I'm thinking about getting DoD:S but I need to be convinced

Yellonet

Reaction score
Please give me some good reasons to get the game.

The games I play online the most are CS:S and BF2.

it's nothing like BF:2 or CS:S ..it's pure infantry combat done right ..it can be either very slow moving (teams fighting over square inch of territory) or very fast (a good team can take flags quickly if they work together effectively)

If you're thinking run and gun this isnt the game for you. Skill takes time to develop and even the best of players die a lot during rounds

CptStern said:
it's nothing like BF:2 or CS:S ..it's pure infantry combat done right ..it can be either very slow moving (teams fighting over square inch of territory) or very fast (a good team can take flags quickly if they work together effectively)

If you're thinking run and gun this isnt the game for you. Skill takes time to develop and even the best of players die a lot during rounds
I like what I'm hearing... although I'm that kind of person that get's really angry when I get killed too often ;)
I like realism though... and non-realistic features can drive me mad, I've been hearing that grenade damage have be lowered? :(
But iron sights have appeared :) But what about hair cross? I sure hope they got rid of that and not do it the BF2 way and have both :(

its like CoD. you have both cross hairs and iron sights. think DoD has it aswell actually, but im not too sure about DoD:s

its not about how many times you die or how many kills you make, if you cant play as a team member then dont play at all i say. its not the dying, its the way you kick ass before you die that counts :E

Ok... I was going to preorder... but as my last name contains a non-english letter I can't write my name :(
Should I try anyway?

just write it normally and theyll understand it surely.

they really only want the name on your card lol :E

ĐynastҰ said:
just write it normally and theyll understand it surely.

they really only want the name on your card lol :E
Let's just hope they won't charge me with some credit card fraud or something :LOL: ;(

Yellonet said:
I like what I'm hearing... although I'm that kind of person that get's really angry when I get killed too often ;)

well then if you can get past the steep learning curve you should be ok ..as a newbie you'll die a lot ..just stick with other teamplayers and dont run out in the open

Yellonet said:
I like realism though... and non-realistic features can drive me mad, I've been hearing that grenade damage have be lowered? :(
But iron sights have appeared :) But what about hair cross? I sure hope they got rid of that and not do it the BF2 way and have both :(

game hasnt been released yet so I cant answer ..but if you like realism then you may enjoy this game despite not being truely realistic (what game is?) ..but it's far more realistic than any other ww2 multiplayer

Ok, just started pre-loading.
Thanks for helping to make up my mind ;)

Frankly, no game has ever given me as realistic and immersive an experience as day of defeat. My very first online gaming experience was in the original Day of Defeat and I still remember carrying my Garand up the street in Avalanche rushing into the building on my right and clearing it with a teamate before perching up top and taking pot shots at the Germans. Ever since then it has held a special place in my heart (more than CS, or any game I've played since) so this is hardly an unbiased opinion, but if you want to be convinced take everything I say to heart.
The infantry fighting is close, fast, and visceral, it's a gut-check every time you step into unknown (and therefore uncleared) territory. It's a game that forces teamwork to win and you form alliances on almost every single respawn. even if you decide to snipe or use an MG every single shot you make is crucial to those around you, will you cut down the three Germans before they shoot up an ally dashing towards a flag? No matter what role you choose you are in some way altering the gameplay of your teammates, and vice versa.
The weapons and combat are exceptionally realistic and there is almost no gameplay style that isn't complimented by one or more of the classes offered. The maps as well are designed to suit ANY of the weapons perfectly. There are dozens of prime sniping spots, tons of brilliant spots to set up an MG, many routes to objectives which favor assaulting classes, and perfect spots to rush and find cover to use slower more accurate weapons. The flag-capturing dynamic forces frantic, team-binding moments where you MUST work together to prevent a loss. You'll find that in a very uncommon thread amongst online gaming that your teamates (and you yourself) will often sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. For example, forsaking the safety of cover to ensure that a particular flag isn't captured, taking a hail of fire to pick off an enemy flag-capturer.
Although I have not seen the game (outside of screenshots and movies) reviews are saying it is the best looking WWII game available, the sound is said to be unbelievable. If my experience in the boxy, background noise laden DoD of old was as incredibly immersive and fun as it was, the new version will completely blow our minds.
There is a large amount of skill involved in the game, but by working as a team and using smart tactics even the most green newb has a fighting chance against a hardened veteran. No matter how good a player is in DoD a well-oiled team working with one another can turn the tide of a game against a group of unorganized but highly skilled players. It doesn't favor individual skill as much as many of the games out there (though there are rewards for being a good player and individual skill is highly valued and can turn the tide of a match), therefore team cohesion is apparent.
If you are lucky enough to excel at DoD and find a skilled clan, the experience will become even more incredible. A team that knows each others strengths, weaknesses, and gameplay style will provide you with an incredible experience. Developing and testing strategies is fun, and trying them against equally matched teams is fantastic. You find yourself (and your team) constantly trying new things, your tactics evolve as the enemies become wise to your manuevers.
Communication is key (I would highly, highly reccomend a microphone even for a casual player as it greatly increases your value to the team, as well as the amount of variety and success of tactics) and DoD has a vast array of commands, from silent hand signals, to screams of a sniper (at which point you must seriously consider how much you really value that hiding spot located a 5 second sprint through open territory away).
Buy the game, load up a 32 man low ping dod_avalanche server, pick a team and a class and lock and load. I assure you, after just one hour you will be a believer. Good luck, and happy hunting! :thumbs:

Pre-loading complete... that went pretty fast.

Edit: 23 minutes to be somewhat exact.

u love the way in the maps in dod, you could find like a lil palce where you walk up a ledge and youa re out on a rooftop sniping:)

Back