I don't know how I missed the whole steam thing...

shibs_himself

Reaction score
When did this come out? What's the point? Should I bother?

Seems just like a download manager for valve products.

no.. basically its

Half-life
Counter-strike
Team Fortress Classic
Opossing force
Ricochet
Deathmatch Classic

All for free.... I think its alot easier and better than HL's original connection thing...

It is a dl manager for valve products :)

came out last year around december or november.... if you suscribe to fileplanet you can get it there... it is quite buggy atm but it is beta and you get HL2 videos today :) also you get to play CS, HL, HL-DM, TFC, Richochet, and you get dedicated server... and it d/ls patches automatically so you dont have to worry about it... it is Valve's content delivery system for broadband users so if you have modem... dont think about it

Edit: damn 4 people replied by the time i posted.. it had 0 views when i clicked to reply

Steam lets you play CS 1.6(depending on the version you got) if you got it from fileplanet you can play CS 1.6 and half life. few other games too.

Steam will be the future interface for HL2 and CS 1.6/CS 2, Steam can be used to download new media that valve sends out. Today valve is releasing new media(dont know time).

CZ is basicly CS 1.6 in retail form with some extra goodies to encourage it.

Think to yourself.. how good could a CS game be in single player? think for a second..

Opposing forces does not work , never has since i downloaded Steam 3 times and Op4 5 times.. gives me some mounting error each and everytime.. TF,HL and CS1.6 all work fine though.. and for free.. so if you want to bring back the good old times and play HL all over again it's great.. and while 1.6 isn't as good as RavenShield, CounterStrike looks pretty good for a 4 year old mod.

You can get steam for free if you just search google but i think it is coming out today on fileplanet for everyone anyways so id just wait.

think about what ender? you do know that CZ has a single player dont you?

Steam isn't really that buggy anymore. Just sometimes it hangs during updates, but for the rest it works like a charm. And it looks way better then normal hl.

Originally posted by bonanzaguy
think about what ender? you do know that CZ has a single player dont you?

Yes.. im asking you to think about how good would a single player game be of just moving around doing kill everything in sight missions? Might as well just play with damn bots

there's more to it than that. you have objectives that you have to do, so it's not like you're just killing everything you see. and also you can put certain spins on each mission, like having a limited amount of time, or starting with only a certain weapon and ammo.

and playing bots is fun also btw

Originally posted by Iced_Eagle
came out last year around december or november....

Beta 2 did maybe...

Beta 1 came out before that... back before CS 1.4 was released. I remember playing 1.4 beta on it.

Where is the media! it will be downloaded via the games right?

Originally posted by bonanzaguy
there's more to it than that. you have objectives that you have to do, so it's not like you're just killing everything you see. and also you can put certain spins on each mission, like having a limited amount of time, or starting with only a certain weapon and ammo.

and playing bots is fun also btw

After a few days it gets very boring.. and its still not gonna be any fun.. certain weapon and ammo?

Time limits suck.. it would be annoying.. and get very boring after a while.

You sir! Need to stop staying up for more then 49 hours waiting for steam media

yeah me too. my friend was like "hey check this out. we can play the new CS on this program"

heh... man that seems so long ago

Open folder;

Steam/steam/steamui_english.txt

In steamui_english.txt i found this;

"Steam_SubscribeIntro1" "You're about to subscribe to:"
"Steam_SubscribeIntro2" "This will cost $9.95 per month.

Since it is your first time subscribing to a game,
we need to ask you for some additional information."
"Steam_SubscribeIntroProductName" "Valve Premier Pack"
"Steam_SubscribeUserInfo" "Please enter your first and last names, exactly as they
appear on your credit card."
"Steam_EmailAddress" "Email address"
"Steam_EmailAddressVerification" "(for purchase confirmation and receipt)"
"Steam_FirstName" "First Name"
"Steam_LastName" "Last Name"
"Steam_SubscribeCardInfo" "Choose a credit card type, and enter the card number
and expiration date."

"Steam_CreditCardType" "Credit card type"
"Steam_CreditCardNumber" "Credit card number"
"Steam_CreditCardExpiration" "Card expiration"
"Steam_SubscribeBillingInfo" "Enter your address as it appears on your credit card
billing statement."
"Steam_Address" "Address"
"Steam_City" "City"
"Steam_StateOrProvince" "State or Province"
"Steam_Country" "Country"
"Steam_PostCode" "Postal (or Zip) Code"
"Steam_CountryOfResidence" "I currently live in the country selected above"
"Steam_SubscribeReviewInfo" "If there are any errors below, click 'Back' to fix them.\nOtherwise, click 'Purchase' to complete the transaction."
"Steam_ProductCostLabel" "Cost"
"Steam_TaxLabel" "Estimated tax"
"Steam_TotalLabel" "Total"
"Steam_ProcessingSubscriptionInfo" "Processing your subscription.
This should take less than a minute."
"Steam_SubscribeCompleteInfo" "Thank you! Your subscription to the
Valve Premier Pack is complete.

Yeh, but if you have HL/CS retail/DoD retail they're not gonna make you pay again, you just put your CD key into Steam and it converts it into a Valve Premier Pack subscription.

From Steam/Steam/SubPanelConvertCDKeyIntro.res:

"This wizard will one day convert your HL CD Key into a steam subscription.
Press Next to continue."

"Valve Premier Pack" was the name of getting all the available mods in the older version of steam.. you could either choose particular ones you wanted, or everything, the "Valve Premier Pack". We better not have to pay $10 a month for that >(

WTF? i thought steam was free? how come Half-Life worked when I downloaded it?

steam is free.. think he's talking about older steam versions.. as stated when he said this

older version of steam

Steam itself is free, but you can buy valve games through steam. 'Subscribing' to a game means you pay for it, and steam downloads the game for you.

ok i can get steam for free 1. where can i download it? 2. i can enter my cd key for hl or cs or opposing forces and i dont have to pay ?

Back