In Development: Omnichronia

BatKnight

Reaction score

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Joshua Carbaugh. For the most part, I'm a writer by trade wanting to experiment in telling a story using the Source engine. I was hoping to run a few mod ideas by all of you, let me know what you think works and what doesn't. Omnichronia isn't a traditional FPS mod. Like Research and Development, it's not combat focused, but rather it runs like an interactive movie. I've read that many people aren't favorable toward cut-scenes as it takes them out of the game, but I'd like to say that sometimes they serve as exposition or to move the narrative forward. So, with that said, would you (...as gamers) invest time in a mod that played more as a movie with interactive elements? Thanks for your input.

I would say it's all about how much freedom you give the player. Describing it as an "Interactive Movie" and thinking of cutscenes makes it sound like you want the player to watch something rather than play it. Drawing combat away from the focus is fine, so long as you give the players something to do, whether it's puzzles, exploration, mystery, etc.

I'm reminded of the old Myst adventure games, which had no combat, no plot, and were based entirely around exploration. Those games sold incredibly well. You could argue that gamers have "moved beyond" such things with all that can be done with the engines today, but then you look at something like Dear Esther which received a rather large amount of praise. Read this and this.

Sir, thank you for your reply and input. I suppose, looking back on my initial post, it does read that my intentions would be to take gamers by the hand and lead them around. And considering when it's put in those terms, this story should become an experience and not merely a novel/movie set within a game. I will be returning to the drawing board and working diligently to provide an experience in the vein of "Dear Esther" or "Research & Development". Thanks again.

Joshua.

Back