Horrible framerate at main menu in portal

Reaction score
So as the title says every time, so far, that I've loaded up portal the opening screen has just a horrible frame rate. I don't know what the exact fps I get are exactly but its pretty bad, I can even hear the ambient music breaking up into frames. Well anyways this happens at the main screen of Ep.2 as well. I don't know if it does it for tf2 but I'm guessing it does as the low frame rate thing seems to follow all the newer source games around. Once I get playing any of the games the frame rate is great but still It's annoying that It takes 5 minutes for me to change any settings at the main menu screen. I just bought the orange box today for ep.1,2 portal and tf2. I already had HL2 and some other games which are functioning fine at the main menus. I think I'm going to try installing orange box first instead of just adding the games I don't have after I install my original copy of HL2 and see If that helps. But I was hoping to get any advice before I cause myself the inconvenience. Has this happened to anyone else, if so what did you do about it? Thanks.

My specs are in my sig for reference.

I'm sure there are different backgrounds you can install and input in the game files so you don't have to wait for that, but i can't be bothered to look for them at the moment. I'll come back with one tomorrow, or maybe someone else will have them.

Good luck with it, in the mean time. :D

Hey So I uninstalled everything(I even deleted the valve folder under programs folder) and installed fresh starting with orange box, I let everything do the updating. As soon as everything got done I launched Portal, Same thing, sucky frame rates, I'm guessing 1fps. The funny thing is, even on tf2 where the main menu is a picture the sounds still break up into frames, I'm starting to get the feeling it's my newly acquired orange box copy that's the problem, but I don't know Because HL2 and Episode 1 (installed off the orange box disc) play fine it's just Portal Episode 2 and Team Fortress 2 that's killing my frame rates. What do you guys think I should do next return my copy and get a replacement?

*Also when I tried to load up a game of portal, the game was running at 1fps for the first time I've seen. Not even a fried gpu would suck this bad.... I'm baffled.

It's not your copy of HL2 or OB... maybe you need to update your drivers, or perhaps your video card isn't good enough *shrug*.

So I was able to beat portal last night without any graphical glitches. Except when I loaded it back up after exiting the game the main menu screen was all stuttery and when I loaded up a completed chapter I got 1fps in game. I have the latest drivers Forceware 169.21, I think I have my latest sound card drivers, even If I don't I know it's not that since I disabled It and the problem persisted. I can run Crysis and every other game fine and on high settings, it's just the certain games that I mentioned that give me this problem. I mean even TF2 with the picture for a background gives me the stuttering issue... No one has had this problem before?
This is what I've done to troubleshoot so far:
Defragmented the game files.
Verified their integrity.
Disabled and re-enabled my sound card.
Defragmented my whole hdd.
Disk Cleanup.
Uninstalled and deleted all files related to Source-based games. Reinstalled everything Starting with orange box first.

So after all that I've made no progress, I'm just hoping for some advice. Thanks.

*Update* Here's the video, so you all can see exactly what's going on.
Go Here, I don't know how to embed it into my post.

Your pc is ****ed, go format. It's probably a virus of some sort.

Are you sure I should do that first and foremost?
Also just recently I've been having these strange screens come up where my computer is only outputting one color and the cursor, so for example I left my computer on for about 5 minutes and when I came back my whole screen was just purplish with the ability to move my cursor around and apparently click on stuff since the hand came up numerous times, only thing was I couldn't see what I was doing and the only way it seemed I could turn off my computer was by holding down the power button. This might be off topic or related to my problem with portal. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to say whether it is or isn't. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So as the title says every time, so far, that I've loaded up portal the opening screen has just a horrible frame rate. I don't know what the exact fps I get are exactly but its pretty bad, I can even hear the ambient music breaking up into frames. Well anyways this happens at the main screen of Ep.2 as well. I don't know if it does it for tf2 but I'm guessing it does as the low frame rate thing seems to follow all the newer source games around. Once I get playing any of the games the frame rate is great but still It's annoying that It takes 5 minutes for me to change any settings at the main menu screen. I just bought the orange box today for ep.1,2 portal and tf2. I already had HL2 and some other games which are functioning fine at the main menus. I think I'm going to try installing orange box first instead of just adding the games I don't have after I install my original copy of HL2 and see If that helps. But I was hoping to get any advice before I cause myself the inconvenience. Has this happened to anyone else, if so what did you do about it? Thanks.

My specs are in my sig for reference.

Hi . It`s not you copy of Orange Box. This weekend I chanegd the motherboard in my computer from a Intel motherboard to an Nvidia 680i LT motherboard. I reinstalled windows , installed a fresh copy of Steam , downloaded TF2 and Portal fresh from the Steam server and I have the exsact same problem in Portal , TF2 and HL2E2. HL2E1 and earier plays perfectly , the same does Crysis , COD4 and AVP2 .
I havent found a solution on the problem , but at least I have the same problem as you .

Yea, it's really a strange problem. I've never really ran into a problem that affected game play so much. I'm just hoping I can get this figured out before long because the longer this goes on the more it sucks...

No Prob. Dezartfox help me with the problem today so I figured I'd show you too. Happy Gaming.

ok, please help, the link you have doesnt work anymore and im having the exact same problem. i need this fixed, its driving me insane. tanks.

Back