HL2 Demo Today

Releasing a demo is good for everyone, period. Making a demo is comparatively easy for Valve, as they don't add extra maps, etc. - they take the existing maps and perhaps modify them somewhat, but generally, there's no large-scale creation effort. It's good for people who want to see how HL2 performs on their computers before they buy it - now anyone has the chance to test his hardware. It's good for ATI because it brings them more publicity (yes I don't like them, but it's good for them regardless). So if someone is upset that Valve released a demo instead of some other content, stop being egoistic. Valve is right to want to attract new customers and not only please the existing ones, besides, the game has only been out for a month, and in that time we already got HL2DM and a new map for CSS, all for free.

It played great.
It has the entire introduction level with barney.
and some Ravenholme, it ends when you finally meet father grigori.

Mr-Fusion said:
And you have a clear indication of how much money it would cost to make HL3 do you? Half-Life 1 cost around $5 million, Half-Life 2 around $40 million. Is it unreasonable to assume HL3 would cost more than both combined?

They won't need to develop a whole new engine for hl3. So I think it's safe to assume that that will knock off a reasonable amount of money.

Does this demo acturally add new maps or is it just a normal demo of the game? Why the hell would you wanna download a demo of a game you already have..silly

DeltaBlast said:
The demo installs nothing if you already have the full HL2installed.

Normally it would install steam and the (partial?) game files. If you have the full HL2, you already have both and thus it skips that during installation (in other words, it does absolutely nothing if you already have the full HL2).

But what's even worse, is that if you uninstall it and you have the full HL2 installed, it deletes the full HL2's content.

why the hell would you want the demo if ya got full? the demo is just the full with all the maps sep chapter 1 and chapter 6 riped out of it, took out some guns, took out multiplayer, and mod protected it! (yeah the demo is great, but only if you don't got hl2 yet! like me! as soon as i get hl2 on x-mas i am uninstalling the demo to leave room for the full!)

Back