How can we play HL2 on our tv's?

S

superphish007

Is this even possible? I have a 60 inch tv and i would love to play PC games on it. Like all of you I'll be getting HL2 as soon as it comes out. I'll also be getting a new graphics card in a couple months.
Does the TV-Out that comes with so many cards today allow the Card to do this, and if so is quality garbage on TV? I wouldnt mind a little quality loss for games like Generals, 1942 or Counter-Strike. It just seems that graphic cards are getting way better every year and this technology should be on most cards by now.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject of what you can do with the TV-out fuction, and other funtions on most cards today. I never had a card with a TV-Out.

Thanks for the advice.
SuperPhish

with my card i used S-Video to do tv out and from my experience the image was HORRIBLE i could barely make out text in a multiplayer game cause TV's are made for super high res... so you need to run it at max res to get a good picture... 1024x768 is not a good choice :p

lol, yeah, TVs are lower res, standard analog tv resolution is 800x600, while the standard hi-def tv (i myself own a 54" hi def tv) resolution is 1024x768

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
Standard analog tv is 640x480

He's right.
Some HD TV is 720i or 720p (i=interlaced, like standard TV, only showing every other line of pixels p=progressive, showing everything) and the reall, really HDTVs ar 1024i.

1080i, not 1024i. If I recall correctly, VHS tapes are 320x240, which is why you can burn a VCD at that resolution and it won't look like crap on your TV.

I just know that it's 1080 because I was reading it somewhere. I wish I had one :afro:

NTSC = 640x480
PAL = 800x600

most TVs are 800x600
HDTVs are 1024x768

thats all, k?

Interesting stuff,

Do any of you play or have you played, or seen how pc games look on standard non-HDTV? If you know how its done could you briefly explain what hardware/software someone would need . Also Standard analog tv is 640x480 will the game play good/look good at that rez?

Thanks so far.
Superphish

I once played through Halflife on a projector we borrowed off someone. Now that was fun. The resolution could go to what you want, because obviously it doesnt work the same as a Tv and the refresh rate wasnt too bad either. Man it was great. Forget 22" moniter, i had a freaking 22' screen.

My uncle has a NICE projecter too, but i doubt he would lend it to me to play games.

I teach computer science at my local high school, and during the school year am constantly checking out projectors to "prepare presentations." I've found that i can easily make the screen 4-5 feet diagonal before i notice degradation. And if you're playing older games, like the original half-life. You wont mind the graphic drop playing on 13-15 feet.

ive got a 19inch monitor, not worth it to me to go out buy a cable and run it through the wall so i can play on a 27 inc tv

i dont think ur gonna get a good result...

I've played the original Half-Life on a TV, running my resolution out from my video card at 800 x 600 it looked pretty damn amazing with FSAA on. Well, I mean as well as it could look on a 32" Trinitron TV display at 640 x 480.

The really cool part was streaming the audio to my 600 watt 5.1 stereo and cranking the sound - nice!

Cheers,

EnochLight

reason2.jpg

Back