HL2 Optimization

aeroripper

Tank
Reaction score
This is really more of a comparision but...

I can run Far Cry with everything maxed (minus AA and AF) and it runs real smooth but i also consider that Far Cry "isn't optimized that well" talking about the code.

Is Far Cry a approximation of what Hl2 is going to run like being a "next gen game" or will HL2 be even more power hungry than Far Cry is?

It just seems to me that HL2 will run better because valve has lots of people playtesting it and fixing a lot of minor things and the fact that its scaled back to even a dx7 card...

i'm just hoping that everything will be a lot more streamlined than it is in Far Cry Crytek engine...............

Specs:
WinXP Home
AMD 2400+@ 2.0ghz
1gig pc2300 333mhz ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 (ICEQ)
Western Digital 7200rpm HD

You shouldn't have any trouble..

HL2's optimization is confusing me, Gabe was saying that over 1.7 GHZ or something like that, you wouldn't see a difference, but then they updated the recommended specs to 2.4 ghz?

hl2 will be running pretty good on your mashine and it's not as "power hungry" as farcry is...

I have the same cpu, same gpu and half the ram and i can run far cry maxed with some exceptions. Like when theres a in-game cinematic, the audio starts but the video comes in late so it's not synced.

I'm wondering how someone with almost the same comp I have can get better performance? Any tips welcome. :)

and by maxed i mean no AA or AF

Aphal said:
HL2's optimization is confusing me, Gabe was saying that over 1.7 GHZ or something like that, you wouldn't see a difference, but then they updated the recommended specs to 2.4 ghz?

Things change.

I actually had 512ram playing those cinematics with Far Cry and had the same problem (ie... the swamp level after your in the back of the jeep with Val driving)

FPS slowdown city ... best tip for Far Cry... get another 512 of ram, makes all the difference in the world

Also the normal stuff like not have a ton of stuff running while your playing (ie... virus scanners) bare minimum programs...

Also i wouldn't think HL2 would really need a gig of ram to run w/o pages

512 should be enough

Ya, I think Far Cry was hardly optimized... Hell, they didn't even finish the multiplayer...

It seems that they rushed it out the door without fixing a lot of things... big fps problems even on high end machines

Did they even bring in playtesters like Valve does? Just from other people playing it and they said they have around a 100 item "change list" after each playtest seems like everything is gonna run a lot smoother

Although, a lot of those 100 items are things they want to change in the maps to make them as perfect as possible.

well i don't know what pple are talking about when they say Far Cry runs horribly since i only tried the demo and nothing more.

i do have a small fear that HL2 will only run on max detail smoothly for those who have the monster horse power type PC's..

Dr. Freeman said:
well i don't know what pple are talking about when they say Far Cry runs horribly since i only tried the demo and nothing more.

i do have a small fear that HL2 will only run on max detail smoothly for those who have the monster horse power type PC's..

well the demo doesnt count really because from what i hear the demo of FC on max settings is equal to the full version running medium high settings.

Letters said:
Ya, I think Far Cry was hardly optimized... Hell, they didn't even finish the multiplayer...

Its a german game, we _never_ finish or optimize our games ;)

you have to remember that Valve's staff and Crytek's staff are different. valve has the best of the best.. while crytek is more like what valve was with hl 1 (only tech has gotten better) but the company is relativly new in the field of gaming.. valve has been around and now is on the level of what john carmack can envision so i m pretty sure that hl2 will run sweeeet on 90% of the decent comps.

Back