Huge write-up on CELL and Playstation 3

Loke

Tank
Reaction score
I'm to lazy to copy all that so here is the link to the info.

And many thanks to doncale for it.

Guess why im getting a PS3 instead of a ShitBox2?..hmm i meant Xbox2! (lol i know that joke was lame) :p

Sounds like another 'emotion engine' to me :) (what a crock that was)

Still - the PS3 is bound to be a great machine (along with the others)

one questiong

that tecnology will be used on more things that just the PS3? cuz the developers are sony,IBM and toshiba and the 2 last dont make consoles

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the first reply to that thread. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

<RJMC> said:
one questiong

that tecnology will be used on more things that just the PS3? cuz the developers are sony,IBM and toshiba and the 2 last dont make consoles

Yeah suposedly... that what i heard anyway. Specially if its any good...

The PS3 may be hard to make games for but man when they get it right it will be awsome!

bah! i don't trust any gaming company except Nintendo... only people i'll pre-order a console from... even if 4 years later the games i bought it for are coming out

/me hugs copy of Resident Evil 4, a Zelda pre-order slip, and his shiny Nintendo DS

Prince of China said:
What's Nintendo's next console going to be called?

Game Triangular Prism.

I don't really understand all of that technical stuff...It's all French to me (and I don't speak French).

Nah a triangular prism would be a step down... what they want is Game Octagonal Prism

burnzie said:
Nah a triangular prism would be a step down... what they want is Game Octagonal Prism

Pentagonal Prism.

4 + 1 = 5.

MATHS.

4 + 1 = 5.
Hmm... Are you sure?

Ne ways I know what it will really be called
GameXstationcasttendo
don't ask how I know that x_X.

Well screw this tech stuff, just show me some beautiful screenies :D hehe

I'll probably end up buying PS3 and Xenon... maybe the revolution (I have almost never used that damn gamecube....)

The hype engine is picking up speed. I'll believe it when I see it running a real game environment. Not tech demos.

no the next nintendo console will be sphere of games :rolling:

Conclusion

The first Cell based desktop computer will be the fastest desktop computer
in the industry by a very large margin. Even high end multi-core x86s will
not get close. Companies who produce microprocessors or DSPs are going to
have a very hard time fighting the power a Cell will deliver. We have never
seen a leap in performance like this before and I don't expect we'll ever
see one again, It'll send shock-waves through the entire industry and we'll
see big changes as a result.

The sheer power and low cost of the Cell means it will present a challenge
to the venerable PC. The PC has always been able to beat competition by
virtue of it's huge software base, but this base is not as strong as it once
was. A lot of software now runs on Linux and this is not dependant on x86
processors or Microsoft. Most PCs now provide more power than is necessary
and this fact combined with fast JIT emulators means that if necessary the
Cell can provide PC compatibility without the PC.

It will not just attack the PC industry but expect it to be widely used in
embedded applications where high performance is required. This means it will
be made in numbers potentially many times that of x86 CPUs and this will
reduce prices further. This will also hurt PC based vendors desires to enter
the home entertainment space as PC based solutions [Entertainment] will be
more complex and cost more than Cell based systems.

This is going to prove difficult for the PC as CPU and GPU suppliers will
have essentially nothing to fight back with. All they can hope to do is
match a Cell's performance but even that is going to be incredibly difficult
given the Cell's aggressive Cray-esq design strategy.

Cell is going to turn the industry upside down, nobody has ever produced
such a leap in performance in one go and certainly not at a low price. The
CPU producers will be forced to fight back and irrespective of how well the
Cell actually does in the market you can be sure that in a few short years
all CPUs will be providing vastly more processing resources than they do
today. Even if the Cell was to fail we shall all gain from it's legacy.

Not all companies will react correctly or in time, this will provide
opportunities for newer, smaller and smarter companies. Big changes are
coming, they may take years but the Cell means a decade from now the
technology world is going to look very different.

God I love this, both companies keep adding new shit to make stuff more advanced, only benefits us :p

I remember developers talking about how the PS2 and its emotion engine offered them "infinite power". I think it's safe to say the system fell a bit short of that. I remember reading things like this:
"100,000 polygons on a face alone is unheard of for an in-game character model. But the old man's detailed face is not too far off from what we'll see in the future of in-game models."
Nothing ever came close to touching that particular tech demo. We would be lucky to see that much geometric detail in an entire scene, let alone just one face.

The cell stuff has been slowly building hype since it was announced. I'm sure it'll be something we'll say "cool" at, and then move on. It's hardly the revolution he makes it out to be.

Hype, hype, hype, can't we get some freaking proof? Oh well, hopefully we will get some form of proof at E3 this year I hope.
Otherwise I'll hunt Sony down and shred'em to small little meat pieces!

Gargantou said:
Hype, hype, hype, can't we get some freaking proof? Oh well, hopefully we will get some form of proof at E3 this year I hope.
Otherwise I'll hunt Sony down and shred'em to small little meat pieces!

Correction..overhype.

I'll be buying my Revolution and taking a good look at the new XBox. Sony has let me down twice with the PS and PS2...both systems I sold within 5 months of purchase....

I do thank them for the PS2 however....I sold that a bit sooner during the time of shortage and fetched a nice tag on EBay. HA. That was some of the easiest money I'd made in a long while. I was actually going to buy 2-3 systems, but that fell through.

Anyone know if the Revolution is going to be at E3???

Yes they will be amazingly fast, but the problem, as with multicore processors, will be the software. (I'm talking about for PC cell processors)

Software will have to specifically be written to use more than 1 thread, or core, or cell, or whatever. People aren't going to develop just for cell processors when most people have x86 processors, and people aren't going to buy cell processors when there isn't software for them.

Cell processors won't become widespread until Microsoft makes Windows Longhorn: Cell Edition. From there... well, lots can happen.

SidewinderX said:
Cell processors won't become widespread until Microsoft makes Windows Longhorn: Cell Edition. From there... well, lots can happen.

Except Sony don't want to do that. (It was mentioned in the locked thread)

Seems like a shot in the foot if you ask me.....

Iced_Eagle said:
(I have almost never used that damn gamecube....)

aww - buy some games for it then ;) there's plenty of good ones about.

Lt. Drebin said:
Sony has let me down twice with the PS and PS2...both systems I sold within 5 months of purchase....

That's the wrong time to sell a PS2 m8 ;).

It took a good year or two before many really good games started to arrive on the PS2. Now there are many top quality titless (Ico is up there with the best of Nintendo. Its sequal makes me weak at the knees just thinking about it :))

To miss out on any of the next gen consoles will mean you're guaranteed to miss out on some of the best games ever made. Pick up a second hand PS3 a year or so after launch if you must - but make sure you get one.

(for the first time ever i'm very excited about a Sony console - based purely on the PS2's strength towards the end of this generation. Nintendo will always interest me more - but Sony has pushed Xbox down a little in my eyes)

Cell is the future of computing. Grip Processing (the Concept of which the Cell is based on) i should say is the future of Computing.

The Ps3 will be the most powerful console ever made. Along with nVidia creating the GPU technologyies and making the Ps3 easy to program for.

Nintendo, I see them coming in second with Microsoft falling to third because well...Microsoft just isn't all that original and can never come up with a good original creative idea.

Especially with Microsoft and XBox fanboys thinking Halo 2 is the greatest FPS ever made (what a laugh)...but "Beggars Can't Be Choosers" So they continue with it.

Remeber though, it's the games that will matter.

All the next gen consoles will be powerful enough. The technical specs really don't matter that much (look at this generation - it's all about games)

The Silhouette said:
The Ps3 will be the most powerful console ever made. Along with nVidia creating the GPU technologyies and making the Ps3 easy to program for.
If that happened, then it would be great. But it won't. PS2 is the most difficult console to program for, and it uses traditional technology. No one has programmed for cell processors before, so it will take a whole new breed of thinking to use it effectivly. It won't be easy to program for.

Nintendo, I see them coming in second with Microsoft falling to third because well...Microsoft just isn't all that original and can never come up with a good original creative idea.
Hate to start this argument up but.... What creativity has to be done with a console? Microsoft has already made the most effcient and popular online service for consoles, I'd say that was pretty creative. Besides, more people are buy and playing Xbox than any other console. This past year Xbox was the only console to have thier market share rise. Besides, Nintendo seems to be backing out of the console "war." They're doing fine with handhelds, and will continue to do so.

SidewinderX said:
Besides, Nintendo seems to be backing out of the console "war." They're doing fine with handhelds, and will continue to do so.

I don't think they're backing out of the console war - much is promised with their next gen machine, more so than just an increase in power (whether they'll deliver or not is still to be seen. Judging by the innovation and success of the DS it's looking promising :))

I don't consider Nintendo to be competing with Sony and Microsoft either. They have a niche all of their own ... and will always do as long as there are fans buying consoles to play Zelda/Metroid/Mario etc.

In the battle for the average consumers console space beneath the tv, it's Sony vs Xbox. Nintedno will continue to plod along nicely regardless of who wins.

I don't think they're backing out of the console war - much is promised with their next gen machine, more so than just an increase in power (whether they'll deliver or not is still to be seen. Judging by the innovation and success of the DS it's looking promising )

I don't consider Nintendo to be competing with Sony and Microsoft either. They have a niche all of their own ... and will always do as long as there are fans buying consoles to play Zelda/Metroid/Mario etc.

In the battle for the average consumers console space beneath the tv, it's Sony vs Xbox. Nintedno will continue to plod along nicely regardless of who wins.
Warbie I think I fully agree with you for once.

satch919 said:
The hype engine is picking up speed. I'll believe it when I see it running a real game environment. Not tech demos.

100% agree.

PC still alot better even if ps3 can beat it by specs

Just remember folks that in the end of the day, the PS3 is a "computer", an embedded one. So it's not really - technically - beating anything but itself.

Also, if IBM helped creating a tech that would beat the conventional "computer", then they can also help the pc market make a new tech to beat that tech. Sony is only fooling themselves - you can't stop a desktop evolving faster than a console.

The Silhouette said:
Cell is the future of computing. Grip Processing (the Concept of which the Cell is based on) i should say is the future of Computing.

Its only the future of computing if the userbase wants to use it. Many things that show the "Future Of Computing" have fallen through.

Back