HL2 and the recommended 2,4 GHz

M

Muhwi

Is this recommendation based on an Intel 2,4 GHz cpu? What I mean is that would an AthlonXP at 2400+ meet the recommendated processing power as well since it is quite nearly as powerful as the Pentium? I'm currently about to get a 2600+XP cpu (which is as much as my mobo supports) and I was just woundering will that meet the recommendation or will I have to spare quite a bit more money to get a new mobo, cpu and ddr?

I currently have a 1700+ and a Radeon 9600XT with which I'm able to run CSS with fps of over 30 with all details on, slide shows occure with lots of flying objects (clearly cpu/physics calculation related, no?). How much would my performance be boosted with a 2600+?

You're right. A 2800+ performs many more instructions/clock cycle than a P2.4. So no, they're not equivalant :) And yes, an Athlon XP 2400+ should run the game at a speed more or less the same as a 2.4ghz P4.

gesto21 said:
You're right. A 2800+ performs many more instructions/clock cycle than a P2.4. So no, they're not equivalant :) And yes, an Athlon XP 2400+ should run the game at a speed more or less the same as a 2.4ghz P4.

Oh thank you for correcting the situation.
I would have had to do something drastic.

Being an electronics student I know exactly how thier naming convention works and why an athlon 2400 is equivalent to a pentium 2.4ghz
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_3472_1353^4785,00.html

mabey not in raw gigahertz but an AMD clocks much slower than an intel; even still thye are usualy a better cpu for gaming power than the pentium 4 seris but again a pentium 4 at 3.4 gigahertz is better than a 2800 like I got.

I'm not quite sure but i would like to find out if a 2800 is the gaming equivelent to a 2.8, or 2400 to 2.4? Cause my 2800 clocks at 2.08 ghz and even though it bottle necks my VPU I still want to max out the settings for this game. But im pretty sure that an intel at 2.4 will suck compared to the 2400 if its the amd equivelent to a 2.4 but that I still don't know.

Any one know amd well, help us out?

Why even ask the question if you're already happily running CS:Source.

It beggars belief, it does.

Muhwi said:
Is this recommendation based on an Intel 2,4 GHz cpu? What I mean is that would an AthlonXP at 2400+ meet the recommendated processing power as well since it is quite nearly as powerful as the Pentium? I'm currently about to get a 2600+XP cpu (which is as much as my mobo supports) and I was just woundering will that meet the recommendation or will I have to spare quite a bit more money to get a new mobo, cpu and ddr?

I currently have a 1700+ and a Radeon 9600XT with which I'm able to run CSS with fps of over 30 with all details on, slide shows occure with lots of flying objects (clearly cpu/physics calculation related, no?). How much would my performance be boosted with a 2600+?
a amd 2400+ runs @ 2 ghz

wse_jack said:
mabey not in raw gigahertz but an AMD clocks much slower than an intel; even still thye are usualy a better cpu for gaming power than the pentium 4 seris but again a pentium 4 at 3.4 gigahertz is better than a 2800 like I got.

I'm not quite sure but i would like to find out if a 2800 is the gaming equivelent to a 2.8, or 2400 to 2.4? Cause my 2800 clocks at 2.08 ghz and even though it bottle necks my VPU I still want to max out the settings for this game. But im pretty sure that an intel at 2.4 will suck compared to the 2400 if its the amd equivelent to a 2.4 but that I still don't know.

Any one know amd well, help us out?
It's pretty easy:
AMD uses time on making the processor more efficient at the same clock(Their best processor is still clocked at 2,6GHz, and kicks the hell out of a 3.8GHz Prescott)
Intel doesn't.

FISKER_Q said:
It's pretty easy:
AMD uses time on making the processor more efficient at the same clock(Their best processor is still clocked at 2,6GHz, and kicks the hell out of a 3.8GHz Prescott)
Intel doesn't.
hey do you know what the best AMD out there is , i dont want a amd64 tho as im not intersted untill games start suporting it more,
i was thinking about geting the amd 3400+ in 3 months as im building a new pc

junglespider said:
hey do you know what the best AMD out there is , i dont want a amd64 tho as im not intersted untill games start suporting it more,
i was thinking about geting the amd 3400+ in 3 months as im building a new pc
ask in 3 months :p

There might've been release 1 or 2 new amd cpu's in that period.

FISKER_Q said:
ask in 3 months :p

There might've been release 1 or 2 new amd cpu's in that period.
hehhe yeah lol , i thort about that in a post i made about gfx cards just dint think about cpu

If you're getting a new PC, don't get outdated technology. Regardless if games or apps support 64-bit instructions when you get it, it's still a more powerful processor then the AthlonXPs running in 32-bit mode.

Gotter said:
If you're getting a new PC, don't get outdated technology. Regardless if games or apps support 64-bit instructions when you get it, it's still a more powerful processor then the AthlonXPs running in 32-bit mode.

i know there more powerfull but theres just no point (in my case)in geting one just yet , 2 of my friends got them and when running games that dont suport 64bit seem to run more slugish then mine , im sure i read somewere that 64bit is not that great for games not sporting it , thats the only reason im wateing to buy amd64 bit
im not ripping the 64bit its just i dont want one yet

nah.... p4 owns you. I used to love AMD, but im telling you, for a gaming machine, p4. I have a 2.4c. My mate USED to have coincidentally a 2400XP. WE both had a ti4600 at the time, and a similar setup (51

nah.... p4 owns you. I used to love AMD, but im telling you, for a gaming machine, p4. I have a 2.4c. My mate USED to have coincidentally a 2400XP. WE both had a ti4600 at the time, and a similar setup (512mb ram etc) and well, mine out passed his on 3dMark2001 by around 1000points.

Now, i have my proc o/c to 3.06ghz, and my girfriends computer has an xp3000 (barton) and i have tried this lol, i put my GFX in her pute....she got like 12000 summat 3dmarks (2001 now) and well i got something like 14900...somwhere round there.

Its simple..theyre 2 very different procs... AMD is better for certain things because of the different "ways" it deals with instructions compared to the p4.

p4 owns you!

DavE0r said:
nah.... p4 owns you. I used to love AMD, but im telling you, for a gaming machine, p4. I have a 2.4c. My mate USED to have coincidentally a 2400XP. WE both had a ti4600 at the time, and a similar setup (512mb ram etc) and well, mine out passed his on 3dMark2001 by around 1000points.

Now, i have my proc o/c to 3.06ghz, and my girfriends computer has an xp3000 (barton) and i have tried this lol, i put my GFX in her pute....she got like 12000 summat 3dmarks (2001 now) and well i got something like 14900...somwhere round there.

Its simple..theyre 2 very different procs... AMD is better for certain things because of the different "ways" it deals with instructions compared to the p4.

p4 owns you!
Yeah, coz synthetic benchmarks are absolutely 100% representitive of real gaming :rolleyes:

DavE0r said:

p4 owns you!

isent a 3000 barton only a 2.16 GHz tho ??

I'm dumb when it comes to stuff like this, so I wanted to ask, what is the p4 equivalent of a amd athlon 64 processor 3700+, socket 754? and what one would work better in a gaming pc?

Heheh, I could see this Intel vs AMD thing happening. I would go for the 2600, you'd see a nice improvment with all your games, although remember your graphics card would probably be your next bottleneck, but both CPU and graphics card are quite on par. Get the CPU now enjoy it while you can and prepare for a whole new upgrade futher down the line when PCX and the 64bit CPUs arrive.

Back