I almost cried

Decon

Reaction score
I just finished Portal and it was an amazing experience.

It is so refreshing and intelligent, so powerfully subtle, especially that spiel with the Boss Droid in last chamber, so unlike the usual "I will destroy you" pattern when dealing with bosses in other games.

And the turret droids are the funniest thing ever put in a computer game without being too funny...just incredible. And the "cake" as a paradigm for human strive, very sharp and funny.

But, when the credits came I just got all welled up to the brink of crying. I don't know what it is, I can only try to put it into words...the subtle connections with life's inherent mystery via juxtaposition of non-organic sentience and it's idiosyncratic attitude...the incredible melody and lyrics...the format of relaying the "message"..I don't remember when was the last time something induced such incredibly intense feelings in me. And all that just from credits..

Has anyone else felt the same?

Anyway, I just have to say what a fantastic job Valve did, only very intelligent, educated and sensible people could create something like this.
Even though Half Life 2 is a masterpiece it could use touches like this.

Welcome to halflife2.net, good first post.

I felt that overwhelming surge of emotion when the credits came up for me too. I loved the entire games from start to finish, and couldn't quite believe how perfectly Valve management to capture what they set out to do. The mixture of being a lab rat, then the hunter, then the guilt you feel from the 'Still Alive' song, you can't help but actually adore GLaDOS. Although it sounds bizarre, and I could never convince someone to play it based on those thoughts, once you've lived it you truly understand. There's nothing quite like it.

Yep, they are geniuses and genius artists, I even think they toned down HL2 series to be accessible to a wider audience.
When I think about how nobody came even close to making something so immersive and streamlined as HL2 on a planet of 6 billion, it really makes me sad.

During portal I felt alone, a type of lonelyness that I am not used to, I enjoy my own company but this level of isolation and lonelyness in an atmosphere of danger and need to find any way out, even GLaDOS's, was intense.

At the end I still felt alone, but a good type alone, the type of alone you feel when you have climbed a hill to the top just to see the sun rise. A hopeful moment of thought and relief, you still have a journey ahead of you but you've already made past the worst...the beginning.

Hehehe.

But seriously, Portal was pretty good.

Portal was good and fun but it didnt really 'get through to me' in the way you are talking about.

I like the turrets too :D.

They are cool. :LOL:

I must say, I think the tensest I've been when playing any game was when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and GLaDOS was all "goodbye" and I was all "no way". It's surprising how much that can surprise you even when you know it's coming.

I did panic, slightly. Like 'omg wtf am I gona do...' but only for like 10 seconds, after that I noticed the small panels on the far wall, and after playing Portal for a few hours I knew instantly how to get to them. Then 'What are you doing, I...I...IIIIIIIII.!!..'

I loved Portal so much upon completion, that I ended up sending a mail of appreciation to Gabe Newell. I was just so moved by the whole experience. It was - and still is - unreal.

When I think about how nobody came even close to making something so immersive and streamlined as HL2 on a planet of 6 billion, it really makes me sad.

Well you know, think of all the things we learned. For the people who are still alive.

I wasnt as emotional as I was when first completeing Half-Life 2, but it was a damned good game.

I must say, I think the tensest I've been when playing any game was when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and GLaDOS was all "goodbye" and I was all "no way".

More like GLaDOS was all "goodbye" and I was "UGGGHHH **** YOU BITCH" *shoots portal gun at the shootable panels*

Portal was one of the greatest games I have ever played.
Period.

I cannot say any better than what has already been said on the internet that I love the ever loving shit out of Portal.

Im gonna be frank with all of you....

When I completed Portal and the credits started to roll up, I went away to the batheroom.
Yes, the gameplay was awesome that I didnt want to pause just to urinate, I played it til the end then I did it.

Ps. I played Guitar Hero 3 afterwards

Very few video games really evoked an emotional response from me, and Portal was one of them. It managed to cram all of the emotional experiences of a novel into a few hours of gameplay and did it in a very effective way at that.

Back