up...

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about Half-Life 2. Have you got a question that needs answering? Contact us here and we will add it to the list.

Q: Who is developing Half-Life 2?

A: Valve software are the developers of Half-Life 2 as well as the original Half-Life. For information about them visit www.valvesoftware.com.

Q: Is Activision publishing Half-Life 2?

A: No the publisher of Half-Life 2 is Sierra Entertainment.

Q: When will Half-Life 2 be released?

A: The current release date set is 30th September 2003 (worldwide).

Q: Will Team Fortress 2 be included with Half-Life 2?

A: No, it won't be included.

Q: When will the Half-Life 2 demo be released?

A: There will be a demo released but like the original Half-Life, Valve currently has no plans to release it before the game ships to stores.

Q: Can I play Counter-Strike with Half-Life 2?

A: No the Half-Life 2 engine is completely different and it is not compatible.

Q: Will Half-Life 2 be shown at E3 and when does it start?

A: Half-Life 2 will be shown at E3 in ATI's booth. It starts May 14th to May 16th.

Q: What kind of PC specifications will I need to run HL2?

A: You need at least a Pentium 700Mhz and a DX6-class video card. Ideally we recommend a Pentium 2Ghz and Geforce 4 for the best visuals.

Q: Will Gordon Freeman still have his crowbar?

A: Yes the Half-Life icon remains in the sequel.

Q: Roughly how long will the game last?

A: The game is split into 12 chapters each lasting around 3-4 hours which is roughly around 36 hours worth of game time in all.

Q: Will the characters from the original game return?

A: Yes everyone from the security guard to the G-Man return for the sequel with all the same voice actors and the original story writer, Marc Laidlaw.

Q: Is there a new playable character called Alyx?

There is a new character named Alyx who is the daughter of a scientist from the original game, but you are only able to play as Gordon Freeman.

Q: What kind of locations will you play in? Do you return to Xen?

A: The gameplay is based on Earth with a large number of different locations such as City 17, a harbor, a jail, the suburbs, a dried up ocean, and an icebreaker ship. You do not return to Xen.

Q: Will there be a map editor for making Half-Life 2 maps?

A: An upgraded Hammer editor should ship with the game, but instead of just editing maps it's now described as a "complete development environment" for maps, mods, and more.

Q: When will the SDK be released?

A: Shortly before the release of Half-Life 2.

Q: Can I play Natural Selection and Day of Defeat with HL2?

A: No. The DoD and NS teams have no plans on porting their games to HL2 or using the source engine.

Q: Will my computer be able to run Half-life 2????!

A: Come closer to my crowbar.....

had to add this one.

Q. Will there be a Counter-Strike 2 mod?

A. Its almost certain there will be a Counter-Strike 2 but it is unliky that it will be a mod for Half-Life 2. Its more probable that Counter-Strike 2 will be a packaged product that you have to buy in stores or through steam.

I just heard this asked in the irc channel.

Q. Will you hear Gordon talk in Half-Life 2?

No you will not hear Gordon speak. Like the first game half-Life 2 has been designed to give you the immersive feeling that you are playing as Gordon during the game. As gabe newell has said in many interviews 'You are Gordon Freeman'.

Also why the E3 question? Thats been and gone!

Sooo this makes a fewer noob topics... Thanks Munro !!

thanks Munro, youve saved alot of nubs out there takin up some forum space :D

I really can get over thats its gonna be 30+ gameplay, how cool!!!

DOOM III
piss.gif

Sooo this makes a fewer noob topics... Thanks Munro !!

LOL you still know that the topics are going to come up, But at least now we have a place to send the Uninformed..!:dozey:

Munro, you should make this a sticky so it stays at the top, that way more people will read it

Interesting. Could someone please direct me to where anyone from Valve has said anything about TF2 since HL2 was announced other than "we'll talk about that later." I'de like to know where that info came from because several respected websites and magazine previews were speculating about if valve will release TF2 as a free addon to HL2 like they did with TFC.

I'm not trying to open up a debate here just wondering how Munro knows...

-Straylight

I've got a question, I've heard somewhere that if you have Steam, you will be able to pay for HL2 online and download it through Steam, before it is released on the shelves. Is this true? Or just a rumour?

Q: Is Halflife 2 better then Doom 3?

A: It all depends on your opinion of a good game.

Originally posted by |MaTT|
had to add this one.

Q. Will there be a Counter-Strike 2 mod?

A. Its almost certain there will be a Counter-Strike 2 but it is unliky that it will be a mod for Half-Life 2. Its more probable that Counter-Strike 2 will be a packaged product that you have to buy in stores or through steam.

I just heard this asked in the irc channel.

Q. Will you hear Gordon talk in Half-Life 2?

No you will not hear Gordon speak. Like the first game half-Life 2 has been designed to give you the immersive feeling that you are playing as Gordon during the game. As gabe newell has said in many interviews 'You are Gordon Freeman'.

Also why the E3 question? Thats been and gone!
man.. CS won't relaly do anygood with the source engine.

Here's another useful Q&A that'll be commonly asked by new members.

Q: Will there be a collectors or limited edition boxes of Half Life 2?

A: Yes, Half-Life 2 will have several collectible game boxes when it comes out, with images of Freeman, the G-Man, the new character Alyx and a special silver box that will apparently be a limited edition with some as yet unrevealed special items. Source & Box shots

|
-|
--|
---|
----|
-----|
------|
-------|
--------|
---------|
---|
---|