HL2DM troubles

Reaction score
My single player HL2 works fine but when ever I try to play HL2DM it loads and when I press start the screen flashes but the game dosn't start and the computer acts as if I never even clicked on it. Could this be a fire wall problem or something? Please HELP I love HL2DM and I REALLY REALLY NEED TO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;(

Well, you could leave open another program (such as this internet browser) and then start HL2DM. Then proceed and when it freezes, try using ALT+TAB to go to the internet browser. (Hold ALT and tapping ALT will cycle through all open programs (release both keys to open the selected program). )
You can then see if it's a firewall problem or not.
You can also just look in the exception list of programs that every firewall has (just look around a bit :p). If you only have Windows Firewall, get an actual firewall now. (Zone Alarm, Kerio Personal Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall are all free and good programs)
You can look up the Windows Firewall exception list by going into the Configuration Screen folder and double-clicking on "Windows Firewall".
Then select the "Exceptions" tab.

ok checked it and it did't fix anything but I did fix my source sdk it was set on HL2DM and wouldn't work I switched to HL2 and it worked fine so what does that mean? Does that mean the problem is with HLDM itself?

I dunno :p
You could try sending a support ticket to Steam Support:
Link

WTF! I THINK SOME ONE ELSE IS USIN MY DM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS LOOKING AT PROPERTIES AND IT SAID IT WAS LAST USED TODAY AT 3:31 P.M.! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE IT WAS ONLY 2:12 P.M. WHEN I CHECKED THE PROPERTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lastHOPE_lambda said:
WTF! I THINK SOME ONE ELSE IS USIN MY DM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS LOOKING AT PROPERTIES AND IT SAID IT WAS LAST USED TODAY AT 3:31 P.M.! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE IT WAS ONLY 2:12 P.M. WHEN I CHECKED THE PROPERTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kk just change your password and your contact e-mail address to something else. (Do this on another computer, someone may have put a keylogger on your computer.)
Make another e-mail account, set it your Steam account to that and then change your password. Although, if they have a keylogger on your computer, they'll be able to find out your new password immediately.

Ok I'm having a hell of a time valve did respond to my reply for some reason and I can't figure out why just DM won't work all my other games work just not DM. SOMEONE PLEASE can anyone help me? What it does is it starts to open then closes right away.

lastHOPE_lambda said:
Ok I'm having a hell of a time valve did respond to my reply for some reason and I can't figure out why just DM won't work all my other games work just not DM. SOMEONE PLEASE can anyone help me? What it does is it starts to open then closes right away.
Well, what you could try is delete all the HL2DM content and redownload it :| (Make sure you back up your config files, screenshots and any videos you might have)

-Left-click on the Steam tray icon.
-Select "Games".
-Click on the "My Games" tab.
-Right-Click on "Half-Life 2 Deathmatch".
-Select "Properties".
-Click on the "Local Files" tab.
-Click on "Delete Local Game Content...".

Then just redownload by double-clicking on (the now transparent) HL2DM icon.

OMG I'm such an idiot I just realized something when it starts up it shows I little internet Explorer Icon down at the bottom of my screen. Does this mean theres a file corruption with my Internet Browser and my HL2 DM? or does it always show the internet explorer thing instead of the valve thing? If it is a file corruption it would explain why it always shows the last used today at....so an so time, cause I use the internet a lot and when ever I use it it thinks I'm using HL2 DM. if it is a file corruption between my internet explorer and my Hl2 Dm how do I fix it.

Or am I toatlly wrong?
P.S. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd just format. That "file corrupting" just sounds like someone hooked up to start explorer together with HL2DM so he could do several malicious things. And if that's the case, I doubt you'll get it clean without formatting.
Just back up all your files and put them on a (few) DVDs :p

ok, but also would the problem fix its self if I moved it to a new computer? Cause I'm going to be moving all my games to my new compu very very soon.

lastHOPE_lambda said:
ok, but also would the problem fix its self if I moved it to a new computer? Cause I'm going to be moving all my games to my new compu very very soon.
As long as the games haven't been infected or the keylogger isn't binded to the exe, you should be fine. It'd be best to format that old comp tho :|

hey G-mod works on it so I think I now know what the real prob is I have umptinezillionvirus blocker programes on the compu so I think its just being blocked the reason GM works is because the virs blockers don't see it as a threat. So how do I tell which programes are blocking it? I have tons so if there some sort of search I can do it would be helpful.

I have the same problem too..
But I can't run my CS:S , HL2, HL2 DM...

It goes to the "Prepairing" after you double click HL2 CS:S. But it just never opens...the dialog box disappears...but hl2CS:S never shows up in Task Manager or anything

yeah exactly man but except it just does it to my hl2 dm do you know how to fix it? I can play all my games except that one

Back