I got the XBOX!!! My Halo 2 review.

wilka91

Reaction score
I was really excited about Halo 2 coming out and having to buy an XBOX. :imu:

So on my way back from school I finally bought it, ran home like crazy, installed the console, started Halo 2, and played for a couple of hours. And here are my impressions :

- graphics : well, the thing that really strikes your eyes is that it has nothing to do with all those eye candy screenshots we've seen the last 2 years. Halo 2 is like Halo 1, except for bump mapping (reflections). The models are still low on polygons, and the maps are very empty, just like in the 1st one. Halo PC looks a lot better than Halo 2. GRADE : 2/10.

- audio : great sounds, that's all you can hope for in 2004.
GRADE : 9/10.

- controls : awful. It can't be worse. The XBOX MUST be sold with a keyboard and mouse adapters! GRADE : 1/10.

- storyline : it's pretty good. I will abide by the "no spoilers policy". GRADE : 8/10.

- multiplayer : it is very weak. In fact, every Halo fan should own a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004. The only positive factor is the splitscreen mode. GRADE : 3/10.

TOTAL : 5/10.

FINAL WORD : how dare Halo fans even compare Halo 2 to a FPS on a PC. I was really persuaded that there was really some competition between games like Half-Life 2, FarCry and Halo 2. Now I know the truth : Halo 2 would have been a good game in 2002. But in 2004? GET BACK TO REALITY : THE ASNWER IS NO!

So maybe Halo 2 is great compared to other XBOX games, and that's probably why Halo 2 got great reviews with scores up to 10/10, but as far as I'm concerned, a person that claims that Halo 2 is as good or better than let's say Far Cry should see a doctor.
:upstare:

i have to say your wrong in every category....

Sounds like someone is crap with a joypad to me ;)

//edit - there is a device that allows you to play Xbox games with a m&k (for those who can't use their thumbs properly)

And another Halo 2 thread in a Half Life 2 forum....

This is not halo2.net

This is halflife2.net.

This post is being moved to the relevant forum.

Man this is the most awfull, gay, retarded, unfair, worst review i've seen in my life... seriously, how can you give Halo2 a 2/10 for the graphic... Are you f.u.c.k.i.n.g blind? Halo2 graphic are better than Halo, and Halo is still a good looking game... The control aren't that bad... Sure it's not a keyboard and mouse... You have to deal with it. It's a console. You need some time to adapt yourself. Mutiplayer 3/10... What are you smoking? The multiplayer part is pretty damn nice. Why did you bought a Xbox? Only to play Halo2? What did you excepted? For christ sakes, you should know the control are different from PC. Sorry, I think you suck at reviewing a game.

Let me add... If you gave Halo2 3/10 for the multiplayer part.. Shit man, Half-Life deserve a 2... Sorry for the CS:S lovers, but I think this game is overrated, overtalked, overplayed. Atlest Halo2 got a official co-op mode.

Thanks Valve to give us a really nice SDK... By a chance we have it.

I didnt even need to see one screen to know that halo is shit... console babies can stay on their consoles.. Best game ever made for a console was golden eye 64. Period.

The multiplayer part is pretty damn nice. Sorry, I think you suck at reviewing game.

I wonder if your a console fan :dozey:

genocide604 said:

Why shouldn't they be a console fan? If you refuse to play consoles, your ignorant stubborness is only keeping you from playing some of the very best games ever made.

genocide604 said:
I didnt even need to see one screen to know that halo is shit... console babies can stay on their consoles.. Best game ever made for a console was golden eye 64. Period.

I have a console and a pretty damn good pc... I play with my console with my girlfriend. that's about it. I'm not a PC or Console fan.. I pre-ordered HL2 and I have Halo2. I'm not a Halo2 fanboy. But I must say. It's a pretty game. Half-Life2 will be better. But this review is just retarded...

That's not my problem if you don't like consolers.

I think you should sit in a corner and listen to what other/more mature people have to say. You just proved to yourself that you are still a young kid by saying this type of thing.

Pi Mu Rho said:
This is not halo2.net

This is halflife2.net.

This post is being moved to the relevant forum.

this is definently general games chat, i dont see anything wrong with him posting this in here.

Ryjalon5k said:
this is definently general games chat, i dont see anything wrong with him posting this in here.

It was moved...before you posted. It didn't orginate in General Games.

Steelwind said:
Why shouldn't they be a console fan? If you refuse to play consoles, your ignorant stubborness is only keeping you from playing some of the very best games ever made.

hes got a point. true gamers play all games.

currently im playing both halo2 and gta sa.

i will post my review of both.

Ryjalon5k said:
hes got a point. true gamers play all games.

currently im playing both halo2 and gta sa.

i will post my review of both.

I plan to write a solid IGN review for each blockbuster game that comes out for the PS2 (GTA:SA), Xbox (Halo 2), PC (HL2)

I'm having fun with Halo 2. I don't think your review is quite right...quoting your post and making comments in bold.

wilka91 said:
I was really excited about Halo 2 coming out and having to buy an XBOX.

So on my way back from school I finally bought it, ran home like crazy, installed the console, started Halo 2, and played for a couple of hours. And here are my impressions :

I don't think you should be rating the SP storyline or the whole game if you haven't at least played the campaign completely through or played a bunch of games online. That's just me. I wrote a few reviews on IGN before I had beaten them...and looking back now..I should've waited 'till I was done.

- graphics : well, the thing that really strikes your eyes is that it has nothing to do with all those eye candy screenshots we've seen the last 2 years. Halo 2 is like Halo 1, except for bump mapping (reflections). The models are still low on polygons, and the maps are very empty, just like in the 1st one. Halo PC looks a lot better than Halo 2. GRADE : 2/10.

I beg to differ...but whatever. I don't know how you usually rate graphics in games...but a 2 for me or a major reviewing site would have to be N64 graphics or worse with terrible game-stopping glitches that come every so often...not just because you think it doesn't look as good as Halo PC (which I find rediculus).

I have no idea what you mean by that...but I agree with you here even though you didn't mention much at all. Hearing bullets whizzing past your head, needles narrowly missing you, great weapon sounds and to top it off...a top notch soundtrack

- controls : awful. It can't be worse. The XBOX MUST be sold with a keyboard and mouse adapters! GRADE : 1/10.

Like Warbie said...you must have some problems with the controller or you must not have opposable thumbs or something. I think the controls are just fine. I was worried that pressing the white button to talk to teammates could be a problem (on live), but you don't have to hold the button down. Just press the button and start talking. It cuts you off when it stops picking up your voice. Easy and handy even in firefights.

- storyline : it's pretty good. I will abide by the "no spoilers policy". GRADE : 8/10.

If you beat it on Normal in just a couple hours I'd be amazed. Finish the campaign before you rate the storyline. Having finished it I'd actually give it about an 8...good guess :p

- multiplayer : it is very weak. In fact, every Halo fan should own a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004. The only positive factor is the splitscreen mode. GRADE : 3/10.

I did own a copy of UT2k4 and I didn't like the MP that much (apart from the multi-manned vehicles). I'm not gonna go into why here...but nonetheless...I did own a copy. Since you lacked the proper motor skills to properly handle the controller...I'm gonna guess you got spanked on Live (if you played it).

FINAL WORD : how dare Halo fans even compare Halo 2 to a FPS on a PC. I was really persuaded that there was really some competition between games like Half-Life 2, FarCry and Halo 2. Now I know the truth : Halo 2 would have been a good game in 2002. But in 2004? GET BACK TO REALITY : THE ASNWER IS NO!

So maybe Halo 2 is great compared to other XBOX games, and that's probably why Halo 2 got great reviews with scores up to 10/10, but as far as I'm concerned, a person that claims that Halo 2 is as good or better than let's say Far Cry should see a doctor.

Why the hell are you writing a review when you somehow leave out The Single Most Important Game Element. You should know this if you're a gamer in any way shape or form.

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay is by far the single biggest deciding factor that I take into account when I think about a game...be it buying, playing, reviewing...whatever. The things you mention (apart from MP) have little to do with games if you ask me. I don't play a game specifically for the audio, gfx, story (a good one adds a lot to a game though), control. All these elements are held together by solid gameplay which you failed to mention at all (apart from your small blurb about how you didn't like MP and it has splitscreen).

Next time maybe you could put some effort into your review (start by finishing the game) and actually include the part of the game that everyone cares about...

This review is a masterpiece, and by masterpiece I mean thinly-veiled fanboyish attempt to bash a game not even played by the reviewer.

How would the game have been any better 2 years ago?

Look, im a down right HL2 fanboy but this review is just stupid....
Never EVER compare a few year old console graphics to a pc graphics.
The gameplay can be compared
The sound can be compared
Now, when it comes to controls. You should not judge controls onless you can play other games(at least 5 others in the same genre) well and like the controls.

Now in multiplayer, according to alot of the things ive seen it dosn't add anything new to the overall Xbox multiplayer area. But still, multiplayer therefor should be put at the same as Halo's was when it first came out. Multiplayer Oringinality should be less. If it's fun, its fun.

It always amuses me to see a group of people bash console lovers/pc lovers back and forth. They each have advantages and disadvantages to them.

If I had never touched a console, I would never have had the pleasure of the metroid series (some of the best single player gaming to EVER be had), and GoldenEye on N64. However, I love my PC, and could never be parted from it either (the mere thought of trying to play Rome Total War, or HalfLife 2 with a console controller makes me cringe).

So please, stop claiming each one is better than the other, and realize that BOTH are good, just not necessarily for the same games.

And P.S., this review (which was originally stuck in the HalfLife2 forum??) is extremely biased. How can you deduct points for control when you are unfamiliar with the CONTROLLER itself! Would you expect someone who has never typed before to be able to game in an FPS as well as someone who has played FPS's on keyboards thier whole life?? Of course not! Let this be a lesson to you children, don't drink and review!!

I just finished Halo 2. It's pretty good however the Flood still annoys me to no end. I thought that the SP story could have been fleshed out more, but it's better than Halo's.

Multiplayer is where Halo 2 shines. It's easy to jump into a game and frag with a few guys.

Halo 2 is a good game however I wouldn't pass it the "Game of the Year" crown myself.

Minerel said:
according to alot of the things ive seen it dosn't add anything new to the overall Xbox multiplayer area. But still, multiplayer therefor should be put at the same as Halo's was when it first came out.
  • dual wielding
  • vehicle jacking
  • new vehicles
  • new weapons
  • rebalanced weapons
  • better maps
  • updated maps
  • more gametypes
  • more gametype options
There's your new additions.

stigmata said:
  • dual wielding
  • vehicle jacking
  • new vehicles
  • new weapons
  • rebalanced weapons
  • better maps
  • updated maps
  • more gametypes
  • more gametype options
There's your new additions.
  • the crates can move!

your final word makes you lose all credibility im sorry

wilka91 said:
I was really excited about Halo 2 coming out and having to buy an XBOX. :imu:

:upstare:

The graphics are actually better than most PC fps.[sarcasm]Oh and I guess having nonstop monsters coming at me is an empty map, guess the game sucks [/sarcasm]. Controls are actually very good and the multiplayer is awesome considering I have not experienced even a little bit of lag or choppiness.

I wonder if your a console fan

Yea, I wonder if the thread author is a PC Fan...

it is very weak. In fact, every Halo fan should own a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004. The only positive factor is the splitscreen mode. GRADE : 3/10.

This person obviously has not played either of the two games, and let alone, had a good experience with the multiplayer. Again, you've not played Halo like it was meant to be played.

Suiting. I dont think you have many friends that have Halo 2, or that want to play it. Suckey or not, I dont think you should bash a console game, because your more inclined to PC. If your inclined to PC, stick to it. If your inclined to game, stick to everything.

Zeus said:
The graphics are actually better than most PC fps.[sarcasm]Oh and I guess having nonstop monsters coming at me is an empty map, guess the game sucks [/sarcasm]. Controls are actually very good and the multiplayer is awesome considering I have not experienced even a little bit of lag or choppiness.
Oh, and don't forget all those vehicles and physically-simulated objects that aren't anywhere to be found in the singleplayer campaign!

:dozey:

And good point on the graphics being better than what most PC games can produce. Some people just can't seem to fathom that it's easier to develop engines for specific hardware than it is to develop an engine for a near-infinite number of hardware configurations. That's part of the reason why Halo PC ran pretty terribly on hardware far superior to the Xbox.

Looking at wilka's other posts it is quite obvious what he is, a troll. He goes around to Halo 2 threads making an ass of himself.

Foxtrot said:
Looking at wilka's other posts it is quite obvious what he is, a troll. He goes around to Halo 2 threads making an ass of himself.
Yeah, what's it at now, four or so? What an ass.

He just can't handle a console shooter being popular.

*hugs my PS2, then starts up GTA:San Andreas* ahh..im so glad i got rid of my Xbox! Horrible console, with horrible games..people should know better than get games from sell-outs like Bungie. Halo would have been a good game if it came out on PC 4-5 years ago like it was supposed to do! Im glad i got a PS2! Sony thinks about their customers and makes it back-compitable and you dont have to buy a fricking remote to watch DVD´s with it.

edit: the last part has nothing to do with Halo 2 i just wanted to bash Xbox..

Although I think that this "review" *cough* is totally biased and stupid, I don't find anything truly new or revolutionary in halo2. Sure, it provides pure, arcade fun for hours....but it's not anything close to revolutionary. Maybe you could name one thing that makes this game different from other straightforward shooters in the past....oh...what was that..DUAL WEILDING!? come on!

Halo2 fanboys were really setting themselves up for dissapointment. They had too high expectations, thought that this game was going to be revolutionary and amazing (mostly due to the intense amount of advertizing the game got) and were thoughoghly dissapointed.

I counted 15 threads with titles "halo 2 a dissapointment" or "halo 2 is a complete joke" on the bungie forums the day after release.

Ironically, only people who had extremley low expectations for halo2 like die-hard hl2 fans had great fun with the game(which I did).

Halo 2 is decent from how far i played, it is a good opponent for Hl2, Graphics are good, Singleplayer seems go so far, some physics :) Controls are awesome if you get use to them, i like them better then pc, dual wielding, that was hard to code in apparently, but is fun, gets annoying at some parts, this game has challenge, really fun multiplayer, fooling around on the maps, i dunno about you, but this game is really good...

Edit: Why do people always bash the xbox? because it is made by microsoft, explain, i find it very fun, even funer then ps2 IMO, but please, just give me really good reasons instead of,It sucks, its horrible etc. etc. Just a couple really good reasons

Name a game that is 'revolutionary' theotherguy :) (I don't think HL2 will be. Evolutionary - sure)

I doubt many people had such high expectations from Halo 2 - most just wanted more of the same, but with online play.

There's always someone moaning after a games release - the vocal minority. For every one of those 15 posts on the bungie forum there are 1000's of happy Halo fans playing Halo 2 'till their thumbs are raw and their eyes bleed.

Back