I was wrong about Human Revolution: Director's Cut and this is good

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
So Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut: The Return of the Subtitle is out on the 22nd/25th depending on where you live on Wii U, PS3, 360 and PC. I originally thought that they weren't going to offer an upgrade for people with the original game (and that seems to be true for the PS3 and 360 versions) but if you have the Steam version of Human Revolution you can upgrade to the DC for £6.99/€7.99/$9.99 and for £3.49/€3.99/$4.99 if you have both the base game and the Missing Link already. If you have neither it'll be £12.99/€19.99/$19.99.

To be honest I was prepared to buy it again outright, but I'm not exactly disappointed that I only have to pay €4 for it. Director's cut includes:

• Boss fights reworked so that they can be fought with stealth, navigation and hacking, not just guns blazing
  • New Game+ (start over again with all guns and upgrades)
  • The Missing Link DLC is worked into the main champaign instead of as a separate unconnected experience
  • The other DLCs are included too (a couple extra guns and a short mission featuring Tracer Tong basically)
  • Developer's commentary and a making of documentary
  • Wii U version has enhancements involving the tablet controller touchscreen. I think these are worked in via Smartglass and Vita play on the 360 and PS3 versions. I heard there might be a companion app on iOS to bring this stuff to the PC version too but I can't find any confirmation of that.
  • I think more than one battery recharges naturally too (again hard to find confirmation on this bit)
  • Steam trading cards
  • Full controller support and partial controller support at the same time somehow!
Steam store page. You can't buy it yet but you can check out Adam's hilarious angry face in the banner.

This is great news. I too was ready to pay full price again, just because it fixed the only two issues I had with the game. The upgrade option is an awesome bonus.

Awesome, glad I waited to retry it. Gonna try for a stealth/no kills run in light of the new changes, since I played balls-out assault rifles and rocket launchers my first try.

You should try playing total pacifist. It's actually very possible to complete the game without even knocking anyone out, though you still have to kill the four bosses. Five bosses I guess now, considering the Missing Link will be included but for him you actually can knock him out.

Very cheap if you own the original. Even cheaper if you own the awful Missing Link DLC. Definitely picking this up.

• Steam trading cards
  • Full controller support and partial controller support at the same time somehow!
Those are features you include in an expansion/game of the year edition?

Wut.

Why do I need to pay 10 bucks for a patch?

It should be free for everyone. Also, where's the new content they promised?

Can we please use full sentences? I've always found the quote arrow method of attempting to make a point (or whatever the hell you call it) extremely obnoxious. Also what new content specifically was promised?

Some of these posts make me wish infractions were still handed out. At least say something with full sentences to add to the conversation or make your trolling or unending pessimism funny.

I'm excited for this. It may seem like very little, but in the end it's a lot more than most game companies are willing to do, even for a small fee. After these fixes it'll be pretty close to one of my favorite SP action games of all time. Very much looking forward to it, especially considering how reasonable it is for folks who already bought HR and Missing Link.

Some of these posts make me wish infractions were still handed out. At least say something with full sentences to add to the conversation or make your trolling or unending pessimism funny.

I'm excited for this. It may seem like very little, but in the end it's a lot more than most game companies are willing to do, even for a small fee. After these fixes it'll be pretty close to one of my favorite SP action games of all time. Very much looking forward to it, especially considering how reasonable it is for folks who already bought HR and Missing Link.

How many words are required for me to express that this release looks worthless? Holy **** are you uptight

How many words are required for me to express that this release looks worthless? Holy **** are you uptight

He was probably talking about FoB_Ed's post, in which case I agree with him.
But in general, posting a short post that only serves to register your disinterest is kind of waste of time, in general we'd like to encourage discussion of topics

I guess I'm getting old or something.

I was referring to Fob's post. I think there's a certain level of cute banter that I really appreciate, my post history is an overly clear piece of evidence in that regard. Just try to add something, anything. I think KinsAesth put it well.

My barometer is how much the post reminds me of old Halo threads and people who would hop in just to remind everyone that it was objectively bad. Yes, thank you, game scientist.

Well it seems worth the price,all things considered.How old is Deus EX HR now,2 years old? Seeing as it's been on sale countless times at ridiculous prices , I don't see why people are complaining about this.It's just adding what people wanted from the very beginning,and a little bit more.Chill.

So apparently the touch screen features are not active in the game right now but they are supposed to be there. The manual says:

Play Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director’s Cut in the ultimate Dual Screen experience. By connecting and using Intel® software technology with your PC, the game will automatically shift to a Dual Screen mode. It’s up to you to choose how you use the Dual Screen experience. Control the whole game using only your smartphone or keep your keyboard & mouse and use the second screen to complete your hacks and navigate in the menus. More information about the Dual Screen mode can be found in the Options menu in game.

But no such option actually exists and it doesn't seem to do anything with the second screen right now and no companion app for smartphones seems to be available. There's a HTML file in the files that directs you to here which seems to be part of the second screen system or at least a prototype of it. So yeah we can probably look forward to the Wii U features on dual screen devices or smartphones...at some point.

Sounds like they'll have to put out a Final Cut release

Still 24 hours to go. Yes, we get it U.S.A., now stop rubbing it in our face.

In the meantime, enjoy.

I actually prefer it without the gold colour correction, but that is going to come down to personal taste. It would have been better if they had made it an option in the menu. The characters definitely look less like painted dummies, but the animation still makes them look like Gerry Anderson marionettes.

I am noticing a few changes to the AI, the enemies seem a little more jumpy than usual. For example: during the opening pre-aug sequence in the labs, the guards in the large rooms spot me in the corridor through the glass if I don't sneak up to the door. They also seem to be aware of mysteriously open doors in some situations, though that may have been present in the original.

I am almost at the first boss, so I will give my thoughts on those changes later.

UPDATE:

Well I reached the first boss. You DO still have to kill him in some way, but the area is much larger with an upper floor and two rooms behind locked doors. You can evade him at the start of the fight and stay hidden while he hunts for you. You can then trap him with hacked turrets, mines, or just ambush him with conventional weapons.

The AI is actually changed. They made some modifications to it in The Missing Link and those changes have been carried back to the full game with the Director's Cut.

I haven't gotten to play it yet because bad internet connection is making the download very slow but I was able to pay for it using only credit I built up from selling Steam trading cards so hurray for skinner boxes!

can't believe I'm having this much fun with this game

AGAIN

I'm doing a no kills, no KOs, no augmentations playthrough. I love this game.

Oh **** that's the craziest and coolest thing ever.

I think I'm doing almost the opposite; I try to KO every enemy and explore everything (including finding every path to the next area for the traveler/explorer bonuses). So basically I'm trying to get maximum EXP for maximum augs. No kills, of course.

I'm murdering as many people as possible like I always do. It's fun every time.

I've went for a blood knight Jensen. The Tyrants have a permanent death penalty imposed on them, though he tries to avoid killing others, including purists and Belltower. Things might change at Rifleman Bank station.

My personal favourite was when, while looking for that prostitute the Harvesters had locked up, Jensen noticed that the Hengsha roofs are quite treacherous. The thug at Hung Hua didn't watch his step, unfortunately.

The Icarus Landing System is always one of the first things I spend Praxis Points on for that exact reason, haha.

Patched and no longer looks uglier than the regular cut on PC. I just want my damn orange tint back :\ (h8rs go ahead and h8)

Back