Homeworld or Cataclysm?

99.vikram

Tank
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a cheap game that I can spend countless hours on. My friends have told me many good things about Homeworld, so I'm going to purchase either the game or the expansion.

Which one should it be, Helplife2.net?

EDIT: Dammit, forgot about the poll!

Homeworld. It was very awe-inspring.

Cataclysm is very cinematic too, but its a bit less epic.

Homeworld 2 is sort of a mix between the two, but its gameplay mechanics are dumbed down.

i havn't played any of those, but when i want to pick a game, i go on a gaming site and read the reviews and what other people think.

That's what he's doing, only with HL2.net.

Neeways, I liked Homeworld. It was great fun and quite epic.

I only played a little of the original HW, but HW2 is the shit and I recommend it :p

homeworld is the only game I was unable to finish. I haven't played it since I bought it when it came out, but I remember it being very hard.

It was an awesome game though.

Just grab Homeworld. It isn't hard once you start stealing a tonne of frigates near the end.

Homeworld. I have cataclysm and I don't think it's as good as the original. However, once you get used to HW and as it starts to get a bit stale, pick up Cataclysm, and then after that HW2. I found HW2 to be pretty dumbed down and not as intense as the first two, although the original is the best.

I only played a little of the original HW, but HW2 is the shit and I recommend it :p

HW2 was shit. Well, not shit but way suckier than HW or Cataclysm.
Anyway, I always liked Cataclysm just a touch more than HW, it's got a slightly more compact story, it's not epic which is kinda good, cause it means it gets close and personal. And it's really, really well told. I think one of my favourite ever cutscenes are from that game. Both are highly recommended though, and since they can't cost much even when combined I'd say you play both.

looks like I need to check out HW then...

Unlike HW, in Cataclysm you could assign "ctrl+dragbox" attack orders from within the sensor manager, that feature was carried over to HW2

So Cataclysm would be better (read: easier) for a noob like me?

(Could some Mod please add a poll?)

I never played Cataclysm but some of the last couple of missions of HW were among the hardest I've played in any game.
That said, it's a great game and it being difficult is no reason not to play it. Challenge = Fun. I would have enjoyed Crysis more for example if it wasn't so easy (on Delta).

Homeworld is the main event, Cataclysm is the encore. I made the mistake of reading the manual while waiting for the game to install. I didn't start playing until the following day!

While you're at it, see if you can pickup a copy of Hostile Waters by Rage. It's a neat game with some interesting ideas.

I haven't played HW but Cataclysm is damn good game and is definitely better than HW2.

While you're at it, see if you can pickup a copy of Hostile Waters by Rage. It's a neat game with some interesting ideas.

Seconded, its a fantastic game.

Back