I Have No Idea About Laptops (Help)

Zephos

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I actually have no knowledge, please bear with me.

I'm studying and potentially living in Japan for the next year or so. I need a laptop to assist me in this endeavour. The issue is I may be moving every six months or so, so a desktop doesn't seem viable unless reselling is a thing.

My budget is $800 as a soft maximum. $1000 at the very most.

Features I most definitely need:- Ability to do video editing quite briskly.
- Not being a sluggish piece of shit that'll break in a few months.- Being able to play something like DOTA 2, at the lowest settings.

Features I'd like:
- Being able to play the majority of games out now. Not really seeing it as a future proofing thing. Apparently gaming laptops don't really exist.

The dilemma is, if I can get something that can do the former for a very cheap price, should I just get that and invest the money elsewhere, perhaps in a 3DS or console?

Anyway, does anyone have good suggestions of Laptop makes/builds/manufacturers/sellers? I'm in Australia, so I think things like newegg might be out of the question.

Thank you <3

I like Lenovo for laptops. This one is $879, and would do any game out today at probably high settings. You could probably find slightly older versions of this model for under $800

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y400/?sb=:000001C9:0000C8AA:

The biggest problem for you is going to be finding a 1080p laptop. At least, one that had the storage space you'll need (you'll need a lot when working with video), and that can do gaming, at $800. Laptops are kinda shitty to use for video editing, unless you buy a monitor to use with it. If you can do that, then that'll make it a lot easier.

Thanks Krynn, I was considering some Lenovo models. Pretty hard to find many Thinkpads in Australia that aren't stupidly expensive. On a lark I found this Samsung model NP355V5C for $500.

The specs for it are:
Radeon 7670m 1GB
AMD A6-4400m 2.7gHz
4gb RAM (might get another four for $30)
500gb SATA Drive
Windows 8 64bit

15.6" screen (not 1080p sadly)

It seems to run most of what I'd like gaming wise, and the only major cons are no 1080p and a mediocre hard drive. However I was always planning on getting a fairly huge external and keeping my internal drive pretty neat and empty. Reviews are mixed but most seem pretty content with it. Might pop in tomorrow and check it out in person, see how the weight and all is.

I'm keeping on the lookout for any Lenovos.

Back