HL2 then Aftermath in under 24 hrs Challenge

NJspeed

Reaction score
Previously I've posted about true marathon, immersive sessions of HL2, where a player goes through the entire game in one day.... A few fanatics such as myself have been able to pull it off. Took me about 3 or 4 tries before I finally made it from start to finish and took about 18 hours (8am til 2am) with breaks included...

Now that Aftermath is out, how many fanboys have plans to play HL2 straight through... then immediately start Aftermath? Can you handle it?

I personally would like to take a Saturday to go through all of HL2, then start Aftermath on Sunday morning.

The real challenge, and I wonder if anyone can actually pull it off, would be to play HL2 then Aftermath, straight through, in under 24 hours.

I think I could pull it off with a few stackers or maybe a case of BAWLS, but probably only after I've already beaten Aftermath... Starting a new game at 2am would make it pretty tough on your brain to still function enough to play through entirely.

What does everyone else think? Even if you don't have the time or dedication to play straight through, how many plan on going through HL2 one more time, right before Aftermath is released?

Im up for it. I wont lie or anything like that. Ill time myself and everything. Iv beaten few games in one sitting already.

Quake 4 = 16 hours day it came out
Half-Life 2 = 17 hours
Half-Life 1 = Forgot how long it took me
Project Snowblind = 5 hours
Sin: E ep1 = 8 hours

I was gonna do hl1 source and then hl2 when hl2 came out, but i found out hl1 source was just some added physics and other stuff. But when Black mesa source comes out im gonna do:

Black Mesa Source
HL2
HL2 Aftermat Ep1

Ill do it over 2 days tho of course.
Cheats? Maybe :D lol

My plan is to start "prepping" for Aftermath several days before it's release. First night I will play straight through, start to finish, Half Life 1. The next night, Opposing Force, next night Blueshift, then Half Life 2, and then, June 1st, Aftermath.

Halo 1 took me about 8 hours of straight playing. Half Life 2 on Xbox took me about 1000 mins.

madog said:
I was gonna do hl1 source and then hl2 when hl2 came out, but i found out hl1 source was just some added physics and other stuff. But when Black mesa source comes out im gonna do:

Black Mesa Source
HL2
HL2 Aftermat Ep1

Ill do it over 2 days tho of course.
Cheats? Maybe :D lol

Pffft, choose HL1 over Black Mesa Source.

Though i get to play HL2 Ep1 one day earlier than u guys, i bet ill only get the game later 4 days after the release...:(

Im gunna run threw hl2 soon, I started a week or so ago but had to reformat, getting prep'd for episode 1 which I will run threw as soon as its released.

Given that I only play my SP games on hard and that I really like to limit my deaths as much as possible I'll give myself 8 hours and then I'll play it again :D

I'm not into such marathons as I've said before... but I think this would be a hard one after EpOne is out. I know that if I played through HL2 in one sitting, and went on to EpOne for the first time, I'd be tired enough to get stuck too much, and thus not make it in under 24 hours.

Experience, however, matters a lot. Having completed HL2 three times now, I am fairly certain I could do it again in under 15 hours. Once you remember how to do all the puzzles (aren't that many), and where the tough places are, you can really do it fast. Of course, that would mean that you'd have to run a lot, not take the time to look at the surroundings, and so on.

I beat Sin Episodes at medium difficulty in around 4 hours, and I assume Aftermath will be a bit longer.

Half Life 2, after playing it through about 6 times, shouldn't take me more than 7 hours. Not evan I think.

7+4=11. Yes I can do it in 24 hours. :)

I don't do marathons either. HL2 took me a week to finish and recently Sin Episodes took me three days. I am going to go through HL2 again, though, because it's been a while since I've touched it.

Even though Aftermath isn't going to be extremely long, I will still want to get a good experience. I want to embellish the game and take in every little part, not just fly through it. I honestly don't think that I can sit and play a game that long.

You guys forgot about Lost Coast. It may be part of the story or not, I am not for sure.

The point isn't to fly through the game... The point is immersion.

Believe me, you feel a lot more immersed after playing for 8 hours straight instead of 2 hours a day for 4 days... (work out or even just stretch beforehand and you'll have an easier time sitting for so long) You start to think like Gordon Freeman. Playing through HL2 in one day is completely immersive. By the end of the day, your absolutely exhausted, physically and mentally.. but you gotta keep fighting and going through City 17 to finish the battle... Trust me, its a LOT harder after a full day of playing. You want to just lay down and sleep as much as the rebels probably want to put down their guns and just die and have peace, instead of constant battle.

So it's a much different experience than sitting down one night to finally play Follow Freeman, after you got to it last week.

So that's what I'm talking about...playing through Aftermath in one sitting (immediately or soon after completing HL2 so it's fresh in your mind...Gordon) and yes, exploring every nook and cranny and taking in every little bit...

Do it without dying and...well...not gonna happen this millenium!

HL1 took me about 20-30 hours(It's embarrassing...)
HL2 took me 17 hours, and probably would've taken me 16 if I didn't wonder around the citadel for a while admiring the beauty...
HL2:AM will probably take 8-10 hours easily...

The ideal kick ass valve move would be to release an updated HDR enabled Half Life 2 a few days before aftermath comes out. But that would make too much sense and probably wont happen.

kinggi said:
The ideal kick ass valve move would be to release an updated HDR enabled Half Life 2 a few days before aftermath comes out. But that would make too much sense and probably wont happen.

Yeah Valve commented on that, saying it would be extremely time-consuming, and would be around a five gig download. Not worth it. Well, for them, anyway. Unless we have to pay money, but somehow I doubt you were thinking that.

Back