Home server hosting problems

Meteor_of_War

Reaction score
I searched the forum for answers to this problem I'm having but turned up nothing. Seems that every related thread either has a lack of replies, no replies at all, or immaturity instead of help. Apparently there's a real shortage of knowledge about how to go about running a home Counter Strike: Source server over the net.

Here's what I've been trying so far:

I downloaded and installed the Source dedicated server, opened the port on my router for hosting a CS server (27015), set the dedicated server settings for internet, and allowed Windows XP's service pack 2 security settings to unblock Steam. I even tried disabling my firewall to see if that would make a difference. But still, when I start the server it will only start a LAN game. I have hosted home servers for other games without any issues, Unreal Tournament 2004, Call of Duty, and the first Half Life and CS games, but not CS:Source. Why is this? I've got a decent enough net connection to run a small server for me and my friends across town to play on, but just keep hitting a wall. If anyone has any experience running a home CS:Source server over the net please reply with anything I might be missing.

Thanks.

I run my CS: S server from home.
I opened ports 27015-27020, made sure my IP was right, I even added a IP forward. I also shut off the firewall(s), made sure the internal IP was correct, etc.
After all that, I made sure that the web could detect the server, I checked this by using my own script (feel free to use it -> http://sod.drkclan.com/image.php?host=<IP address here>&port=<port here> ). If it doesn't, try cutting the power to the router for about 2 seconds, then turn it back on (works for me, sometimes the router won't open the port to the computer correctly, so yeah lol).

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

EDIT: Oh yeah, also make sure that in the router you set the type as both, otherwise it won't work. :p

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try either tonight when I get home or tomorrow. I'll post back here and let you know how it goes.

And by "both", you mean UDP and TCP? If so, yeah I did that.

Something I would suggest is to make sure that you use the "Port Forwarding" & not the "UPnP Forwarding", I've had issues when trying to use that.
Another thing I did was set the server computer as the DMZ host, had problems with the server being intermittant when it's not set. :eek:

Anyway, that's about all I can think about having to have.
If you need more help feel free to contact me @ drkpwn3r at drkstudios dot com :cool:

I appreciate all your help so far, but unfortunately I still havent got it going.

And I have been using the "port forwarding". I do have some experience in opening router ports to host multiplayer games, hosted a UT2004 server for months without a hitch.

Counter Strike: Source is becoming a pain in the neck though. No matter what I do, I get a "not responding" message when adding my server's IP to my favorites list after starting it--although it appears just fine under the LAN games tab. I've now tried everything short of setting my comp to DMZ, I guess I can try that next.

Funny thing, when I was searching the forum for answers to this problem before I posted this thread, I noticed that got suggested several times and never was it a solution. I did however try it, and it didnt help.

Back