How to Make CS:S Movies

SubKamran

Reaction score
This thread should help some people make proper movies :cheers:

1. Download the FRAPS demo, 2.2.5. Registering it will give you better videos though. Start it up, modify settings if you need to, I'd modify the path (personally, it's C:\Games\Movies). Recording to a seperate hard drive will get better performance.

2. Start the game, when you want to start recording, hit F12 (or whatever Hotkey you defined in FRAPS). To stop, hit F12 (or whatever Hotkey you defined in FRAPS) again.

3. Record any number of movies you need.

4. Exit the game.

Option 1 - High Quality WMV

5. Open Windows Movie Maker.
6. File -> Import into collection
7. Browse to the movie folder, wherever it saves them.
8. Drag the video to the storyline.
9. File -> Save Movie File... Save for the local computer, type in path you need, save as "Video for Local Playback 2.1mbps (NTSC)"
10. Go to step 15

Option 2 - BINK
11. Download RAD Game Tools
12. Open RAD Game tools, browse to the video file, select it and hit "Bink it!"
13. In the file name, change ".bik" to ".exe". Change path to suit your needs.
14. Go to step 15.

Finally, putting it somewhere

15. Go to the site: http://s11.yousendit.com/
16. Put in your email.
17. Upload the file.
18. Get the link from the email (I guess? I haven't gone through it).
19. Get over here and post the link!
20. After you're done, delete the AVI files made by FRAPS to free up space.

I hope this helps people! If mods want to make this sticky... :D

CREDIT GOES TO THEHUNTER1320 FOR FINDING YOUSENDIT. :thumbs:

shame FRAPS captures just dont show the quality of cs source .. hope we see some more direct footage captured

thanks for the tutorial. I just made a counterStrike Movie, but its realy lagy when you record the vid clip. its so lagy when you hit f9. ???????????

Gorgon said:
thanks for the tutorial. I just made a counterStrike Movie, but its realy lagy when you record the vid clip. its so lagy when you hit f9. ???????????

I know, which is the problem with every software that records video from games, but FRAPS is the best one. Like I said, registered version is much better. Even with the 2.2.5 demo, I get 30fps. The faster the computer and video card, the better the results. :naughty:

SubKamran said:
I know, which is the problem with every software that records video from games, but FRAPS is the best one. Like I said, registered version is much better. Even with the 2.2.5 demo, I get 30fps. The faster the computer and video card, the better the results. :naughty:

I have very fast laptop, but without a graphics card :(

its ok, I am uploading the file right now to my email through yousendit.

I just want to test it. OMG yousendit.com is awsome, we can upload movies, music, hell ya DOOM3 the full game. :LOL:

Mr. Redundant, you are doing a good job. Kepp uploading :p

Gorgon said:
I have very fast laptop, but without a graphics card :(

its ok, I am uploading the file right now to my email through yousendit.

I just want to test it. OMG yousendit.com is awsome, we can upload movies, music, hell ya DOOM3 the full game. :LOL:

Mr. Redundant, you are doing a good job. Kepp uploading :p

Give us link after you're done :D

SubKamran said:
Did you convert it to a smaller AVI file?

ha, :hmph: ? hmmm no, you mean i must do it through moviemaker.

18 seconds. I just upload it directly without any editing.

uhhhh, there's a better way than that I think...it works in 1.6 anyways.

1. Join a game, record a demo (i assume you can record a demo in Source?)

Name it "source", so type "record source" in console (again, assumeing these are the commands, they are in 1.6.

2. Just play the game, do whatever you want...

3. Type stop in console when you're done doing whatever you want to show in the video.

4. disconnect from the server, and type "playdemo source" in console, and just as you type that, type "startmovie source 30". And let it do it's thing, it'll be like you're playing at 2 fps, but it'll get there.

5. Then go to the CS:Source folder, or Half-Life folder, there should be hundreds of .bmps named "Source0001.bmp" and so on. Convert these to jpg, then load them into Video Mach, or any video program you like to use pretty much...You should be able to figure it out from there, if not, well, ask I guess.

Also, there will probably be a .wav file named "source.wav"

Put that into the Audio part of Video Mach.

Download video mach Here

This is kind of advanced, but if you want to make good movies...this is the way I'm almost 100% sure that it is the way it was done in the high quality movies we've all downloaded.

Baal said:

Name it "source", so type "record source" in console (again, assumeing these are the commands, they are in 1.6.

3. Type stop in console when you're done doing whatever you want to show in the video.

4. disconnect from the server, and type "playdemo source" in console, and just as you type that, type "startmovie source 30". And let it do it's thing, it'll be like you're playing at 2 fps, but it'll get there.

5. Then go to the CS:Source folder, or Half-Life folder, there should be hundreds of .bmps named "Source0001.bmp" and so on. Convert these to jpg, then load them into Video Mach, or any video program you like to use pretty much...You should be able to figure it out from there, if not, well, ask I guess.

Download video mach Here

This is kind of advanced, but if you want to make good movies...this is the way I'm almost 100% sure that it is the way it was done in the high quality movies we've all downloaded.

I don't know if that works, if the beta has demo recording...then USE IT. :imu:

it works if Beta has demo recording, I would imagine it would work anyways...

I can't see them not implementing that stuff now....

ps: My way is better because:

1. Capable of making higher quality videos, at least I think, I haven't seen good videos with fraps.

2. You don't have to play CS at 30 FPS :)

Baal said:
it works if Beta has demo recording, I would imagine it would work anyways...

I can't see them not implementing that stuff now....

ps: My way is better because:

1. Capable of making higher quality videos, at least I think, I haven't seen good videos with fraps.

2. You don't have to play CS at 30 FPS :)

Boomtown was with FRAPS I think. :| And yah, it is better...

If Boomtown was fraps, I stand corrected I guess, for # 1, but...playing at 30 FPS sucks :(

Plus it's easier to keep what you want/what you don't want in the video.

Baal said:
If Boomtown was fraps, I stand corrected I guess, for # 1, but...playing at 30 FPS sucks :(

Plus it's easier to keep what you want/what you don't want in the video.

I reread your post, I was doing startmovie before doing the demo record! Oh noes! No wonder it didn't work well.

Dude, now I can make some kick ass movies! :thumbs: Binks!

Argh, it's much faster but still slow when I encode to DivX.

EDIT: It's better, it just skipped a few frames. When I did FIle Info for the list file, it says it's running at 15fps. I doubled that when I encoded it so it's smoother but also twice as fast. :LOL:

I just read the post by Chris_D in the Info from Valve thread, so maybe later I will give it a shot, it might be why it was so slow.

Baal said:

Download video mach Here

source outputs tga's not bmp's :)
and don't convert them to jpeg's.. thats just an unneceseray loss of quailty.

otherwise i was just looking for a guide on how to set the fps it renders the tga's for :)
ty :)

Here:

record cssa (let your character sit there for about 15 seconds)
stop

playdemo cssa (now you have to type in the next two commands fast before the action starts, but it has to be while playing)

host_framerate 30
startmovie cssa

endmovie

:)

Then load up RAD game tools, highlight all the TGAs, hit List files..., say Yes to the prompt. Save the list file. Select it in the window, hit "convert file", output type = "avi", under Framerate -> Force = "30"

Hope that works...

awesome dude thx! Good thing I have a cracked verison of Fraps already :)

sorry to say it, but Fraps is like shit if you dont have a fast computer :D

1. use the traditional way, its better
2. Use the rad video tool, and you´ll have a movie you can be proud of

Ermm.. wasn't most of this thread explaining how not to use fraps, but to use the built-in video capture? And that method does work fine in CS: S, used it myself :) it's also a lot easier to edit videos that way because the output is uncompressed (tgas + wav), and then you just compress it with RAD video tools. Bear in mind that two minutes of high-res capture will take up over 5 gigs :thumbs:

I have used the startmovie several times now, but the wav keeps coming out in 1 kb file without any sound:( Loaded the Tga sequence and wav into premiere, but no sound... Anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for this i can make movies and then add sounds and then export them using window maker.

Back