HL2.net, let's play Arma 2: Free

Vegeta897

Banned as all ****
Reaction score
http://www.arma2.com/free

Arma 2: Free is a free version of Arma 2 without the campaign or mod support. The graphics are also somewhat reduced. But, custom missions are supported and there are no other restrictions on the game or missing content. (Unless you're comparing it to Combined Operations which is what the hl2.net arma players have)

I and others have talked about this game countless times on the boards, and we've posted screenshots and videos of our game sessions on occasion. Please, do not continue to ignore this game because of your preconceived notions. 'Oh that game ain't for me, I'm not a milsimmer.' If you liked running around in a squad with friends in BF2, you will be blown away by this.

Many, but not enough, hl2.netters have joined in on the fun both in the past and the present:

Raziaar
Viperidae
Sliver
Krynn
Badhat
Morgs
Hokey
Acepilot
Lobster
Hectic Glenn
Frosted
ZombieTurtle
Dinnesch
Ren.182

These people aren't hardcore milsimmers or gun nuts. These people enjoy a genuine cooperative teamwork experience, in a highly immersive game environment. When I say 'genuine', I'm implying that no other FPS game boasting itself as featuring teamwork can come close to what Arma is like. The people who have played with us would agree.

So what this thread is for is to gather as many people as we can to have an Arma 2 session. Those of us who own the game can play vanilla Arma 2 with anyone who doesn't own the game. All you need to do is download:

I recommend this set of mirrors: http://www.multiupload.com/878RT4ZYVU

And please post in this thread what times and days would be best for you.

It would be nice if we could get this going within the next couple days, but we can resort to our usual tradition of the weekend.

Edit: And please contact me on Steam if you have any questions or concerns. I do have some advice for getting the game to run better, since some of the default graphics settings aren't very performance-friendly.

Do you know of any custom mission packs for vanilla? Because I probably don't have them, and I'll probably be hosting.

Actually, that huge mission pack I gave you is probably almost entirely vanilla.

I downloaded it yesterday, I'll play. Any time that fits around normal working hours works for me generally, depending on what I'm doing. Bearing in mind I'm in the UK.

Still need to figure out how to get my mic to work though. Damn Roccat Kave.

We usually play in American evenings, which is likely past midnight for you. Can that work for you? Maybe on the weekend?

Perhaps we could play in the afternoon, where it's UK evening, but then it's really late for the NZ players.

Cursed time zones!

Yeah, it would only really work on weekends - but that would be ok. :)

I downloaded it already too. Not sure what the best time is. Probably later at night or the weekend.

I'll download it now. I'm free on Mondays past 9pm and Tuesdays past 11-11:30 pm. Any other day of the week I am generally free at night (except maybe like some Friday and Saturday nights if I go out.)

Well, it looks like Saturday night EST is the best candidate so far. Hopefully you won't be going out, Escaep, but even if you do maybe you can get some playtime in before or after.

I've just figured out what's going on with my microphone...it's recording whatever sound is being output from the system, rather than taking input from the microphone. :S

You need to set your default recording device in windows to your microphone input.

Even stranger...testing the individual speakers in my soundcard control panel, all sounds to be normal except for left front, which echoes. Turn the microphone volume down...echo gone. So my mic is a muffled version of the left speaker. What the hell is that all about. :|

Are you sure it's not just your mic picking up that sound?

In the properties for your mic make sure you disabled the listening in the Listen tab.

fB74a.jpg

Yeah it's definitely not that, listening is off and it still picks up the speaker whether I mute the microphone or not. It doesn't pick up any other sound either, it's just the sound from that particular speaker which it picks up at a lower volume and at a slight echo.

I have no idea what the hell's going on with it to be fair, but it's annoying me now I can't figure it out. I just noticed the subwoofer in my headphones appears to be broken aswell...I never realised before but it's supposed to have one and it's not making any noise.

I'll play, sure. I never really knew I could have so much fun on a 50 cal.

I am up for more this weekend, it was a lot of fun.

Highlights were that crazy chopper crash followed by some guys trying to steal our Humvee.

Have any of you guys ever tried Warfare: Benny Edition? It's a bunch of custom warfare missions with a ton of tweaks and additions that result in an experience far superior to vanilla warfare. I've had a lot of fun playing it on LAN with my friends that only have the free version of ARMA 2. Here's the site if you guys are curious: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/warfare-be.

I heard about it but it never seemed like something I wanted to try. We could give it a go.

I'm up for Saturday, but EST midnight is a bit late for me(+1 GMT) as always. Why does the world have to be round? :(

No golf clap is big enough, yet when it comes to TV news, nothing surprises me.

Wow, I figured it was going to be just some ARMA II spliced in to actual footage, but they literally said that it was the "terrorist's own footage of 1988" and showed a full 30 second clip and said that "no one died in this attack". I mean, they even gave it a date! Good lord.

****ing lol at that footage, you can even see the AA truck glitching a little and bounce up for a second.

And rofl at your version Krynn. ****ing excellent.

I'm up for Saturday, but EST midnight is a bit late for me(+1 GMT) as always. Why does the world have to be round? :(
I didn't say EST midnight, I said EST evening, like around 7pm when we usually start, which is midnight GMT.

edit: Looks like the original video just got removed D:

I'm quite interested in playing this as well. I have a mic and everything. Best days for me are basically Friday and Saturday, if the games are going to be midnight GMT.

I'm quite interested in playing this as well. I have a mic and everything. Best days for me are basically Friday and Saturday, if the games are going to be midnight GMT.

They'd probably be around 02:00 GMT, since thats 9PM EST. Give or take a couple hours.

Should we try to set something up for this Saturday then? How many of you could make it (at some point during a probably 3+ hour long session) if we started at 9pm EST?

Me!

Everybody should get either Krynn or myself added to their friends list on steam so we can be in contact instead of relying on this thread.

n9kt0.png

Here's a (really shitty) chart of the hours (in GMT) that I've noticed people playing at usually. Red means possible, but only during long sessions/when the person didn't have anything to do the next day.

EST/PST/NZST ****s over Euro pretty harsh :/

I'm really available 24 hours a day unless there's a special time sensitive or scheduled matter IRL.

Keep in mind, we're bending our own availability to cover more people. One possible option is for the US-timezoners to start earlier to accommodate Euros, then keep going after they've left and the NZers come on.

I'll quite happily play games into the small hours of the morning, but I probably won't play if they're starting at 2AM.

I'm PST, but I don't have work or school or anything, so I can do whatever to accommodate people.

Honestly, on this coming Saturday, I can be ready to play as early as noon-time EST.

Okay, I think I'll just start up the server at 7pm EST, and see what happens.

Like I said, I can do it way earlier, but nobody said anything. If I know people will be around to play at noonish, then i'll gladly start it up then, but I'd rather not just be hanging around only to find out nobody is coming until later and waste part of the day that I could have used to play Flames of War :)

Back