HL2.EXE infected with TROJ_GENERIC.ADV

S

sadbo

Today when I try to run HL@ from Steam, my antivirus program tells me HL2.EXE is now infected with TROJ_GENERIC.ADV. Has anyone else seen this problem?

That means you have a virus. Buy or download anti-virus software and some anti-spyware protection too while you're at it. Update it to the latest virus definitions, run it, and it'll clean your system.

Yeah, I just updated my PC-Cillin anti-virus definitions today & that's when I started getting this message. I have deleted HL2 completely & then relaoded it, but I still get this message friom PC-Cillin - I wonder if PC-cillin is mistaking something in hl2.exe for a virus?

Have you tried to remove it with your anti-virus program? If not I would try getting another one. I don't see why it would see HL2 as a virus unless it was infected with one, and simply reinstalling HL2 wouldn't necessarily take care of the trojan. TROJ_GENERIC.EXE is definitely a virus and not a HL2 file.

I have also recently got this problem, it's a bitchy virus which gets under most of the antivirus's. You'll have to look into it more if you want to fix. I'm still looking.

Can you still run hl2 or is it blocking you from opening it?

Thanks Lefty - I deleted HL2, ran malwarebytes, redownloaded HL2 & now it works! Yes yekim - it would not load, but now it does again.........:)

A better question, why are you bumping a week old thread that had run it's course to everyone's satisfaction for a minor point?

Back