Im Deaf

N

Nighthawk3729

I tested my sound on the 4 speaker setting, and it seems the that everything in front of me and the front half of me worked fine, fading into nothing the farther it got back back past my sides. This is a MAJOR disadvantage for obvious reasons, I can't tell if anything is coming in back of me. I don't know why its doing that, My speakers are working fine. Now as for my other problem. I used to be able to go into windows while in half life no problem. Now whenever Im im dragged out of the game and try to go back in, I get a message telling me that there was an engine error and that the index failed to lock, something like that and something to do with DX8. Im guessing that it has to do with direct x8, but I use 9! any Ideas? This happens randomly, I know this because now im purposly going into windows and returning and its working fine. Does anyone know how to fix these problems?

ps- Not having proper sound really takes away from the game.

Memory allocation is part of the game code. DirectX has a built in system to recache game media when memory allocation is lost but it's pretty iffy. Run HL2 in a window if you must tab out. Then it should run fine.

I don't think I got that first bit..

All 4 of you're speakers work
Yet when you're sitting in your chair you can only hear the front ones well...and you're...deaf to the rear ones? Or is this only in-game and no sound comes out the rear?

No idea about the error you're getting.

ps- Not having proper sound REAAALLLY takes away from the game :(

I have a four speaker system with a subwoofer, I cant hear through my rear speakers while in game, but out in windows, its fine.

I used to have a simular problem with my headphones, for some magical reason putting down my hardware acceleration and typing snd_mixahead .5 did the trick. Try it out.

Beerdude26 said:
Try typing snd_restart in the console.

All that did was set my speakers back to 2 speakers, a little improvment, but I'm trying to get my speakers to work completly. What happens is my reaer sound also comes out my front ones.

That and it sounds like im in a giant tube.

Back