HL2 Weapons

snark^

Reaction score
Nice to see the return of the wibble [gauss] gun in that dune buggy vs aerial manatee[1] clip -- so presumably it's gotten past the prototype stage now and is in general use as a medium/heavy energy emplaced weapon. Hope this won't prevent Gordon from being able to rip it off the damn mount and using it by hand... :sniper:

What is also noticeable is that Gordon dropped the SPAS12 to pick up the rocket launcher -- wonder if there is a restriction on the number of guns carryable this time? One primary, a couple of secondary pistols? -- or maybe something a little less restrictive along the lines of Wasteland's weapon loadout: 1 primary (assault/heavy/sniper), 1 secondary (subbies/shotguns) and unlimited pistols.

Weapons so far?
  • Melee: Crowbar
  • Pistols: USP match
  • Shotguns: SPAS12
  • Subguns: MP5K, HK PDW
  • Assault rifles: OICW
  • Grenades/Bombs: HE grenade
  • Heavy weapons: Rocket Launcher, Incendiary Cannon
  • Energy weapons: Gauss gun, Manipulator
  • Alien gear: Antlion scent bombs, 'sickly barnacle creature' (PC Gamer preview)

[Updated with correct id of PDW by dukeinaction]
[Updated with barnacle gun]

Missing in action: The Egon, Hornet gun, .357 Revolver, Crossbow, Snarks, Tripmines, Satchel bombs... and OpFor's Desert Eagle, Sniper rifle, Minimi, Displacer energy weapon, Insectoid Zap-gun, Spore launcher, Knife, Pipe Wrench.

[1] Which is an interesting point in itself -- are the combine aliens some sort of bio-mechanical mob?

Originally posted by snark^
What is also noticeable is that Gordon dropped the SPAS12 to pick up the rocket launcher -- wonder if there is a restriction on the number of guns carryable this time? One primary, a couple of secondary pistols? -- or maybe something a little less restrictive along the lines of Wasteland's weapon loadout: 1 primary (assault/heavy/sniper), 1 secondary (subbies/shotguns) and unlimited pistols.
That could either add an interesting and realistic tactical element to the game, or be really annoying.

If there is a weapon limit that would be kinda bad, in Halo you could only have two weapons at a time and it got really annoying but i still beat the game almost, cant beat the jeep race on the ship :\

I see this all the time now in games, the weapon limit.

It was done in Iron Storm (no comment), and really made the game more terrible. :devil: :devil:

The OICW is the one we see Gordon use against the strider in the teaser trailer -- lobbing 3 grenades at it. Doesn't look like we're gonna get the laser rangefinder and ability to set the distance at which the explosive 20mm grens detonate though... :)

The one in the Gamespot Barney and Strider clips has the magazine housed in the handle and one of those quick reflex sights on it (slight magnification and intensify effect as well). From this I'm presuming it's a TMP because I've seen a few of the later and fancier CS replacement models made up something like it.

I wouldn't mind a limitation myself although I'd go for something along the lines of Wasteland's effort with a bit extra: 1 Heavy/Energy; 1 Primary; 1 Secondary; unlimited pistols, grenades and sharp pointy sticks. This would give you a chance to get some decent coverage at short ranges, long ranges and keep something back for the big blastable nasties who need the 'oomph' guns.

Always found it slightly unbelieveable that Gordon, Shepard and co. could carry all that weaponry around ingame. Outcast's Cutter Slade had the best explanation so far: his backpack was a nanotech device that reduced each weapon in size when he put them in it. Otherwise we're left conjuring up images like the closing credits of Tomb Raider 2 where there was a piccy of Lara Croft festooned with the guns from the game: uzis, magnums, M16, grenade launcher, all hanging off her by slings, holsters, etc...

If you take a close look at that dune buggy video you'll notice that Gordon is not wearing a HEV suit (you can see bare skin on his arm and there is no HUD). In the first Half-Life you were not able to use more than one weapon if you were not wearing a suit. This may be the reason the shotgun was dropped. Another really interesting aspect of this video is that the human characters appear to have yellow blood. Me thinks they are not human!

Of course we have to be careful in interpreting these early flicks as they may not represent completed levels.

Well the video's were recorded off of a tv and it seems that the colors tend to shift so it might be red?

Barney was definately using an MP5k, in that same video i would say Gordon was using the G36 or the G36c with a G36 sight:

g36ccomparison.jpg

the G36c owns all.. He has a HK MP5K PDW in his hand in one of those pictures

I want to see a guy with an MG 42 :D It may be old but its pretty cool. Although for modern warfare id use the M-60 since it is based off the MG 42.

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
I want to see a guy with an MG 42 :D It may be old but its pretty cool. Although for modern warfare id use the M-60 since it is based off the MG 42.

Modified versions of the Mg 42 is still used in modern warfare... the new version have a slower ROF though :x

or they could be just showing you the weapons that are in the game ...stop over analysing everything =)

Are you sure about the MP5? I seem to recall in one of the earlier previews (Before E3) that Valve stated there would NOT be an MP5

Barney *is* using an MP5k. Look at video 5 right at the start. Its a variant of the MP5 range, so Valve could mean that the actual bog standard MP5 or the MP5 + grenade launcher from the first game is not in this one.

if you want a light machine gun, why use an m60?
m240 SAW all the way!

SAW doesnt pack a decent punch it just has a high rof, But then again the mg 42 does too and it packs a bigger round.

Ok, I'm sold. I don't know much on the subject of guns...I just had that quote stuck in my head.

The people you can see have a K&K MP5k thats true.

But Gorden carries a H&K PDW/MP 7 which u can clearly see when he switches weapons and also at the piciantine.

pdwright.jpg

its a very new gun and as far as i know only the German special forces are equiped with it.

Ah haaa good skills Dukeinaction! Another one for the list :bounce:

Not an MP5 as such, just the MP5k. The other gun is the HK PDW.

Added that flame grenade launcher from the hornet drone clip. Intriguing looking thing.

Insectoid Zap-gun - Shockrifle

Alien-amphibian grenade launcher - Sporelauncher

-

Flame gren launcher - Incendiary Cannon?

In the movie where Gordon drives around, he drops his shotgun before picking up the rocket launcher. Maybe you only can carry one big and one small weapon at a time..

yeah one pistol, one SMG, one Assult rifle, one heavy weapon and one alien weapon... maybe `_^

The gun that you can pick up things with, will be the coolest I guess.
The other guns in the game.. I hope it will be the same as the HL weapons, as for the only one big one small weapon.. Naah I dont think so, at least I hope it will not be like that.

Do you guys think Valve gonna keep quiet about HL2 to the Release ??

Originally posted by Dave
Insectoid Zap-gun - Shockrifle

Alien-amphibian grenade launcher - Sporelauncher

Flame gren launcher - Incendiary Cannon?

I prefer 'insectoid zapgun' myself :) Besides which I tend to associate 'shockrifle' with UT. Like the 'Incendiary Cannon' though -- now that conjures up the right kind of imagery...

Liked all the alien weapons from HL: getting your finger chewed by the snarks; patting the sporelauncher on the head after 'feeding' it; the chumtoads from Darkstar. It'd be a shame if they weren't in HL2.

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
I want to see a guy with an MG 42 It may be old but its pretty cool. Although for modern warfare id use the M-60 since it is based off the MG 42.

Euw... If you wanna updated MG42 variant take the FN MAG please. Even the US military's finally given up on the M60 and replaced it with the MAG. MG42 still used by India and Pakistan in huge numbers I think. Some scandawegian countries use an update called the MG3.

There's a WW2 mod in the making already anyway so you'll get your MG42 eventually.

Originally posted by Kovacs
In the movie where Gordon drives around, he drops his shotgun before picking up the rocket launcher. Maybe you only can carry one big and one small weapon at a time..

sry...that can't be right. Remember the weapon grid in HL1? The one that showed you how many types of each gun you are carrying? yes, well if you look closly at some of the movies you will see that it is back

Wut I find odd is that in the movie with the scientist and Alyx, After she "hears something" it looks like she hands you an MP5. but, you end up w/ a PDW in your hands. ???

This makes me feel pretty nerdy and obsessed, in a good sort of way

Originally posted by GhostRyder
sry...that can't be right. Remember the weapon grid in HL1? The one that showed you how many types of each gun you are carrying? yes, well if you look closly at some of the movies you will see that it is back

Good point. In that manipulator clip we see 5 slots (1, 2, 3, 4, 6) open up with the PDW in the 3rd slot -- like the MP5 of HL1. Doesn't ell us if there can be more than one gun in each slot though -- the guy playing the game in the movies appears to be using quickswap keys most of the time so we can't really tell dammit... :rolling:

Maybe it's in the techdemo, if anyone can even download the full thing...

Re: Re: HL2 Weapons

there may be such a thing becuz when Gordon is fighting that flying thing after the car ride he throws away his weapon to pick upp the Rocket launcher..but i think and hope there wont be a weapon limit.. :eek:

I just noticed, in the follow on from the video with the boobytraps (where the Combines get smashed to bits), Gordon throws away his Machine Gun to pick up a shotgun on the floor.

thats true dave
looks to me like theres gonna be restrictions on how many weapons of one kind you can carry

Back